“Good quality, convenient but noisy”

Thon Hotel Terminus
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

I like to stay at Thon group's hotel in Nordic countries. Usually I stay at Thin Opera, but due to a construction, I stayed here this time.
It's clean, cheaper than Thon Opera, still less than 5 min from Oslo central station.
During the night, the streets generate a lot of noise. I put ear plugs, and it was ok.
Breakfast is very nice. Free of charge, great variety.
Surely recommendable.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Kent K, General Manager at Thon Hotel Terminus, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Shiori,

Thank you for your kind comments after your stay here at Thon Hotel Terminus. We truly appreciate your feedback and we are very pleased to hear that your stay was as successful.

Welcome back to us anytime.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Our Booking had to happen late, we had had a self pre-booked and planned trip in terms of accommodation up to the last day, when we had to overnight in Oslo to catch our plane the next day back to South Africa from Gardemoen Airport. It made sense to spend one more day in Oslo after our "round-trip of Norway....ending back in Oslo was the only option to make sure we made the Airport on time.

I have to say in that last day, actually the very next morning my sweetheart and I saw more of Oslo than we had in the first two days when we first landed in the land of the Norse.

So..... the day before last we would arrive in Oslo round about 11:00-12:00pm depending on the train trip from Flam-Myrdal......It was a loooooong (5-6hrs) trip but BREATHTAKING....I've never been skiing before and I've never been that close to sooo much snow in the mountain top villages and on the mountain tops and it was technically summer in Norway!....there was still a lot on the peaks and through the train window my life for that hour or two we passed through the mountains, until you could see no more.....was a fearie tale. I guess I lost myself in the beautiful cold seclusion of it.

Getting back to our hotel....we had booked in a wild spin on the evening of the 2nd Sept. - waiting for prices to go down at the last minute - and Thon Hotel Terminus was on our Radar.....as well as Grand Terminus....but Grand Terminus sold out on the eve of the 2nd and Thon was the only one left with one room.....and with the price having increased slightly, we booked.

I phoned and spoke with Daniel at the front desk to ask some questions on how easy it was to get to them considering luggage dragging behind and us being extremely weary from our adventurous travelling.....and long train trip.....Daniel advised all the patrons he has dealt with young old disabled simply made the journey by foot...as the hotel was really within 300m from the Sentral Sasjon, it wouldn't pay to get an expensive taxi. It's basically crossing a bridge over a big intersection to the north of the station and going down the escalator in the shopping center and walking one block to the Hotel....easy....and it really was....still though a short journey like this is slightly straining on the one arms' muscles lugging the fully packed wheeled suitcases (which strangely get heavier with time, instead of lighter even when South African whiskey you packed evaporates by port ;))

The Deal at Thon was to have an evening meal included, though Daniel informed me that the meal ends by 9:00pm, we wouldn't make it- shock-horror!. I reiterated to him that breakfast and the inclusive evening meal was the basis behind the booking, therefor I would be eternally grateful if he could organize that a meal of some sort be organized, we would not have the energy to go scavenge for a open market by the time we arrive.

So we arrived with the heavens having opened, our beautiful red and black umbrellas bobbing in one hand, suitcase in other, in the dark, moon-night-car-lights-lit cobbled streets and bucket rain....to our little hole in the wall........and what a hole in the WALL!!!

The Hotel itself from outside was not much to write home about but on the inside you could see a couple of seriously Avant garde decorators had gotten hold of it.....It was good...all was good....coffee in the foyer....should you be waiting to depart any time of the day.....Daniel with his "Daniel-knot" tie(you should see it, from a designers perspective, rather cool) had made sure we had a packet of foodies each for "dinner/Pre-Breakfast".

I really want to tell about everything....but I'm afraid I've already lost your some attention....so I'll sum up: Clean, white linen, walk -in shower, basin with big counter, definitely new type of light weight very nice looking curtains(everyone should have them), quiet, minibar, coffee facilities.....we got the very last room and I would say being on the ground/first floor with no view but extremely spacious was the way I appreciate a place for rest I need after such travel.

Daniel even arranged we could check out later....as we came in sooo late...If I had to go back......guess where I'm staying.....Daniel you are an angel....Takk- Takk.

God natt.

Room Tip: Download booking.com app.....everything you need is on there....taxi numbers.....hotel contacts etc.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Sháni,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay. It is with great appreciation I read about your experience as our guest and I am very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Especially appreciate you mentioning Daniel, and how happy you are with the service he provided. I look forward to share your great feedback with him.

We warmly welcome you back here for your next visit in Oslo

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Love the hotels happy colours, lovely rooms, comfortable beds,evening food for those arriving late, friendly and service-minded staff, fantastic breakfast!!! The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Karl Johan's street.Will be staying there again when in Oslo!

Stayed: September 2017
Kent K, General Manager at Thon Hotel Terminus, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Dear Brenda,

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful review with us and the Trip Advisor community. It is a great pleasure to know that you were happy with your choice of hotel in Oslo. We would love to see you again in the not so distant future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 September 2017

There are several hotels near the train station, which is the point of arrival for most travelers (given the high cost of a taxi from the airport). We chose Thon Terminus based on TA reviews and we were extremely pleased. Even with two pieces of wheeled luggage each, it was an easy walk to the hotel, most of it sheltered from rain if the weather is poor. We were greeted enthusiastically by the front desk staff, given helpful directions for using the bus and tram system, and sent up to our room at 1 p.m. without waiting. Room was spotless, albeit small. Courtyard view was unremarkable, but had the advantage of no street noise. Corridors were also quiet during our stay. Best feature of the hotel is the sumptuous free breakfast, and the complimentary simple evening meal, just right for our needs since we had no energy for a big evening meal out in the town. In short, we were entirely happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

Dear Pier Cove,

I love to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at Thon Hotel Terminus. Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful and comprehensive review with us. It is such a pleasure to know that you were happy with your choice of hotel in Oslo.

Welcome back anytime,

Reviewed 19 September 2017

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during our stay in Oslo. It is a very short, convenient walk from the Oslo Train Station. The staff was very helpful. We were able to purchase one day passes for museums/transportation right at the front desk. Our room was comfortable. Even had an exercise bike in it. With prices being very high in Norway, the fact that a large breakfast and light evening meal were included in our hotel rate, made for a more economical time in Oslo. We found the evening meal to be satisfying. On one night they had a very tasty lasagna.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grace O

Dear Grace,

Thank you for your short, precise but still comprehensive feedback. We sincerely appreciate your contribution. Great to see that your experience was a good one.
We hope to see you again soon.

Welcome back