All reviews metro station washing machine city centre hotel is located double room an expensive city street noise quiet area karl johans gate toyen microwave
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Best Western Kåmpen Hotell on the last night of a 10 day Scandinavian Trip. I’d booked the hotel a few months ago and chose it on price and that it didn’t look too far from the centre/metro. On our way To Oslo I looked at the up to date reviews just to remind myself of where we were staying and my heart sank!! I was dreading check-in and expected to be disappointed.
We were very pleasantly surprised!
When when we checked in I asked if it was possible to ensure we had a double bed, (the booking only gave me the option of a twin room) and the lovely gentleman, Robin, behind reception answered, with a big smile, I’ll make sure you have a nice room, don’t worry. Check in was easy, the reception area is modern and welcoming. We also didn’t have a plug adapter with us and Robin went out of his way to find one to lend to us with a USB attachment as he knew it was for our phones.
We were on the first floor, all the floors are typical European hard tiled floors so everything is easy to keep clean. The doors look very industrial, but I guess that also means fire proof!
On entering our room we were more than impressed. Robin had given us a two floor apartment. We had 3 double bedrooms, a good size shower room with a washing machine, a small kitchenette with fridge freezer and a large spacious living/dining area. The apartment was light, open and well lit, clean and tidy.
The shower was hot and powerful. The only negatives, and these are minor, there was a crack in the bathroom sink, the woodwork was a little wonky in the bathroom and there wasn’t any hotel info in the room. Our phone to reception also didn’t work but it didn’t take more than 30 seconds to get to reception using my legs!
Considering we were over reception and the bar area, we weren’t disturbed at all. We chose to have dinner in the hotel restaurant instead of going out. We were served by a lovely and helpful Lithuanian girl called Gabidja (I think) she was very helpful, worked hard and always had a smile on her face. The menu isn’t cheap (I’m not sure anywhere in Scandinavia is!) but between us we had a burger and chilli beef nachos. The portions were generous and the food hot and tasty. The kitchen is open so you can see the chef preparing the food and she did it seamlessly. All drinks are expensive too. We had a couple of ciders which cost the equivalent of £7 each. The breakfast the following morning was again plentiful and covered all tastes. Bread and rolls, meats, pâtés, cereals, yoghurt, cake, fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, cheeses, fruit and you could even make your own waffles.
The hotel is very close to a busy square, full of cafes, restaurants and bars, there is also a library and chemist. You can also walk easily to the Natural History Museum and Botanical Gardens plus the Edvard Munch Museum. The Metro is within 200yds also so getting around shouldn’t be too difficult.
There isn’t aircon in the hotel, but there are plentiful fans for guest use. We didn’t stay when the weather was stifling so I can’t comment on what the hotel is like in the heat I’m afraid.
If you’re looking for 5* this isn’t the hotel for you. But if you’re looking for a comfortable, clean hotel then you shouldn’t dismiss this one. We were impressed with the team that helped us.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2018

The room was ugly but new. The cleanliness was great! We were at the level of the road with a window, made us feel a bit nervous. The lady at the reception was the rudest person I have met in whole Norway during our 15 days trip. We spent only a night there!

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Christina M
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

We have reserved a four persons room and were amazing by the room. The pictures speak for themsleves. All new, large, and silent and clean. The hotel is located a little outside the city but very closed to the metro (4stops away from the center) near a little squares with few restaurants. Breakfast has a large variety of choice. We really appreciated the fans inside the room to deal with this extraordinary heat. One negative note is the parking: the floor makes it very slippery and dangerous for motorcycles...but the overall experience was very good

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2018

Nice building and very nice reception-area.
We had requested a room with balcony, which we did not get.
But the room was nice and clean.
Also the bathroom was nice and clean, but the toilet was cramped in a corner between the shower and the sink.
Also the room had no refrigerator/minibar and no aircondition. This was a bit unconvenient when the outside temperature was over 30 degrees celcius.

Ok location, just a short walk from the subway.
Ok hotel for a weekend, as long as it is not too hot outside.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2018

The main disadvantages was no air conditioning when outside temperature was 30 degree, so I reccomend difrent hotel when is so hot. Room was clean and cosy. Nice and variety breakfast, but coffee was flat.

Date of stay: June 2018