“Nice enough hotel, located near train station”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Narvik
Reviewed 11 August 2017

A decent enough hotel located fairly centrally in Narvik. Rooms were just what you would expect for a large chain hotel of this type. Clean, comfortable, well equipped rooms, but nothing too elaborate. The staff were friendly enough and the food was generally good. The breakfast is a typical Scandinavian buffet affair, there is a downstairs pub/restaurant which serves great burgers, ribs, tex mex, pizza, etc. Upstairs there is a more formal restaurant which has spectacular panoramic views from the top floor of the hotel. The menu however, is limited and somewhat.... “esoteric” and the cost…. Well if you have to ask, you can’t afford it. My advice, go up and have a look at the view, and then go downstairs for a burger.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Michael L, Salgssjef at Quality Hotel Grand Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Hi.

Thank you for writing about us here on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it!

We are pleased to hear that you're happy with your stay at our hotel and hope that you'll come back to us next time you're in Narvik.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

I stayed one night at this hotel and it was a very comfortable hotel to stay at in a very nice location near the waterfront. It is close to the bus station and train station as well by roughly 1Km or less.

The hotel is located on one of Narvik main streets that is 4 lanes. The hotel has a very visible sign on the front giving its name that you can not miss with bold white letters.

The reception\lobby is wide but narrow. The reception desk is about 10-15 feet directly in front of the front door. I arrived at 1100 in the morning by bus from Kiruna and they gave me a room right away. I heard someone playing a piano in the lobby. I am guessing a guest was playing the piano. The one elevator and stairway are to the right of the reception desk and just before the entrance to the restaurant that serves buffet breakfast in the morning.

My hotel room was small or minimal size. Just big enough but certainly not spacious. I guess the room was probably 16x12. You ome in the door which opens outward European style with the bathdoor on the immediate left(again door opens outward).

The bathroom is small and only one person can navigate in there at a time. The sink is on the immediate right, then the toilet and at the back is the shower with a sliding plastic door. There is only about 3-4 between the sink wall and the opposite wall to give you an idea how small it is.

Past the bathroom you some into the main room. To the left is a counter on the left wall that acts as the desk. There is at least one European style electrical plugin beneach the counter of the desk which has a chair. There is also a standing lamp at the desk. Above middle of the counter is a wall mounted LCD I guessing about 30 inch in size. There were some English channels or showing English shows. I saw the Simpson show on a Norwegian that was in English. Also beneath the counter I saw a mini-fridge that was empty but on.

I recall a closet in the left area area as well that had a hair dryer inside it along with the usual hangers.

Along the opposte wall to the hallway is a large window with a few chairs underneath it. A nice little sitting area. If you have one of the high floors, probably 6th floor and aobve you will probably have a good view of the waterfront if you get a room on the front side of the building.

To the right of the after the hallway is the bed. There is only about one foot of space on the right side of the bed whereas the left side has about 3 feet of free space. The foot of the bed has a lot of space between it and the opposite wall where the desk counter is located. I guess at least 6 feet except where the chairs under the window are located. Hence, the room is very functional in a minimalist way. But it satisfy my needs and I was happy.

The Wifi in the hotel did not require a password and it was very strong in my Rm402

The buffet breakast was good. There was scrambled eggs, bacons, sausage, orange juice, toast, etc.. I was happy with it.

The one night I was there I was hankering for pizza/Italian. I decided to try out Peppes Pizza which is a very popular Norwegian pizza chain that actually started in the US from what I read. I thought it was good. Far better than the one I had in Kiruna. The place is very close by. You go out of the hotel and turn right. Cross the street that is about 15 yards from the entrance of the hotel. Once crossing the street you will see a ramp that goes upward into a shopping mall. The mall has a number of stores inside. You have to go down one level and you will find the restaurant there. I believe there is a grocery store\convenience on the level you enter the place in the very back near the escalator. The restaurant appears to be popular with the locals from the number I saw in there(sit down restaurant with waiter/waitress. You go ahead and sit down and they will come by.

The airport bus that goes to the Narvik/Harstad airport stops directly in front of the hotel which is very convenience. I used this to get to the airport that is 1 hour and 15 minutes away. You can find the schedule for them online or on the reception desk in the hotel. You do not need ot contact them since they come by everytime. You can pay the bus driver by credit card which all the people that boarded at my hotel did.

Narvik is a very pretty and properous city from what I saw of it. A lot of people live here. Looks like their economy is doing very well.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert V
Michael L, Salgssjef at Quality Hotel Grand Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Hi Robert.

Thank you for writing about us here on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it!

We are pleased to hear that you are happy with your stay at our hotel. And once again, we really appreciate the great review.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Got a large room on the 6th floor in the old part of the hotel. The room could need renovation, but was really quite ok. The staff was great!! Got a light meal for supper from the breakfast buffet for my son, just had to ask. Breakfast-staff was always near and gave good service. The cleaning staff left a small gift (crayons, balloons and a toy) for my son. The view from the upper floors are great, and even better from the 7th floor restaurant "Linken". Location near the city centre, shopping centre as nearest neighbor, included parking (in parking house) in the room-rate, and 2-3 minute walk to the train station.

Summary: not the newest rooms, but I'd come back because of the staff.

Room Tip: A bit of noise from the railroad and main road, but i guess all hotels in Narvik "suffer"...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hi!

Thank you for writing about us here on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it!

We're pleased to hear that you are happy with your stay at our hotel.

We also have big plans for renovation of the old part of the hotel, and will start the work this autumn.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Awful room and high fee if travelling with a dog. Smells bad, not clean and needs renovation. These rooms are not shown in the Hotel pictures. Fee for a dog was 250NOK. This Hotel is not for dog owners!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Hi!

Thank you for writing about us here on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it!

We always strive to provide our guests with the best possible experience, and regret that we did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately we have to demand a fee for dogs, since the room need extra cleaning afterwards. This is to ensure that allergic people don't have a reaction in the room.

For your information we also have big plans for renovation of the old part of the hotel, and will start the work this autumn. We hope that you will give us another chance the next time you're in Narvik and want to tell you how much we appreciate your review.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

We were only staying at Narvik overnight on our way to Kiruna but found this hotel to be well located and reasonably priced. The staff were friendly and both the rooms and breakfast of good quality. It is only a short walk from the train station and there is a bus station across the road.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi.

Thank you for writing about us here on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it!

We are pleased to hear that you are happy with your stay at our hotel. And once again, we really appreciate the review.

Quality Hotel Grand Royal

Also consider these accommodations in or near Narvik
0.6 km away
20.5 km away
Evenes Fjordhotell
Evenes Fjordhotell
#2 of 2 in Bogen i Ofoten

Been to Quality Hotel Grand Royal? Share your experiences!