Vadso Fjordhotell AS(Vadso)(Great Value!)
US$117
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
US$144
US$112
All reviewsgreat breakfaststayed herehotel restaurantvery nice hotelindigo
Reviewed 10 January 2017

I read reviews before going and I can not believe the bad reviews the hotel has received. I told the receptionist I have come for a little 24 hour break to get some rest and I was given a lovely little suite with a sitting area and desk in one room and a separate bedroom with a large, comfortable double bed and enormous soft pillows, and the bathroom was lovely, big and newly refurbished. The suite was clean, comfortable, nicely decorated and had a kettle and coffee / tea and a small fridge. I only had breakfast at the hotel which was lovely and had everything you could ask for. I received excellent service from the staff throughout my stay and I got what I came for - a lovely break from a busy life.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with ScandicHotels.com
Management response:Responded 12 January 2017

Dear Piritta.
Thank you for your very nice review, it was very pleasant to read. We are really glad to hear that you enjoy staying with us. Me and my staff are working every day to make sure all of our guests are pleased with our hotel and our service.

Thank you and you are most welcome back!

Best regard

Reviewed 10 January 2017

The only way to avoid this hotel, is to avoid Vadsø, and that would be the best idea. Rooms are terribly small, and a strange feature is that the toilets are placed too close to the wall to secure comfortable usage of the said equipment. Seems like this applies to all the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 12 January 2017

Dear Jørund, thank your for reveiw. I'm very sorry that you was not pleased with your stay at our hotel. You are right that we have some small rooms. Nevertheless we are working very hard to maintain a high standard, this is also a reason why we this year will renovate most of our rooms.

If you one day decide that you would come back to Vadsø and our hotel, you are most welcome. Please send me an email so I could upgrade your rom. My email: anita.svortevik@scandichotels.com.

All the best

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

I spent 3 days at this hotell on a business trip. As far as I am concerned this is the only place to stay in Vadsø as long as you don't live here. The hotell was refurbished not long ago and is relative modern with everything you need like wifi and tv. The food is good, the breakfast espescially. I even tried the restaurant and just loved "Fish & chips ala Vadsø". Fried cod tunge and pommes frites, very good! The staff is friendly and will help you with the most. Recomended for a stay in eastern Finnmark.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Anita Elisabeth N, General Manager at Scandic Vadso, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2016

Dear Per, thank you so much for you'r review. It was a pleasure to read that you had a nice stay at our hotel, we are working every day to make sure that our guests are feeling welcomed and cared for. I hope that you one day will return to Vadsø and you are most welcome back!

Best regards

Reviewed 20 September 2016

The hotel is located in the center of the town, close to everything.

If you are used to large hotels in large metropoles, you might be a bit disappointed when entering the lobby. But there is no reason for this. Up in the northern part of Norway you will be met by most hospital persons there is.

The standard on the rooms are nice. We had a plate with fresh fruits waiting for us in our room. The room was nice, with a view to the harbor area. Nice bathroom and a comfortable bed. All was quiet and calm, and we could really relax here.

The bar located half a story below the reception had a nice atmosphere, and the staff was helpful and skillful.

There is free parking outside the hotel, but the spaces might be taken during the high season, and the festival.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Anita Elisabeth N, General Manager at Scandic Vadso, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2016

Dear Sir, thank you for such a lovely feedback and it was a pleasure to read that you were so pleased about your stay at our hotel. We are working every day to make sure that our guests are feeling welcomed and cared for. I hope that you one day will return to Vadsø and you are most welcome!

Best regards

Reviewed 18 September 2016

We booked on Scandic points which seemed to cause a bit of confusion at check-in which took a while (and the keys were thrown at us across the desk so I am not sure that there had been much training given on optimal customer service) but we were pleasantly surprised to have been put into a two-room suite. We are guessing that that happened since we had booked with a 6 year old, for whom a baby pop-up cot had been put into the room. He probably could have technically just about fitted into it length-wise but he refused to go into it so one of us slept on the couch. Not a big deal. The room was fine, TV wifi etc worked well.
However, when we went downstairs to eat, having travelled for 12 hours to get there, and only petrol stations on route, we were surprised to find not a single hot vegetarian option on the menu. 'No worries', we thought...the chef will just suggest something. Instead, we just got offered the salad off the menu. I was willing to sit there whilst my husband ate but he thought we should all have the chance to eat something hot after a long day and so we went across the road to a restaurant called Indigo whilst was, quite simply, fantastic.
I think it is pretty poor show for a large chain to not be able to offer anything hot since vegetarianism is not exactly an unusual dietary option nowadays.
In the morning the same thing applied. Most of the hot foods I normally eat in a breakfast buffet were inaccessible since they had been needlessly mixed with meat (bacon on top of the mushrooms etc). Nevertheless, I must say that despite that, the rest of the buffet was one of the best I have had in a hotel chain and the ginger drink was amazing. I also saw the woman in charge of the kitchen and buffet catering really nicely to the needs of a few other guests. Coffee options were also good and it is always great to have a waffle machine and a wide range of fruits. (Some oats with the yoghurt with which to make mueseli would have topped that part of the options off).
The fun and games were not over, however..
In a rush to leave with a long journey ahead, I went ahead to pack the car whilst my husband tried to check out.
Unfortunately, they didn't seem to have a record of our stay and after 20 or so minutes, I went back in to find out what was happening and we were asked to wait another 20 or so minutes for the front desk person from the previous night to return to try to sort out the computers. We had suggested giving our phone numbers / credit card information (since clearly they didn't need anything from us, given that we had booked with points) and said that we had to backtrack through Vadso later in the day and they could call if there was still an issue but we were asked to remain. Hence we had to drop one of the things we had planned from the itinerary that day, because of the lost time.
All in all, I think that the service could definitely have been better (check in, check out, catering to simple extra needs etc) although the hotel is on the cusp of being very good and since there is a great restaurant across the street, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I liked our corner suite on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Dear madam, I'm sorry to read that your stay didn't meet your expextation and the service that you experienced was not what we are known for and it is bellow any standard. In order to improve we need to have a good dialog with all of our guests, and your case has been disquested and we have allready done som changes - regarding vegitarian food. We schal allways be able to offer our guest warm vegitarian diches, sow in your case there must have been a waiter who wasen't trained good enough. I'm trully sorry that you had this experience.

I hope that you one day will return to our beatiful place Varanger and you are most welcome, if so - please send me an email so we can upgrade your room.