“Great Sushi in a trendy place”
Review of ShanghaiTan

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

Great Sushi in a trendy place.
The restaurant is nicely decorated. Very cosy and "private setting" downstairs, however quite dark and this is unfortunately also the smoking section. As I hate cigarette smoke in a restaurant, going downstairs was anyway no option for me. So, we had a table for 4 in the main room of the restaurant which was perfect. The sushi was great with a good variety. Very friendly and efficient service and we could even order some "tailor-made" makis with avokado and spicy tuna. Thank you Feh! We'll be back! As the place is quite trendy, you are advised to book your table quite in advance.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

If you want to be in a more private setting book a "separée" Downstairs. But be warned, that's the smoking area. If you are lucky you get the floor pillows, if not .. then you will sit on (for me at least) quite uncomfortable leather benches.

That aside, service is super nice, food is good to great, cozy ambience.

Reviewed 17 May 2016

This is a very atmospheric place, great décor and a vast menu, Thai, Vietnamese, Sushi, Sashimi etc etc. It was rather dark and hard to see the menu and indeed the food on my plate. I opted for the Satay Combi, whilst the chicken was fine, the beef and lamb were rather dry and a little tough. Again the Penang for the main had rather a lot of Red and green pepper in it, not authentic in my book and the sauce was so glossy I can only assume MSG was the order of the day. About 50 euros for 2 (2 starters 2 mains and 2 beers)

Reviewed 5 May 2016

I was looking forward to my visit at Shanghai Tan, having studied the menu online in advance. First impression upon entering the premises - deep fried cooking smells: one of my pet peeves. The place is very dark, the interior decor channeling "opium den" vibes with the downstairs area (including toilets) resembling a hall of mirrors. I did not mind that the dining area was quite dark, but my friends did. Staff was very friendly and service very quick. I liked the gyoza I had choses for starters, but was very disappointed by my "sushi sandwich" which had been described as "a club sandwich, just with rice". I really did not like the texture - soft (almost mochi-style) rice with a soggy layer of seaweed sheet and tuna of the canned variety. A portion consists of 4 slices and while I am not a fussy eater, I could not eat more than one. My friends actually quite liked it and finished it off, so it might just not have been a hit with my palate...I was happy with my dessert - one scoop each of matcha, black sesame and red bean ice-cream. My friend's "Glückskugeln" (mochi in a coconut "soup") were even more delicious and I regretted not having ordered that myself. Overall - not sure I would return, but o.k. The smokers' area is separate, which is a plus.

Reviewed 17 March 2016 via mobile

We decided to go to the best sushi restaurant in Vienna, Shanghai Tan. We ordered about 40+ sushi and some dumplings, for dessert we ordered the lucky balls, bean dessert with coconut bath, very tasty. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and the WC is worth the visit.