“Amazing & delicious food”
Review of Shiki

Shiki
Ranked #197 of 4,713 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$12 - US$103
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: SHIKI Japanese Fine Dining | Brasserie | Bar in the city center of Vienna offers its guests contemporary authentic Japanese cuisine with European accents and first-class service. A drink and a light snack at the bar, a simple lunch and our famous contemporary sushi in the brasserie, or a multi-course dinner in the restaurant’s fine dining room. For LUNCH we offer 3 different Bento-Boxes (also vegan), as well as specialities like Wagyu Burger, homemade Ramen Noodle Soup, Sukiyaki Donburi, different salads, sushi and sashimi. You can enjoy these dishes from 12.00 am all day long.
Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

Just got back from Peru but Shikis Ceviche tops even highest expectaions. Also the Burger with Wagyu-beef was delicious and our over all experience was 5/5 ! We also had sashimis and makis! We will be definitely back to try more dishes! From cocktails to yummie warm chocolate cake, the menu is extensive and the tastes are excellent.

1  Thank xyzanyone

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Even though you would think that one should eat Austrian food in Austria we were very pleased that we found this place to enjoy excellent food from extensive menu.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

I do love the SHIKI. Whenever I have a special occasion, I can be sure that visit in SHIKI is a celebration at every level and of any kind.
Invite someone you want to reward for something special. The visit in Chiki will server this very feeling.

Now about the food. Always, ALWAYS excellent and innovative. Just mention the Oysters. I was not an oyster-eater. I had oysters once in my life. Thank you very much.But no thank you.
And then: Shiki's oysters. OMG!!! DIVINE. I don't know where they get them from, but I must admit, I took another portion. It was incredible.

Sushi. YES! DO! TAKE! THE! SUSHI!!! No more comments.

The fish, usually some sweet water fish with a very special preparation is always recommendable. Always.

And everything else.

The salads used to be on the rather over-seasoned side. Well, not my taste. Too much vinegar. IN THE PAST. I have mentioned this once or twice, and now, the lads are very, vey good. Never the less, maybe a salad is not the stuff you visit the Shiki for. Go there for the best Sushi you can get - literally - anywhere. You cannot get better sushi anywhere.

So, go, eat, be happy.
Be prepared to pay quite an amount. Yes. But I am sure you will not regret it.

1  Thank Christian B
Reviewed 13 June 2018

There are 5 restaurants with 2 Michelin stars in Vienna and 9 with one star. From all of them, and a plethora of other worthtrying restaurants, without stars, I chose for our Saturday night fine dining in ViennaI, exactly Shiki and I am extremely satisfied with my decision!

As always I searched the internet for the info to target the most interesting 2 restaurants to visit for the short time we were in Vienna. I read a lot. Especially on  Tripadvisor, where I publish  parttially my reviews. The most I pay attention to are the answers of the managers of the restaurants/hotels to criticism. Some day I will write an article exactly for this type of cusotmer management, but this will happen some day in the future after more research.

Exactly one such answer by the owner of Shiki, Joji Hattori, impressed me a lot and I decided that this is exactly the place I want to visit. Hattori-San accepts criticism and apologizes for the mistakes made by the staff of the restaurant with great dignity, and tells about the concept of the restaurant, about the Japanese tradition, of his desire to do things well as an inner need, not for recognition.

See ....

.... Very cool interior, bistro type- modern, Japanese minimalism, the toilet seems to be another world with smart seat and proper instruction for its use :), bed with plush upholstery for resting, living tree, classical music for relaxation and hand cream, so that your skin is soft after you wash your hands;

.... Visible behind a big window kitchen, so you can see what is happening there;

.... The sushi masters who skillfully work at the open sushi bar.

Felt ....

.... The waiters are young people, who communicate with ease with the customers, behave friendly rather than haughty, as expected in a cliché for a restaurant with a Michelin star;

.... All kinds of playful textures in the food- crispy vegetables, crisps, green cucumber, which is even crisper than ripe, tender jellies, fine sauces, lean meats.

Listen ....

.... Funk, covers in the Caribbean arrangement, Caro Emerald- nice music;

.... Relaxing classical music in the toilet, it's like you're in a whole other place where you can take a break from the noise of a dynamic city.

Smell ....

.... When you enter the restaurant you feel that they are working with fish, because the sushi masters are here and they do with measured, precise movements wonderful appetizing rolls.

Tasted ....

.... Sushi- very tasty, there are variants with tempura from softshell crab, shrimp and any other;

.... Venison- very fragile, right on the edge of medium and well-done;

.... Turbot in three variants- all three very interesting and lightweight;

.... Sorbet- they will surprise you with exceptional variations;

.... Only in one of the dishes I had a lobster, which was an idea stringy, but it is common in this type of seafood, and anything else around it on the plate was at an exceptional level.

See the full review and a movie about Shiki, as well as about other interesting places I visited in Bulgaria and the world, on my blog placescases.com.

3  Thank PlacesCases
Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

Delicious Sushi, very high quality of fish, every piece was already prepared with it’s own soy sauce, also fresh wasabi was served. The restaurant has a wide choice of Sake and wines.
Chic ambient in a very central position, service was very attentive. Would definitely come back again!

1  Thank I_Globetrotter_I