“Nice cafe with good vibes”

Balthasar Kaffee Bar
Ranked #2 of 186 Coffee & Tea in Vienna
Neighbourhood: Leopoldstadt
Neighbourhood: Leopoldstadt
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Came across the name of this bar in a Monocle guide, and usually I'd take their suggestions with a pinch of salt as they don't always recommend the best or cheapest in any city. But I was pleasantly surprised that this unpretentious cafe is inexpensive, comfortable, hip and modern at the same time. Probably for that reason the cafe was almost full outside and had really good vibes with Viennese folk enjoying their slow Monday coffee. Of course, I should say something about the cappuccino, which is among the best I've had in a cafe in any city in the world. There are seats by the road where you can enjoy some people watching, but if you happen to find a space indoors it's also good for that too. Service with a smile. Perhaps my only regret is that I didn't get any cake, which I heard was good and also priced very reasonably. Then again I'm sure I'd find myself back in Vienna some day soon, and Balthasar is definitely a place that I'd visit again.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

I did not know this café existed until a friend who lives nearby took me there after work today - revelation! As a lover of flat whites (unfortunately harder to find in Austria as a unicorn) I was more than pleasantly surprised. Just as good and artfully decorated than I remember my favourite coffee beverage from first encountering in Australia. Well done - will be back soon!

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Their cappuccinos and pastries are great! Staff is lovely. Cash only but there is a bank machine nearby so no real issue e there.

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Excellent place for a quick stop - top quality coffee & lovely pastries, filled rolls and mini cakes. Just be aware that it's cash only here. Thoroughly recommend a visit.

1  Thank jmsDevon
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place on Trip Advisor and I'm so glad I did! Really good coffee and pastries, friendly staff and the decor/atmosphere are adorable! Thanks for a great visit! I'll be returning again!

1  Thank Britta M
balthasar1111, Inhaber at Balthasar Kaffee Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

dear britta, thnx so much and see you soon. otto ☕️☀️