“Short rib nigiri!!! Oh my god!!”
Review of Mercado

Mercado
Ranked #197 of 4,786 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$9 - US$23
Cuisines: Latin, South American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: Chef and partner Javier Vera Alarcon creates a very current version of the fantastic Peruvian Nikkei Cuisine. He last worked at the best rated Nikkei Restaurant in the world - Maido in Lima - and shows an easy understandable version of these very refined flavors! All this combined with regular cultural and musical events will make you enjoy your evening in this colorful restaurant.
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Perfect example of Peruvian-Japanese food (nikkei)! Cerviche was one of the best ever, aji gallina chicken was so tasty... Short rib nigiri was probably one of the best things I've ever tasted... Lomo saltado was cooked with more vinegar than usual which made it taste even better... Pisco sour was the perfect match for the fantastic food!

Reviewed 16 April 2018

The food was good, my congratulations for the cook. The food was really tasty.

The pisco sour was OK. The portions were tiny and the prices high...hmmm! :)
That all would have passed if the service wouldn't have been so bad.
We booked a table, and we got to the place it was located in a dark area. We requested to be moved to the light zone but it was denied with a lie...we were disappointed. "That area is closed on Sundays", they said. But they sat people there after us.

At ordering, we were clear in our choices but the waiter just mixed up and tried to blame it on us. Incredible!

One of our friends asked for two sticks of "anticuchos" on her dish. Small portions and one stick only is really too small, so an extra stick was ordered. That would have mean two orders in one dish...well, she got TWO DISHES! Horrible! And, that order was also clear! We all speak German, English and Spanish....so could not have been the language.

I just feel pity on the cook. He does a big effort in the kitchen, and the waiters outside spoil it all!

1  Thank lbailondecardenas
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Hi, I'm Peruvian so I have to be honest and strict with my opinion, the makis were the best thing of all, they taste really like in Peru and that's amazing but is bad that you have only 2 flavors and a little bit pricey. Las empanadas tasted good but for example that one with of lomo saltado could taste better not using that smash meat but better cutting from a steak like in Peru. El anticucho, sadly I asked for the original one and they didn't have, so I ask for chicken, that was the worst thing there, one simple stick with 4 small pieces of chicken almost 6 euros is really expensive and is not characteristic of a Peruvian Restaurant, you could improve that better like maybe adding some potatoes or giving more sticks with meat. La chicha morada, I asked one and the brought me with Gas, I tried didn't have any flavor just a bit of color and that dissapointed because I was looking to drink chicha morada not other kind of Austrian soda. And the last suggestion. At the beginning you could replace the nachos with salt banana chips like in Peru. The experience was 6/10 I expected as a Peruvian better dishes there is a lot of things to improve, the place is perfect the environment too, just maybe more variety of makis, that would be great, maybe of you know there is a Peruvian eating there, to make all the food classic like in Peru and not like for Austrian taste, In Tanta restaurant in Barcelona, they mostly ask if there is one Peruvian in the table. So that will make you to be more strict about the food you give. Finally I hope to come back and you change this details that maybe other peruvians will appreciate or people that knows how we eat in Peru. Will come back soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Mercado was recommend to me by a friend who usually knows where all the good restaurants are. I can say that I was not disappointed. Mercado is an outstandingly good restaurant not only for their world class Ceviche but also for the competent, moreover, friendly staff. As mentioned before the Ceviche is really good and tasty. I can also recommend the octopus grill sticks and the empanadas.

However, I have to say that short term reservations are, in my opinion, problematic. I wanted to come with 3 friends but they only had a table for 2 left. After we had our meal I noticed that there were still a few tables left without people eating on them. I wondered why they said to me that everything was booked.

To conclude, good food in addition to a nice ambiance. Book your table atleast a day in advance. Not the cheapest place but I think it is worth it.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Efficient and easy reservation system. Food is nice and not expensive. Friendly service. Casual atmosphere. Will come back!