“It's like coming home!”

The Cake Tree
Ranked #22 of 134 Dessert in Vienna
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Neighbourhood: Leopoldstadt
Description: Vienna's best homemade desserts. A small, intimate café with freshly homebaked desserts, breads and scones. Weekly breakfast and lunch menu, weekend brunch menu. Great coffee and tea. Welcoming for families and young children. Watch us bake and prepare all our dishes right in front of you!
Reviewed 7 August 2018

I have been going to The Cake Tree for almost a year and it is my go-to place for meeting up with friends for cake & coffee/tea. Many visitors & expats complain that service in Viennese restaurants is either poor or unfriendly. Not here! You will feel like part of the family, whether you speak English or German! The cakes are always fresh and you can watch them being made. The best part is smelling them in the oven. I could close my eyes and be transported back to my childhood with my grandmother baking pies. Anne, Andy, and the rest of the staff do everything they can to make you comfortable & happy, whether you have children, dogs, or babies. A carafe of water garnished with lemons is automatically provided when you sit down. I have so many favorites & have tried almost everything and have never been disappointed. Pavlovas, homemade granola with fresh fruit & yogurt, pancakes, french toast, omelets, quiche, scrambled eggs with homemade bread, jacket potatoes with baked beans, cheesecake, fruit tarts, and did I mention the scones? The scones are served up with lemon curd, cream, jam, & butter & are to die for! Naturally you can have cakes made for any occasion & it is magical to watch the cakes being decorated. You can eat inside or in the garden under a huge red umbrella or take your treats & coffee home. The Cake Tree is located on a quiet street, a few blocks from Lasallestrasse in the second district and is close to the Praterstern U2/U1 connection.

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

This cafe is going to have to be a regular haunt as there are so many delicious cakes to choose from that I'm just going to have to try them all, several times, before I could possible chose my favourite! I've also been lucky enough to sample several of Anne's occasion cakes and they are the stuff of foodie dreams - there's never any left at the end of a party so if you need cake for breakfast you head for the café. Anne and her staff are wonderfully warm and friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Everyone should visit!

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

I have been a frequent visitor to the Cake Tree ever since they opened a year ago. The cozy, fun atmosphere makes it the perfect spot for a meet up with friends, a relaxed business meeting, or a fun, special treat. Annne, the owner, and her staff clearly enjoy their customers and their work. They are always working on some yummy creation right in front of you and love chatting about what they are making. My personal favorite is the Guinness Chocolate Cake which Anne turned into a huge cake for my birthday party. You’ll love this place!

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Have visited this local cafe several times...always something new to try!
Iced coffee quenched my thirst and satisfied my caffeine buzz.
Fresh fruit/homemade granola / and Greek yoghurt was my healthy choice but I was also jealous of my friend’s warmed pear and almond mini loaf- fear not there’ll be a next time!
Owner Anne always makes some time to chat to customers....service with a smile:-)

Reviewed 6 August 2018

amazing cakes in a residential, but up and coming neighborhood near prater, perfect place to relax and indulge after one too many rides on the giant ferris wheel. they also take orders for custome made cakes, i ordered one for a birthday - it was a huge success! very friendly staff, too - highly recommended!