“Away from all the Tourists with decent prices and good Schnitzel ;)”
Review of Kardos Vienna

Kardos Vienna
Ranked #752 of 4,413 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: In central Vienna the Kardos Restaurant invites you on an exciting culinary trip. Enter through the original Siebenbuergendoor to a world of Viennese charm, find a wealth of character inspired by Hungary, Austria, Slovenia and beyond. Here traditional artworks by Franz Zelezny, dating to 1912 hang on the walls, there one hundred year old flower patterned plates give authentic charm. The old-world meets the new in a fusion of wood, glass and light, a superb reflection of the Kardos family and their gastronomic history dating back more than 100 years. Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Bohemia and the Balkans are represented on a varied menu which is a taste of home for many and a taste of foreign lands for others.
Reviewed 30 June 2015

Extremly friendly the owner welcomed us and was a very good host as he fullfilled all our individual wishes.
The beer is great- The Schnitzel we had was perfect- what do you want more?
Prices are more than ok and you are away from the masses of Tourists-
but only 5 minutes away from Schwedenplatz (where you get the best Gelato afterwards, if you did nt have one of the Kardos great Appelstrudel ;)

1  Thank bolingbrooke

Reviewed 19 June 2015

We walked here with a small tour group from the Hilton Stadtpark Hotel. We had already chosen our meals previously. The waiter took our drink orders and brought the drinks and our soups. Then a huge salad was served. It was fantastic and you could tell all the vegetables were fresh. The Snitzel and the Goulash were both very good. To top it off a delightful chocolate cake was served. The atmosphere was good, not dark, and the service moved along at a good pace. Would definitely go here again.

Reviewed 18 May 2015

When you're on an organized tour as part of a group, it's easy to be wary of the restaurants they line up for you, for dinner as part of the tour. Invariably, you just know you're gonna be saddled with a restaurant that treats you like an assembly-line diner.

Well, that wasn't the case at Kardos, I'm pleased to say. Our host made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Seven of us sat at the table; the only table that was set in the entire restaurant. See, Kardos is closed on Mondays, but the owner opened his establishment for us. (I know, it's easy to say he did it just for the income from the tour, but he could have been far more "get 'em in and get 'em out, and he clearly wasn't.)

I thought the food was uniformly good, a clear cut above what you'd expect if the restaurant was just "phoning it in" for the tourists, even if the menu was pre-selected for us. I started off with raw ham served on a a bed of greens. It was simple and excellent. My main course was Vienna-style fried chicken; think wiener schnitzel, and you'll get it. But it was tasty. My wife had the grilled perch, and found it to be outstanding. The dessert was a combo plate of apple strudel, chocolate cake and a plum ragout with a crumb topping. Even the coffee was great...it was strong, but without bitter overtones like the stuff I had this morning.

Dinner came with two drinks; beer, wine or soft drinks....take your pick. And we did. The beer was Czech...the wines regional, and solid, if not great.

The kicker, however, was the owner. Gracious and attentive. He gave us the history of his restaurant, which his father started more than 35 years ago. By the end of our dinner, it was easy to feel that he had invited us into his home and not just sat us down for a group meal.

I don't know if his food can be considered the absolute best in all of Vienna. But I do know I'll remember Kardos quite fondly.

Reviewed 15 May 2015

We've been working with restaurant Kardos for a long time now and our travellers are more than happy with the food provided. It's an ideal restaurant for bigger groups but also travelling on my own to Vienna I would always stop by at this excellent place.

Reviewed 6 January 2015

We had the goulash menu at Kardos. The salad and soup were great. The beef from the main course was a bit salty. The restaurant gave each of a glass of free wine to celebrate the new year. Oh, the desserts were good too.