“Great Teppanyaki - some details could be improved”

Unkai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #590 of 4,737 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$29 - US$138
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: The Japanese Restaurant Unkai is a special example of exquisite service and fascinating delicacies of the Japanese kitchen. Dishes like Sushi and Sashimi are prepared on the highest level, the Teppanyaki grill being the most popular way of preparation. Two original Japanese Tatami rooms as well as two European dining rooms are available for private dining. Special highlight is the exclusive Sushi-Brunch, offered on weekends and public holidays. On Thursdays, one can enjoy the after work sushi buffet. Various Bento-boxes and Sushi-Sets are also available for take-away.
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I had previously dined at Unkai, but never had teppanyaki there. We chose one of the set menus, Unriyu, and it was A LOT of food. I had the beef, my friend the seafood and both were delicious, so top rating for food. Personally, I am not that great a fan of Unkai's interior design, which shouts "hotel restaurant" and "business lunch" a bit too loudly for me and seems rather uninspired and dated. If you want to eat great Japanese (fusion) food in a stylish and modern interior, Shiki is the better choice. Service was nice and efficient, but our waiter's long fingernails (!) are something I do not wish to see in any type of restaurant, least of all in a gourmet restaurant in a five star hotel...

Siegfried P, Director Food & Beverage at Unkai Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear Marichan X
I would like to thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent visit to our restaurant. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and the service.
You are absolutley right about the long fingernails. I appologize for the oversight, as we have strikt rules on grooming.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Yes hibachi is in Vienna. Now don't get the "American" hibachi in your head this is not that! It's viennas way. So a little different. But all delicious. It's definitely higher quality, higher price, but worth it.

Siegfried P, Director Food & Beverage at Unkai Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Dear Lacey,
Thank you for your comment and compliments. It is much appreciated. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the hibachi at the Unkai.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 March 2017

I like spending money on good sushi...
And this is good sushi. The fish is fresh, the preparation very good. But it's just too expensive. Not that I would mind spending that kind of money on sushi - but then it has to be world-class, which this isn't.

Siegfried P, Dir. Food & Beverage at Unkai Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2017

Dear mvirmond
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the sushi and can assure you that we always try to calculate a fair price.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
S. Pucher / Dir. Food & Beverage

Reviewed 6 March 2017

planned a trip to vienna for the weekend with my girlfriend where we arrived late in the afternoon... we decided to go to unkai after finding it online... although the waiters were really nice, my girlfriend and i had severe case of food poisoning... we both started feeling nauseous quickly after dinner (for the record, none of us had eaten lunch and the last food we had was not together, meaning the poisoning could not come from something else)... a few hours later severe vomiting started and it kept on for the rest of the weekend... needless to say this ruined our weekend (spent the whole weekend in the hotel room), as we barely felt better by the time we had to leave vienna... on top of that we gave the chance to the restaurant to explain themselves, but the only answer they could come up with was that it is impossible that it came from them... not my style to make a scandal, but food poisoning being a serious, and potentially dangerous issue, this deserves public awareness, as they don't seem to take the matter seriously...

2  Thank carljulien
Siegfried P, Director Food & Beverage at Unkai Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2017

Dear carljulien
Thank you for providing your feedback.
It is important for for us to clarify your posting in which the accusation of food poisoning is in no way substantiated by facts (professional medical evidence, lab report).
We are known for the freshness and excellent quality of the products we are using.
It is correct that you gave us the chance to explain ourselves but at the same time demanded compensation. After communicating with you again, your answer was that you will post this on TripAdvisor.
It is sad to see that a well known travel website is used for such purpose.
Nonetheless, I wish you all the best on your future travels.

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

When seating by the bar and looking from the back the sushi-shef doing daily and hourly authentic Japanese menu, one might believe that he/she is at Tokyo seafood market. Hand made food with all tricks in front of your eyes... Everything in the menu is great. If you read complaints re service, mind that the chef still does everything with his two only hands despute the number of guests. If you see a crowd, relax and buy a bottle of nice local Grunevettliner and wait... spring high waters will be gone and you will enjoy the joy of hand made sushi and sashimi. Domo arigato to the the chef!

1  Thank Igor-Angler
Siegfried P, Director of Food & Beverage at Unkai Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

Dear Igor-Angler
Thank you for visting Unkai Sushi and sharing your feed back on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed the sushis and the "Grüne Veltliner"
I will gladly share your compliments with the chef and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
S. Pucher/ Director of Food & Beverage