“A Very Accommodating Hostel with an Austrian Charm”

Yoho International Youth Hostel
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I arrived here early on a Sunday and had a fantastic wilkommen. My room wasn't ready but I was permitted to store my luggage and relax in the dining area. A kind Fraulein offered me
a complimentary cup of coffee and soon I headed to a lounge area to watch my favorite movie
"The Sound of Music."
During my stay here I enjoyed the amenities, convenience, and comfort of what I consider a
real bargain for Salzburg. When visiting wonderful Salzburg you won't want to miss a stay
at the Yoho International Youth Hostel.
Austrian charm, a bit of The Sound of Music, great food, and cool people make this hostel a
real winner!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank adrianna24sings

Reviewed 27 January 2012

I traveled with 5 of my friends from Switzerland to Salzburg and later Vienna for the weekend and we chose to stay here based on my sister's previous experience. She enjoyed her stay here when she visited on a study abroad program, and I was very pleased with her recommendation!

We took an overnight train to Salzburg and arrived at the Yoho International Youth Hostel around 4am. The hostel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the train station. It's not difficult to find, but if it's going to be dark out when you arrive, you're definitely going to have to have some sort of map to see where you're going, unless you plan to take a taxi. I didn't notice any tourist information at the train station, so you'll want to have a map with directions from the train station to the hostel handy when you arrive.

We were the only people to arrive at the hostel that early in the morning, but the front desk clerk was friendly and let us hang out in their common room until we could check into our room. The hostel had free wifi if you brought a mobile device or laptop with you, and they also had desktop computers available for internet use for a small fee.

The front desk let us rent the trademark "Sound of Music" DVD for a €10 deposit which we found quite fitting for having just arrived in Salzburg, our most anticipated destination of our trip! At the front desk they have helpful maps of the city with the hostel clearly marked which is a great resource when exploring around the charming city. The front desk was also very helpful as they booked our "Sound of Music" tour tickets with Panorama Tours for €32 each- a MUST when in Salzburg!

The rooms are just right in size and they have decent size lockers. The bathroom is up to date and clean too. We had a room with 6 beds (3 bunk beds) and 1 bathroom. One thing I noticed was that there wasn't any soap, so be sure to bring some bar soap with you. Also, there are towel rentals for I believe €5, but it's worth it if you are trying to carry a light load.

The hostel bar is a great place to socialize! It's a very young type of place filled with travelers from all over, mostly speaking English I noticed. It's definitely the place to be at night in that particular area of town, as the buildings right around the hostel seemed quiet. There is also a breakfast room open offering a small European style breakfast for limited hours in the morning at what I remember being a reasonable price.

The location is a great starting point in Salzburg. It's about 10 minutes walking to the actual city center of Salzburg where the Mirabell Gardens are as well as other well known shopping streets.

Salzburg is by far one of my favorite places in all of Europe- I would highly recommend everyone to go there! Salzburg is so charming, picturesque and contains such a whimsical atmosphere all travelers are sure to enjoy.

Next time I'm in Salzburg I'm going to be sure to stay at the Yoho International Youth Hostel because of the exceptional value, clean rooms, helpful staff and convenient location!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katherine817
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This is an ok hostel. It's very clean, but it's a little noisy at times as the walls are very thin, as are the doors into the hallways. You can hear almost every word of people in the hallways, and the whole situation of collecting your own sheets and giving deposits for keys and sheets is a bit of a hassle to be honest.
It's definitely a hostel geared for the younger traveller and this is evident in it's deposit and sheet policies as well as it's bar.
It's pretty well located about 10 mins walk from the main train station, but if it wasn't I probably wouldn't stay again.
Breakfast is usual Austrian fayre, for about 3.50 euros, and does the job, but you could pop to the trainstation and get better, cheaper food from the numerous cafes and shops around there.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlie&rich
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights over Christmas. We arrived quite late, about 10pm, and we had to wait a while at reception because the staff member was in the bar chatting with friends. The welcoming felt a bit cold and robotic. This is understandable given how big the Hostel is so big.

The Wi-fi on level 3 was very poor, we couldn’t connect in our rooms so we had to sit in the corridors, as did many other people. The hostel computers were no better, they were very laggy. There was also gum stuck on the wall of our room.

On a positive note, it is quite cheap and a good location

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed only one night, but I discover the wondeful city, and have a good, clean, safe room and a nice restroom. I loved the breakfast bar. Stay young and talk with the people there, mostly young people with a point of view!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo