“Delicious with great service”
Review of 1940

1940
Price range: US$9 - US$51
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Decorado con fotografias de los anos 30 i 40 de Andorra i con vistas a la Avenida Princep Benlloch. Ofrecemos servicio de Menu, Menu express, Tapas, Menu infantil, Platos combinados i Servicio a la carta. Tambien organizamos comidas para empresas i diferentes tipos de celebraciones. El restaurante dispone de aier acondicionado i de dos televisores grandes, para ver el futbol o otros eventos televisivos durante la comida o cena, para reproducir fotos desde una memoria USB o para utilitzar como pantalla de su computadora y realizar presentaciones. Abierto a mediodia de 13:00 a 15:00 y por la noche de 20:30 a 22:30, algunos dias abrimos a las 20:00 para dar servicio al publico del Teatre Comunal y el Centro de Congressos de Andorra la Vella. Parking gratis a disposicion de los clientes (pase por la recepcion del Hotel Pyrenees para consguir la llave del aparcamiento).
Reviewed 4 December 2017

We loved our two breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner here.

We had breakfast from the cold buffet, it was delicious with fresh pastries, fruit, meats and cheese, tea and coffee and juices.

Dinner - I had the duck and my friend had the beef, it was served in a timely manner and was absolutely delicious.

Our server was new, just learning the ropes, but was attentive and friendly.

If you are staying in Andorra, I would recommend this restaurant for sure. And if you are looking for inexpensive rooms, I would stay here as well. We did.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

My family of four visited 1940 today for a set lunch menu. Our party included two Coeliacs requiring a strict gluten free diet and this can sometimes be a little hit and miss in certain places. At 1940 Restaurant, they were fully-geared up for the diet, were able to immediately advise on what items within the menu we could and couldn't eat, and, always a good sign, provided us both with top quality baked gluten free bread rolls. Before we had even ordered drinks, a bowl of crisps and olives was delivered. We then ordered choices from a set three-course lunch menu including (in my case) a roast beef dish with salad and other dishes including a mixed fish skewer and pork loins with fries. We had various starters including a huge tuna and potato salad and my wife had peppers stuffed with cod. Desserts were a simpler affair - in my case melon and water melon (sandia) and others had cake and natural yoghurt with teas and coffees to round off the meal.

Our waiter, Carlitos, was most helpful, trying out his English on us, but also responding to our Spanish, French as well as English. He told us about his family spread around Europe including London, but he also volunteered excellent tourist advice for our brief one-day visitt to Andorra - advice we gladly accepted by visiting the lake at the top of a nearby mountain - we were not disappointed.

The price for lunch - all in with soft drinks and one glass of wine plus coffees was just over EUR 65 which we thought was fantastic value-for-money. The restaurant is part of a traditional-looking hotel, but the exquisite and prompt personal service and the excellent food made it a very special find and I would happily recommend it for a great lunch - I'm sure the dinners are good too, having studied the menus.

1  Thank Snowgoose99
Reviewed 17 July 2017

Lovely meal at great prices in a wondeful setting. The ambiance is fantastic, the staff attentive, the choice is plentyful.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Our waiters skills were impressive. The food was excellent- an eclectic mix from Spanish to British and Moroccan. My husband said it was one of the best chickens he's eaten.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

We weren't staying in the hotel but after walking past the "1940" while staying nearby, we decided to give it a go.

Efficient "black tie" service and cordial welcome. Good menu with various fixed price options to choose from.

As I'm writing this review a few months after my visit, I can't recall exactly what I had to eat although I do remember that it was delicious!

Decent sized wine list as well, including white wine from Andorra.

Overall a very pleasant evening and certainly somewhere I'd come back to.