“Home from home”
Review of The Happy Friar

The Happy Friar
Ranked #7 of 1,166 Restaurants in Limassol
Description: Traditional British Fish and Chips Restaurant, Bar at pub prices & Take Away all 90 seconds walk from the beach and Marina. Relax in our cosy restaurant or on our terrace and enjoy a meal and or a drink or order a take away to eat the Traditinal way, at the best beach in Limassol, just 2 minutes walk away.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Visited upon the recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed. Friendly waitress and superb service. The cod, chips and mushy peas was so tasty and fresh. Good atmosphere too for a Fish and Chip Shop. Definitely recommend.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank Anne1960

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Wonderful meal proper Yorkshire fish and chips with scraps/bits. Lovely staff can’t do enough for you highly recommended.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very tasty fish & Chips and fantastic “English style” pies.
Visited place for take away only but I was impressed from the original English style food.
If you like English style pies then this is your place! Same if you like Fish & Chips!
Only negative (for my opinion) is that they charge (they asked me before charging if I want) me around 0.20 euro for each box that we had for the Fish!
If a customer spend for take away around to 40 euro then is not nice to charge him extra 0.40 euro for two boxes!

Date of visit: January 2019
4  Thank 20Andreas12
iancopleycy, Owner at The Happy Friar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Andreas
Thanks for the great review! We wrap the food the traditional way in paper for free which many prefer. We offer the boxes as a cost option so we don't have to pass on the expense to those who don't want them although for bigger orders we would give them free.

Reviewed 8 February 2019 via mobile

Great service, great food. Love the pickled onions, curry sauce. You can't go wrong. Will come back.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 6 February 2019

I wish I could say this was better, as I've still not found decent Fish and Chips inside Limassol but unfortunately my recent take-away order was very disappointing.

While it had somewhat the look of 'genuine' Fish and Chips, in so far as the Cod was the right shape and the Chips chunky, the taste and texture was just not there.

For a start, the fish was seemingly not of a great quality and it didn't help that it was overcooked, to the point that the flesh was mushy and the batter Brown rather than Golden.
The Chips were nothing to write home about either - once again overcooked beyond Golden and with no crispness present (although being wrapped for take-away could be the culprit here).

Looking at the other reviews, it could well be that they were having a bad day, as if not, the comparison to decent (or even average) UK Chippies is well wide of the mark.

I will probably try again at some point, eating in, to find out whether this is the case or not.

For now, for me, this struggles to reach 3 stars, with 2.5 being more than fair.

Date of visit: November 2018