“Superb!!!!!”
Review of The Happy Friar

The Happy Friar
Ranked #6 of 1,160 Restaurants in Limassol
Description: Traditional British Fish and Chips Restaurant, Bar at pub prices & Take Away all 90 seconds walk from the beach and Marina. Relax in our cosy restaurant or on our terrace and enjoy a meal and or a drink or order a take away to eat the Traditinal way, at the best beach in Limassol, just 2 minutes walk away.
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Lovely cosy restaurant. I had regular cod, small chips and mushy peas. Food exceptional and just right for my appetite. The pint bottle of Carlsberg helped wash it down!!
Super efficient and very friendly waitress....if you are visiting or live in Cyprus and want fish and chips that beats 9 out of 10 UK places, get yourselves down here!!!

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank SalwickGreg

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great British Fish & Chips in Limassol.
Friendly Staff , great atmosphere. Excellent value.
Highly Recommended.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The whole 'fish and chips' experience was just exceptionally good. The fish was so well prepared and succulent and so were the chips and the mashed peas. If you like fish and chips you will be pleasantry surprised by the quality of the food offered by this establishment. Definitely worth visiting if you like this sort of food.

Reviewed 9 January 2019 via mobile

Visited here last year and loved it. Thought as we are walking distance we would go back. Once again absolutely amazed at the fish and chips. Without exaggerating the best we have ever had. Highly recommend this place and Lisa gives a nice friendly service.

Reviewed 30 December 2018

Catch of the Day! Not the meal, but ME! Because of the local methods of not doing things as well as they might be done, the signage is STILL not illuminated, though the owner says it has been a while waiting for the electrician! I was the only patron there when I arrived!

Why was I the Catch?

I phoned The Happy Friar and spoke to a real 'English Lass' who advised me upon request, that they closed at 10:00 p.m.! Great! Time enough for me to drive east north east, the 8 or 9 kms from my hotel on the waterfront just 1 km from the Limassol harbour to the best-looking photograph of English Fish 'n' Chips on Google… and 'yes,' they had haddock!

Now, I am finicky when it comes to choosing my salt-water fish and also in the way it is cooked.. I also enjoy chips that are a healthy crispy on the outside and fluffy and soft one the inside. I was not too hungry, yet I really wanted to eat the national English dish!

I drove the distance, but my 'sat-nav' was not up to taking instructions in either Greek or in English, resulting in me looking at signs and establishments rather than the road, itself.

Having gone past the place without realising it, I decided to backtrack ad see if the sat-nav would show 'Near me' places… No! It refused!

About 1 km back along the road, I decided to call and try to get better instructions as the The Happy Friar's locations was.. The result was Ian, the chef & owner coming outside, having realised exactly where I was, and gave me directions, including, "Is that your light flashing?" which it was! He told me that he could see me, consequently I new where I had to go. "There's parking at the back!" he added, to which I drove and walked back to the restaurant.

A very pleasant and somewhat cozy dining area inside, was negotiated by passing an outside dinning area, which would be very comfortable in my opinion, for daytime noshing! There were about 10 or 11 tables for both 2 and 4 people, all dark wood, with comfortable chairs, one of which I occupied, then glanced around to find out that I was the only person in the dining room!

There was music and songs from the 50s and 60s, which I really enjoy such as The Platters, Fats Domino and The Righteous Brothers, et al!

A menu was presented and a description of where the fish came from was given.. Kate, the waitress was very informative and knowledgeable in the subject of fish. Unusual, but rather positive in my view. My order was taken.. Now came the wait which would reveal either a bad experience or a very pleasant surprise! I ordered a Yorkshire "John Smith's canned bitter, which was rather delightful… not at all what I was expecting

10 minutes later, my order materialised inn the form of about 10 chips (my special request) and a lovely piece of haddock that was fresh enough to almost still be swimming! The batter was a lovely medium brown, very crispy crunchy and coating the fish totally. The fish was flavourful, moist, but not 'wet' and the cutlery was a fish knife and fork… very unusual in any restaurant!

As I mentioned, I was not very hungry, but I devoured the complete meal, which was exactly what I wanted!

Altogether, I was there about 1 hour and thoroughly enjoyed myself, both in a culinary manner and conversational manner, as they were closing for the New Year until Jan 4, 2019..

The meal was worth every meter I drove, the restaurant was clean and attractive, the food excellent and I doo NOT often say that!

My hat is off to the owner and staff of The Happy Friar.

If you ever want a meal of fish 'N' Chips, then go out of your way to eat there… I do not believe that you would regret it.

I absolutely recommend the place! The "Catch of the Day" was really a great catch!

Date of visit: December 2018