All reviews spa facilities lovely location old wing the hotel staff included breakfast forest balcony switzerland middle minibar trees receptionist countryside hill
Reviewed 22 July 2018

Excellent hotel with leisure facilities.Clean and comfortable. Lovely garden to wander around. Friendly helpful staff.Great breakfasts. Good off road parking.
Convenient for forest walks and local town.
Really enjoyed our stay and hope to return

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 29 June 2018

The hotel is a little way from the centre of Echternach on the side of a hill with forest facing it and extensive grounds and attractive gardens at the rear. The hotel dates from the 1920s and has a very pleasant old-fashioned air about it. Our bedroom (for one night) was comfortable but the bathroom was narrow and rather cramped. An excellent breakfast was made even more enjoyable when we were offered a complimentary glass of champagne.
It's hard to say exactly why but the service seemed a little off-hand and questions we asked were answered but in a slightly dismissive way.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the gardens
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

We broke our journey to Switzerland to see the Eiffel countryside and we were not disappointed. The room was excellent with the only minor observation being that there was no conditioner in the room. The restaurant was superb with attentive service- staff were helpful- worth returning to without question

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2018

I stayed at this hotel for a week while hiking the nearby Mullerthal Trail. The hotel is in a very convenient location to the trail with an access path just across the street. It's a lovely area with trees, river, and rolling hills. The noisy road just outside is the only thing that breaks the tranquility. It's about a 20-minute walk into Ecternach by the road or slightly longer if you take the trail (highly recommended). There's also a bus stop just outside.

The hotel staff was always very friendly and helpful. Check-in was easy and enjoyable due to the friendly desk staff. I didn't eat in the restaurant (it seemed very expensive and the reviews weren't great), but the included breakfast was extensive. The pool facilities were excellent, and although I didn't use the exercise room, it looked well-equipped.

My room included a sitting room and a bedroom and was quite comfortable. Aluminum window shades could be lowered which could make the room as dark as I wanted it to be. The wifi signal in my room was strong. The room didn't have a kettle or coffee machine. There was an electric kettle several floors below in the pool area, but it would be difficult to brew tea in a paper cup (which is what was available) and then carry it upstairs to the room.

I recommend bringing your own soap and shampoo. The hotel provided these, but they were in tubes mounted on the wall near the bathroom sink which couldn't be reached from the shower. To shampoo my hair or to use soap, I kept having to exit the shower and walk across the bathroom. I finally just bought my own bottle of shampoo in Echternach. I also suggest bringing ear plugs. My room could get quite hot at night (even in April--I'm sure it's worse in the summertime), so I opened the windows for the breeze. But there's a noisy road just outside and it was hard to sleep through the noise of the motorcycles and cars passing all night. Ear plugs would have helped.

The reason I wouldn't return is that someone kept unlocking my door with a key and starting to enter the room in the evening, around 19:30 or 20:00. The first time they did this I was already asleep (jet lag plus hiking 20km meant an early night) and it scared me enough that I had trouble getting back to sleep. The second night they did it, a few nights later, I was in the shower. I never found out what they wanted--they left quickly as soon as I made a noise. (Turn down service? Seems like they would have said something instead of rushing away as soon as they realised I was in the room.) It probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if I had been sharing the room with someone else. But since I was alone in the room, I was alarmed at having someone walk in when I was naked in the shower. There is no way to bolt the door from the inside.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the road.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank SeattleHeidi
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Really enjoyed the setting and the efficient friendly service. Lovely views from the suite. Although rooms didn't have aircon and it was an extremely hot day was extremely pleased at ability to open windows and balcony doors to beautifully cool down the room.
Great breakfast choice, Dinner was good.
What was meant to be a family weekend ended up being a solo trip at the last minute but I still appreciated the experience.

Room Tip: Room / suite overlooking mountains. Didn't hear a/c and thought it was non existent so well done Romantik in that case.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo