2,561 results
All reviews club bar the palm court phoenix restaurant infinity pool the bus grand old lady old world charm public rooms elegant hotel main restaurant city gate old style star hotel a harbour view room main gate fourth floor building work
Reviewed 25 October 2015

My wife and I spent 6 nights booking directly with hotel on-line. We had a balcony room on second floor.
What is most appealing are the beautiful gardens and the art deco ambience of the interior. It is spacious and stylish offering glimpses of a more relaxed era.
Our bedroom boasted a very comfortable 6ft bed, more than adequate wardrobe and cupboard space and the trimmings you expect from a 260 (average) euro tag per night.
OK - it needs the refurbishment which will be taking place over the next 5 months but I do hope it retains the atmospherics and not just become functional.
The tranquil gardens are an oasis with plenty of shaded areas for "dozing" (now I'm showing my age !) The swimming pool is superbly sited - 1.3 metres uniform depth - with loungers and parasols unencumbered by "ownership" towels. Shaded bar (great snacks) and M/F showers and toilets and towel service.
Breakfast is buffet style with comprehensive range of cold fare and a separate hot zone c/w "eggs" chef. Table service, sadly, was patchy and more 3/4 star standard.
The "Maltese" evening (local dishes/unlimited wine) was great value at 39 euros as was the Sunday "tea" service ( but beware - high calorie, difficult-to-refuse cakes and savouries in abundance). We dined once at the Pegasus and rate it our best meal in Valletta (crepes Suzette, too, prepared at our table by a highly competent maitre d').
Would we go back ? Most certainly.

Room Tip: Balconies are on first and second floors.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2015

Dear Dennis S,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and enjoyed most of the services and facilities the Phoenicia has to offer.

Your feedback is more than welcome and will definitely be taken on board.

During the coming months we will be closing for refurbishment program which aims to embellish the Phoenicia whilst retaining it's unique charm.

We hope we will have the please to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 October 2015

The beautiful five star Phoenicia Hotel is an historical building located next to the walls of the capital city Valletta. The Phoenicia is a classy hotel that operates with a high standard of service. It is ideally located for visitors to visit all attractions in Malta and it is only a short drive from Medina. The Phoenicia has a beautifully designed garden, a façade which is also a national monument, a nice lobby with a piano bar at the center, leading to a large dinning room with a beautiful terrace overlooking the Valletta harbor, a swimming pool and and the award-winning Phoenix Restaurant which serves Maltese and Mediterranean cuisine. Rooms are elegant and comfortable. Overall, one of the best hotels in Malta.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and don't miss the brunch!
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tarantella G
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2015

Dear Tarantella G,

Thank you for your wonderful words of praise about your stay at the Phoenicia and for having shared your review with the travel community. We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 October 2015

The Hotel is well situated just minutes walk away from the city gates. Another plus is the bus station is near as well so if you want to get around the island its ideal. The staff were very helpful and could not do enough for you. We only had bed and breakfast but the food was excellent. There is a chef preparing your choice of omelette whilst you wait as well as the buffet or you could order dishes from the kitchen such as freshly cooked kippers. We had a lovely view from our room with a balcony. The Hotel is closing in November for refurbishment. Yes the bathrooms may need updating but I can honestly say there was nothing wrong with ours. The club bar was very nice with very friendly staff. We will definitely be returning next year and I hope the hotel does not lose any of the charm it has during refurbishment.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2015

Dear Anne O,

It is so nice to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our staff helpful and our services to your satisfaction.

During the upcoming refurbishment we aim to embellish the hotel without loosing any of the charm of the Phoenicia.

We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 23 October 2015

We visited the Phoenicia hotel for brunch. This hotel is just outside Valletta entrance and is a must for brunch.
The place is immaculately clean, the service is fantastic and the food delicious. The tuna ftira is the best on the island, but don't take my word for it, try it.
The only thing is that the hotel is shutting at the end of October for 5 months for a total refurb. Opens April 1st 2016. Remember.
We usually stay at this hotel but this time it was full. Roll on next year.

Dear Peter P,

I am so sorry that we haven't been able to accommodate you during your recent visit to Malta, however it is very nice of you have have stopped by. I thank you for your nice words of commendation.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 October 2015

Stayed at this hotel from 15th to 22nd September 2015. I had a superior room with balcony. The room was on the smallish side, but the decor was fresh, the furniture was of high quality, the be was large and very,very comfortable, and the air conditioning worked perfectly.
The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble. Your bed was turned down in the evening and tea and coffee supplies replenished. You also get free bottled water each day - or when you want it. Not a cheap hotel, but I think well worth that little bit extra!
I didn't eat at the hotel, but talking to other guests who did, the meals were very good. I prefer to eat out, especially at breakfast as I don't like a lot to eat first thing in the morning. I ate a few times at the pool, and the food was good but as you'd expect with a hotel, a bit more pricey than in town. I had pasta and octopus which was excellent, and a pint to wash it down. The bill was around 20 euro. If there is a negative on this hotel it is the long, long walk from the hotel, through the gardens and down to the pool. Its a long trek, well over 100 yards by my estimation, but worth the hike! Plenty of sunbeds (free) and a good view over the front of Sliema.

I've been coming to Malta since 1966, in the last few years it has changed immensely.
The quality of the food and restaurants has greatly improved, and prices are a lot cheaper than eating out in UK. I had a favourable rate of exchange for my euros (1.40 = £1 ) so this made a big difference. The first noticeable thing about Valletta is City Gate by the bus terminal. The large, old stone arch is gone, and a new modern structure has been built instead. It has a flag pole each side, it looks awful, and does not blend in with the rest of the surrounding architecture. The other feature about Valletta is that ramps have been made around the city, which are most beneficial for the disabled in wheelchairs.

If you want a good pint of Guinness, go to The Pub in Archbishop street. A pint of the black stuff is 4.20 euros. For wine, a medium glass of Chardonnay is 2.70 euro.
When you come out of The Pub, turn right and walk about 10 yards to D'Office Bistro. Also, this is the pub that the actor Oliver Reed collapsed and died in. There is loads of memorabilia on the walls and scattered around this small pub.The meals are first class and cheap. I went there a few times for their Spaghetti Scolio Marinara - seafood in pasta with a lobster bisque sauce, which is absolutely delicious. My wife has a chicken breast with potatoes and veg. The bill, which included 2 pints lager, 2 white wines, 2 coffees, and 2 brandies (Courvoisier) was 52.80 euros. For a capitol city though, the prices in all the restaurants are very reasonable.

A trip to the walled city of Mdina makes for a nice trip. It takes you back in time, and you'll have lots of lovely photos for you to remember - or show off! When your there, stop for a bite at the little cafe called 'The Magpie'. I thought that the prices were a mistake, but they are real. I had a crispy bacon roll, which was excellent and a pint, the wife had an egg sandwich and coffee and it was something like 6 euro for the lot - maybe even a bit less than that!

The weather was blisterin hot, even the local said it was too hot. On the Saturday night at 1030 pm it was a 32C with very high humidity. If you closed your eyes it was easy to imagine you were in Malaysia.

Would I go back? Yes I would.
Would I stay at the same hotel? Definitely

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view over the gardens.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Ian R,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel in such detail. We love reading comments such as yours, and are flattered that you will come and stay again.

We look forward to see you again soon,