1,439 results
All reviews private pool tower room indian restaurant sea view island bar cocktail bar reception staff la vallette choice of restaurants il giardino terrace restaurant sa re ga ma days in advance shopping centre steam room half board four star
Reviewed 5 May 2015

We booked 2 nights at Hotel Fortina with a sea view. When we arrived we were told that we'd been upgraded to their "5 star" hotel next door the Fortina Spa Resort. We thought to ourselves great we got upgraded. But when we got into our room we were quickly disappointed. We were put in a room that faced residential buildings with the tiniest balcony. You're only able to see the sea if you go out onto the balcony. I called reception when we got into the room and asked if we could be moved to a room that had a better sea view (possibly a room that looked onto the sea straight on without having to go onto the balcony). A sea view was the main reason we booked (and paid extra) to stay at the Fortina Hotel. They told us they couldn't move us that evening but we could check to see if anything was available for our second night. We checked in with reception the next morning and they said they'd need to check with the manager but couldn't guarantee that we'd be able to change our room. Fortunately, after a full day of site seeing, our room was changed and we were able to enjoy a sunset on the balcony overlooking Valletta. We were just very disappointed that we didn't have that view/room for both nights.

As for "5 star"... we quickly realized this was not a 5 star hotel. The furniture, carpet and electronics were outdated. We were trying to find something to watch on TV and we were only able to get one TV channel. And, when we wanted to turn the TV off, it would turn back on by itself. Eventually we had to unplug it. And, we think we were originally given a handicap room because the sink in the bathroom was around the height of my knees. Being that I'm almost 6 feet tall, this was unusual for me. The shower curtain didn't go all the way to the floor, resulting in water splashing under the curtain and a wet bathroom floor. We also found that there were ants crawling around the floor by the foot of the bed, the last morning we were there. We're not sure where they came from but we certainly didn't bring them into the room. Lastly, Wi-Fi is NOT free in the rooms, only in the lobby/public areas.

Location is convenient if you want to access buses and the ferry boat to Valetta easily.

I just wonder if I would've been happier NOT receiving an upgrade to the Fortina Spa Resort.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kristina C
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2015

Dear Kristina C,

Thank you for posting your review on this website. We would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused. Please be assured that your comments have been well-noted and passed onto all those concerned for the appropriate action to be taken accordingly.

Reviewed 5 May 2015 via mobile

My partner and I were out for a morning walk and happened to be passing the fortina hotel when we were stopped by a man who I thought had lost his way. After a few minutes conversation he then told us that he worked for the hotel and that they were doing a holiday presentation about the five star facilities and would we like to come inside it would take about an hour. As we had already enquired in the hotel about using the pool club I thought this would b a good idea. What a big mistake. We were then told to have a seat in reception where we were introduced to another man who took us out to the pool area. It then became clear that this was not at all what we had expected but we just decided to sit it out. We were shown around the spa and then up to the seventeenth floor to see a couple of rooms.l then asked would this be much longer and was told we would be meeting another man who would go through some of the finer details with us ie our names, address and email. He arrived then presented us with contracts totalling £12,000 and we could have two weeks get out clause so we decided to sign just to get away with no intention of taking this "great opportunity " but no, we were then taken into an office in the hotel reception and asked to sit with this woman obviously an employee of the hotel to fill out reems of forms and all I could see was this figure £11,600 jumping out at me. At this stage we had been there for almost four hours and l started to feel a bit sick and shakey and I told this lady enough was enough and I wanted to leave then the smile left her face and back came the man not very happy either as we said we wished to leave. I couldn't wait to get out of that place in all my travels I have never come across a hotel that operates like this they are obviously desperate for business and will go to any lengths. It was most definitely not a five star hotel it felt like a prison to me and I was glad to finally get away. It was only the second day of our holiday and it was completely ruined. Fortina hotel you should be ashamed you operate your business like this.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
23  Thank Jacqueline R

Dear Jacqueline R,

Thank you for your posting on this website. We are disappointed to hear of your experience and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Please be assured that we have contacted the company operating the holiday ownership on behalf of the Fortina and the appropriate action shall be taken.

Should you wish to discuss the matter further, please contact us through the "Contact Us" second on our website.

Reviewed 1 May 2015 via mobile

Once we'd found the hotel the first thing the porter said as we approached the hotel was "5 star"? I wasn't really sure why he had said this until they pointed out that there was another part of the the hotel with a separate entrance that was four star? a bit bizarre.
The staff were all nice and as we only stayed for 3 Nights we didn't use the spa. In our room were more gadgets that I have ever seen inc 2 spa baths a subbed looking thins a foot spa and a walk in sauna. The only issue I had after trying a couple was the lack of any instructions. It was a surprise in such a hitech '5star' room then that there was a cassette/CD player from the 80s and analogue scales.
So we're there any problems? the toilet seemed broken as at an angle, thought it was a seat problem but no some plumber from Pisa had obviously installed it on the wonk! We got him to sort the flusher too which initially just went on and on.
Now if you are thinking of a good '5 star' nights sleep at this hotel forget it well in his room as the blinds only install to the spa in the bedroom window meant that all the pool lights lit up your room until 1pm because they are on a timer? How strange and even then there are still lights on by the pool. So if you can sleep in a lit room then 244 is for you. To keep you awake even more they give you synthetic pillows so no sinking into the goosed down feathers feeling! That was disappointing. All I need know is for the wife to stop snoring! Get a room at the front maybe on a high floor as you'll have a great view too.
The other annoying thing was the visit of Ants to our room on a number of occasions near the TV and minibar especially if you opened a fizzy drink. Wow they must have great smell as they were there like a shot. We met another couple in the bar and they said they had them too. Overall the room a bit tired in places with some dirty nooks but generally clean.
The food was pretty good and breakfast was quite nice. The flagship restaurant in the hotel was pretty average and the wine poor but the terrace bar did some lovely food and drink.
Location is great and easy access to Buses, cruises and boats to Valetta. All in all a nice stay but the lit room was so annoying.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Darren L
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2015

Thank you for posting your review on this website. We are disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not satisfactory. We are constantly striving to better our services to our guests and therefore, appreciate your feedback. Please be assured that your comments have been passed onto all those concerned for the appropriate action to be taken accordingly.

Reviewed 28 April 2015

Rooms are spacious, clean and in good condition. The bedroom that I had, though I was enjoying a room to myself, contained two double beds which were comfortable and linen changed each day.

There was limited free tv and wifi but if you wanted; you could upgrade the package to include movies etc.

The breakfast menu was optional but you can pay on a per day basis if you dont fancy venturing out to a restaurant each morning (10 mins walk to the nearest one). The Hotel restaurant offers a cooked and cold buffet plus the normal tea/coffee/juices. This is a little over priced for the quality but you can have as much as you want.

There are a number of different restaurants within the hotel. We ate at the thai restaurant (i believe there are 5 including this one) which was ok but a little bland and the portions small for the price. However many hotel restaurants charge more.

The lifts are very small for a hotel and so luckily there are two next to each other.

The staff are very happy to help and extremely friendly.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the lift. If you are a light sleep the "ping" from the lift will keep you awake.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank JohnGBLewis

Hello,

Thank you for posting your review on this website. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2015

The only thing to commend this hotel is the view across to Valetta from the sea view rooms. The spa pool had broken railings so dangerous to enter and exit the rather murky water and as for the ridiculous towel card system... I was sent back to my room to collect a slip of paper marked 'towel card' as the staff would not let me have a towel even though I produced my room key! The dine around system often had no availability for the 4 of us and when we did get to the restaurants there was up to a 45 minute wait for food often due to the fact that there weren't enough staff. The buffet breakfast was rather like visiting a school canteen - tinned peaches, really?! We were also bombarded by a time share agent in the hotel even though we made it clear that we weren't interested

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family