“Beautiful fresh fish ”
Review of Roots Restaurant

Roots Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 57 Restaurants in Marsaxlokk
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is on the bay and has seating on the main road, in a quiet side street and indoors. We sat in the side street which was the best option, we got the benefits of sitting in the lovely weather without the constant traffic from the street.

Every day the fish from the morning's catch is displayed and you can pick your fish, the way it is prepared and the accompaniment.

We had the sea bream which was perfectly cooked and filleted, it was really delicious.

Service was excellent and friendly and prices were very reasonable.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Visited Marsaxlokk yesterday for a light lunch with a friend, and my choice was once again Roots. I have come to love this place and the passion the staff have for food and wines. Service is exceptional but even more, exceptional yesterday was the fish. So fresh that it smelt of clean seas even before we tasted it. We had a red snapper grilled, cleaned and divided into two portions..simply divine..we were also served roasted potatoes, green salad and caponata. The latter is not my favourite, and have tasted better! the choice of local wines is extraordinary even though the place is small. No more time to take chances, I go where I know I will be satisfied.

1  Thank VictorBonello
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Went to roots twice. The first time I took the Linguine Seafood which is absolutely fantastic! You can taste the freshness with each bite. We went again yesterday evening. Staff are very polite and very educated. We had: Filleted sea bass, braised octopus, and Rib-eye. All of the dishes rated 5 stars.

Excellent place, perfect to taste local food. 5 Stars will definitely recommend and go again!

1  Thank LeeGalea9
Reviewed 30 September 2017

Last year we went to Marsaxlokk on a Sunday big mistake, it was very busy as it was market day and the restaurants were packed. So, this year we when to Marsaxlokk for lunch during the week. Our table at roots was outside but the shade. Because we had heard, it was as one of the Top 40 Restaurants in its annual awards for The Definitive(ly) Good Guide to Restaurants of 2017.

Having been to Gozo a few days before to another restaurant in the guide, I would say you would not be disappointed and so it proved right.

To start with, I won't know the technical term is but cold soup, cross between a Bouillabaisse and creamy prawn bisque soup with added bits but was just delicious. After that for main course was, catch of the day the whole grilled sea bass with just the head removed could easily serve two small portions, as others have Maltese no concept of portion size. On the other hand, just had good appetite and served with green salad and few chips, excellent fresh fish, outstanding customer care and reasonable prices what more could I ask.

Well whilst you ask, my one complaint was the restroom is tiny, and is similar to a small closet. Nevertheless, it was more an afterthought than a requirement you had have toilet facility so chose the smallest you should find. Other than that sat outside overlooking the harbour which was very relaxing to be watching the world to by an ice cold Cisk or two just amazing,
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

And amazing food. This was probably our cheapest meals on the island. If we didn't stay by the Grotto Ferry we would have gone back but it was too far. We truly enjoyed our meal. We had sea food pasta, grilled sea bass, Maltese fish soup bottle of Malta wine everything was good with a beautiful view of the bay and fishing boats

1  Thank VACATIONLOVERNewYork