“Fresh fish and appetising original antipasti”

Tartarun Fish Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 56 Restaurants in Marsaxlokk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2017

Situated in the picturesque village of M'Xlokk. Tables are laid out with care. The service is very good and polite. Clean ambiance decorated with good tastes. The antipasti are so appetising especially the prawn carpaccio. The fish soup is excellent and the pasta with lobster is delicious. My husband had fresh fish and it was cooked to perfection. The roast potatoes are irresistible.The raspberry sorbet was a brilliant finish. Booking is advisable.

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

We came here after market closing - we were the last ones that got service from kitchen while it closed for afternoon.

We all ordered fish soup and my fish soup was searching the fish - there was nothing - soup was good though.

Service was excellent and was working fine.

We perhaps need to come here to test this with the dinner.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

Had a nice experience here. Went with two friends and we had fish and chicken. The fish was nicely filleted and the chicken was not dry. Also had soup for starters - sweet potato and aljotta (traditional maltese fish soup). The sweet potato soup was very nice, but I've had better aljotta, but that's a personal taste thing.

We had dessert too: Chocolate mousse and white chocolate parfait.

The portion sizes were perfect! Not too big - as often tends to be the case in Malta - not too small!

While the service wasn't top notch, it was friendly and a maybe a bit utilitarian, i.e. focused on the order and business. People who like minimal interaction will not mind.

The restaurant wasn't full and there were a few families having dinner.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

Our guidebook said that Tartarun was the best restaurant on the waterfront in Marsaxlokk -- it was terrific. The place is beautiful, elegant and calm. The staff are are also calm, dignified and helpful.
The food was a knockout. We started with some little fish- and- curry beignets, which were nice. We then had the sea bass, a regular item on the menu, instead of the grouper, which was the day's catch. The dish was lovely to see, and a joy to eat. The fish was cooked to perfection, paired with several types of capers and olives. My companion had wisely chosen the same dish and we both loved it. I had a glass of Maltese white wine (Palatino Vermerntino) for a reasonable 4.5 euro. I could not resist trying the halva ice cream for dessert, and it was very good. The meal, including a bottle of Perrrier and a cappuccino, cost 62 euro. It probably would have been worth it at twice the price. If I ever find myself in Marsaxlokk again, i'll eat at Tartarun again.

1  Thank Howard F
Reviewed 3 January 2017

After spending a miserable New Year's Day trying to find a place to stay, our AirBnB being uninhabitable, my family and I stumbled around the Marsaxlokk area looking for somewhere to eat. As is to be expected, everywhere was packed with holiday bookings. The kind-hearted server here allowed my family to sit in the bar, then allowed us to order off-menu (we were so hungry we just started asking for food we assumed was there-- he didn't blink an eye!). He treated us like gold, got us fed, and made our day 100% better. Oh, yah, the food was delicious, too. What a treat!