All reviews murray family afternoon tea dining room four poster bed first class country house owners and staff excellent food prince rupert sandwiches fine dining wedding anniversary st clements head chef a real treat lovely grounds high standard
Reviewed 10 November 2018

This was the second time we have stayed at Lewtrenchard - the first being in 2015 for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
We booked 2 night Dinner, Bed and Breakfast.
I chose the Full English breakfast but was very disappointed the bacon was like cardboard the scrambled egg was cooked to death and the sausage was black on one side - the toast was well toasted and very hard - we did not enjoy the meal.
We had a slight issue after the first night in that when we returned to the room after breakfast we found the bed had been made but left turned back and the water glasses that we had used overnight had not been taken away to be washed.
The stay was not enjoyed quite as much as in 2015.
Overall we were not put off but a little more attention to the finer detail is required.
Come on Lewtrenchard Manor, we know you can do better!!!!

Room tip: Prince Rupert or St. Gertrude
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
922duncanm, General Manager at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Frank B

Thank you very much for your very constructive comments on your recent stay. I'm sorry we did not live up to the memory of your previous stay particularly the breakfast. We do have very positive comments on breakfast so I am sorry that on that occasion we let the side down. I am sorry that housekeeping also was not our usual standards and as you quite rightly point out we know we can do better. I hope you will give us another chance

Reviewed 7 November 2018

An atmospheric period house which is easy to find from the old A30. Our room had lovely views, was large, had character with a comfortable four poster bed. Plug points were in unusual places and the tea tray had to go on the floor behind the door in order to boil the kettle. We do not like a warm bedroom, but it was a little chilly at times, although the temperature in the bathroom was fine.
Breakfast was adequate, but not inspiring and there was a very long wait for service.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear KernowEngland

Thank you very much for your review and I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay with us. We have just recently revamped our breakfast so I do not know if you came before or after but there certainly should not have been a long wait for service.

Where necessary, we do provide extra electric heating for the bedrooms and I presume there was not one in your room for which I apologise. The plug positions are a bit more of a problem but when a room is redecorated we do try and put some in more convenient places.

Reviewed 27 October 2018

The hotel is beautifully situated and the interior is spacious and furnished in style.

The bedroom was a good size with lovely views and a super large and comfortable bed.

We were on a secret escapes booking and this made it very good value in spite of the comments below concerning the wait at dinner.

The staff were helpful and welcoming and the food was wonderful, the breakfast menu had good choices and even included leaf tea.

The dinner consisted of a variety of beautifully cooked and presented dishes (almost works of art in their presentation), the wine list was interesting with many reasonably priced wines available in glasses.

The negative was the dining experience. We arrived in the dining room and there was no-one to greet us, it was suggested by another guest that we find the manager in the bar. The wait between courses was long (very) and it would seem that the staff both waiting and the chefs were stretched (apparently there were three dining rooms being used on that night).

This appears to be an experience that others have had judging from the previous reviews and really needs to be addressed.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Duncan M, General Manager at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2018

Dear davann2015

Thank you for your comments both positive and negative. Although we never hurry our meals here, I am sorry that you had to wait too long during dinner. Although it is no excuse, you were staying with us on a very busy night in all three restaurants and normally we are not that busy especially during the week. Also many of our guests on secret escapes had booked last minute which did not help! However we are all now aware of it and staffing levels have been altered appropriately.

Reviewed 17 October 2018

We went to Lewtrenchard Manor on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis, as a treat for my husband's birthday - he has been very unwell this year and I wanted it to be special. Special it certainly was - we had a lovely room - the St Gertrude suite. This is a large room with windows overlooking three aspects of the property. There are wonderful touches in the room such as fresh flapjacks to nibble along with your cup of tea! I had been in touch with the hotel to see if we could book a tasting menu for our dinner, as another treat for my husband. I have quite a few dietary requirements and I was not sure that the chef would be able to accommodate these in a tasting menu. I need not have worried, as Tom Browning, the Head Chef, designed a menu for me, very close to the current tasting menu, but making sure there was nothing I could not eat. I was given the menu at the start of the evening and asked if it was to my liking, which I found very gratifying. To say the food was amazing is an understatement. My husband and I enjoyed every course, trying things we had never eaten before and it was all exquisite. We were lucky enough to meet Tom after dinner, so I was able to thank him in person and give him a hug!! It is not often that a hotel/restaurant will go to such trouble to make sure everything is perfect, but the staff at Lewtrenchard did just that. My husband and I would like to thank all the staff for their attention and care - you are a great team and we will certainly be back again and will recommend Lewtrenchard to friends and family.

Room tip: The St Gertrude suite is lovely
4  Thank Vicki A
Duncan M, General Manager at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2018

Dear Vicki A

I am so delighted that you both enjoyed your husband's birthday with us. Thank you very much for writing such a super review. We all appreciate it so much. It is so good for Tom to come out of the kitchen and get to meet guests too otherwise the chefs only get guests comments second hand from the front of house team! We look forward very much to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Can only agree with all Paul4256 has just written - he has expressed everything we would like to say so well. We have come here for dinner bed and breakfast on our wedding anniversary over many years (and on any other excuse we can find) and on our recent visit were delighted to find that the new chef,Tom, has continued the excellence we have learned to expect. The ambiance and friendly staff make Lewtrenchard a jewel to treasure.

Dear Bevill

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We do endeavour to make our guests feel special, even more so if celebrating an occasion so it is lovely to have feed back.(good or bad!) that our efforts are worthwhile. I have passed on your kind words to all the team. Thank you.