2,502 results
All reviews great location small square overlooking the square bread central location superior room walking distance happy hour northern lights breakfast room restaurants and bars mini bar blue lagoon reception staff double bed bathroom floor buffet style
Reviewed 17 July 2016

We stayed here for two nights one at the beginning and one at the end of our stay. Both rooms overlooked internal courtyards but we didn't mind that as we were not going to be there long. We had everything we needed. The location could not be bettered - everything right on the doorstep, including a fast food place across the square which produced superb fish and chips. The staff struggled to check us all in when we arrived en masse on a coach. This could have been improved significantly. Didn't eat here in the evening but breakfast seemed pretty much typical for Iceland and the bread was very good. If you want somewhere comfortable and convenient but are not too fussed about frills, this place is ideal.

Room tip: The better views will be higher up.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ceri C
Reviewed 15 July 2016

Traveling with my wife and teenage daughter, sharing a triple room.

We got to the hotel wright in the middle of the quarter final match between Poland and Portugal (YES WE ARE THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS). The square was packed with soccer fans and it was impossible to park the car to check in so we decided to have dinner elsewhere and return after the end of the match.

We stayed in a great room on the 8th floor with an astonishing view over the harbor. Had a robe and slippers on each bed and a kettle with a nice assortment of teas. So watching the never setting sun and sipping Earl Grey tea from a cup was the highlight of the evening.

Parking is no issue in spite the hotel hasn't a car park. On the back street there is a public parking (careful because it´s not open 24/24) or on the surrounding streets you can easily get a space.

We left the hotel at 5 AM so we didn´t have breakfast, however they prepared us some croissants and cappuccinos so we wont leave belly empty. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Read my other reviews on hotels and restaurants in Iceland.

Room tip: Ask for a room on the 8th floor facing Reykjavik harbor
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Hapoise
Reviewed 14 July 2016

This hotel is located next to all the great nightlife of Reykjavik. We were on the 6th floor and enjoyed the balcony which over looks the plaza where futbol is played on the big screen. The hotel kept are bags for us until check in since we arrived at 5 AM. There was an extra bed in the room as promised with enough towels for the 3 of us. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was filling. We enjoyed our stay.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 14 July 2016

Very central location. The downside is that there is a lot of noice around the hotel. Even the sound from the aircraft to the domestic airport.
OK breakfast.
Friendly staff.
Simple and run-down hotel. Dirty in some places. Poorly cleaned.
No safety box in the room.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2016

My Mother and I had booked a tour to Iceland for 10 days and we had ordered an early check in at a cost of $278. When we arrived, they did not have a room for us until mid afternoon even though we paid for a entire day and it should have been ready for us the day before. When they finally gave us a room, it was a nice room BUT it had one double bed instead of the 2 twin beds that we had specified. I called the desk and they said there was not another room ready but they would call when one was available. We were more than exhausted and we HAD to be able to sleep. Sometime much later they called and said they had a room for us. That room did have 2 twin beds however, my bed had a broken leg and the bed kept banging every time I tried to move. I went down to the desk and told them that there was a problem with our room, They were very rude and asked what the problem was. When I told them the bed was broken, their response was " Oh is that a problem?" I told them that yes, it was a problem and that we were going to get something to eat and when we got back, I expected to have a different room. It was much later in the evening when a very nice young man showed us 2 rooms side by side and said we could have either one. While neither was great, we were too tired to care and chose one. The next morning we went down for breakfast, which was excellent and then headed up to the lobby to meet the tour group for our first outing. When we got there, the group had apparently left and there was no one at the desk to ask so we missed out on the tour through the city. Our tour manager said he tried calling us but there was no answer so they all left. We explained about the room changes we had encountered and he said he would discuss the matter with the hotel manager. He later informed us that "someone" had made an error but that when we returned the following week, we would be given an upgraded room. We headed up north for 3 days and when we returned, we were excited about our "upgraded:" room. We were given a key at the desk but when we went to the room, the key did not work so back down stairs we went and were told that "someone" made a mistake and they gave us another room key. When we opened the door, it smelled like an outhouse, the open window was at ground level and the garbage was right next to the window. To make matters worse, it was Saturday night and we had been warned that Saturday nights in Reykjavik were loud, rowdy, all night affairs and I certainly did not want to be sleeping in a room the the back alley where anyone could come in through our window. I called down to the desk and told them that the room was absolutely not acceptable and that I wanted another room. The rude woman said they were 100% full and that there was not another room in the hotel. So much for our upgrade!! I then called our tour manager and complained to which he said that he would contact the manager and see what could be done. This was absolutely ridiculous to have had so many problems with the room, especially since we had already been promised that they would make up for all the problems we encountered the week before. They miraculously found another room in their 100% filled hotel and said it was not their fault but that "someone" had made a mistake and given our room away. I think that "someone" should be looking for another job! That evening, our tour manager called and said that he had spoken to the manager and that were willing to give us a room on the 8th floor - the NEXT day but nothing could/would be done that night. The next day would be our last and there did not seem to be much point in re-packing yet again to move for our last night. We were told that the hotel had never made the offer to anyone before and that we would have a private balcony. Eventually we agreed to the move but after all the frustration and stress, we did not sleep well and the deep sea fishing trip we had booked for the next day, did not happen. I have travelled around the world and have stayed in hotels that ranged from 2 star to 5+ stars and have never encountered such rude staff, disorganization and total indifference to guests as I did in the Centerhotel Plaza. I would strongly suggest that you take your business somewhere, anywhere else, They do not deserve your hard earned money>

Room tip: You do not want to be facing the front street, No air conditioning.
Date of stay: May 2016