“Small but popular”

Himalaya
Ranked #257 of 1,597 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Nepalese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Himalaya, located in Kaartinkaupunki - Helsinki, is the oldest Nepalese restaurant in Finland with over 20 years of history. Here at Himalaya we believe that the restaurant experience comes from excellent ingredients which are cooked with skill together with friendly and smooth service. This combination has kept us a favourite choice for our customers for over 20 years. A satisfied customer is everything for us. Our wide menu has something for everyone - mild and hot, vegan or lamb. With us you can enjoy great tastes from the Himalayan mountain region in a comfortable environment and warm service. Our 55 seats offer culinary experiences to everyone. So join us for lunch, dinner or ask for home delivery or larger quantities!
Reviewed 20 December 2016

Its a mix where Nepali and Indian cuisine meet. Cramped but seems very popular some regulars and tourists.

Reviewed 16 November 2016

The restaurant is well located and clean. We came about 15 minutes before the 11-15 lunch menus to be closed. Never the less we got good food with a fast service. Generally I did not notice big difference in the food compared to the Herttoniemi’s Nepalese restaurant. I ate chicken with mild taste and collogue had some hot with two chili marks.

Reviewed 26 October 2016

Booked a table over the phone a week in advance. The lady on the phone didn't speak very good Finnish and I had to repeat everything I said. As we arrived, the waiter wasn't aware of the reservation so I suppose she still hadn't understand me. Luckily it was quiet and people were just about to leave from the only long table there was that would fit us all, so we waited for a few minutes.
Only 3 of us had starters, I had a chicken and noodle soup and the 2 others Himalaya special soup. These weren't great. My soup tasted a mixture of Finnish brown sauce and pot noodles, the 'special soup was rather watery but ok in taste.
Main courses were very nice and tasty, however, those little 'chillies' that are supposed to tell the hotness of the dishes weren't really accurate. One that was supposed to be super hot, wasn't, and the one supposed to be mild, was really spicy. Luckily everyone still enjoyed the taste. I have had better, but this was decent, value for money. Hubby wants to go again, I want to look for better :) Service was ok, however, as we were a big group, the waiter did get confused with a few..

1  Thank HannaSofiaV
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

In my opinion the absolute best Nepalese in Helsinki. This place has very big portion sizes and the food is always delicious. Especially the big naan breads and tandoori meats. Everything I've tried has been superb, but for years I have adored the Kukhura Saslik and always keep going back for it.

They have delicious mango lassi, worth a try with your spice hot meal!

Vegetarians will love this place too.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

A lovely restaurant with friendly staff, spacious with good decor. I ordered one of the Thaalees and was pleasantly surprised. A selection of dishes with rice and naan. Good value for money and the food tasted amazing.

I will be definitely coming back to this place when I return to Helsinki.