“Why haven´t you told me before”
Review of Ravintola Aito

Ravintola Aito
Ranked #19 of 1,773 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Kampinmalmi
Reviewed 26 April 2017

Had to take the dearly beloved one to Helsinki City on business, when she surprised me with a request and offer of lunch ON HER!
As often happens there was some guidance into the selection of the restaurant: Somebody´s friend had been to Aito and gave a rather positive comment.
When we arrived the place lloked a bit off, like a Kaurismäki movie set. Reminded me of the old milk bars in the country when I was a kid. I am also not a big fan of the chalk menus on the wall. (Poor eyesight combined with a stiff neck)
As I had done my research in advance we ordered a glass of cava which ended up being an excellent choise.
She had grilled asparagus which was a bit more than one served cold, marinated, with crisp bread and a black egg -marinated, too. Had a very impressive taste.
I had a plate of parsley root soup, which was very smooth and very, very tasty.
She does not eat meat so had to settle for a fried fish, looked and according to her tasted food. My "pulled ox tail" was very good, too. Both items were colourful and well prepared. Tasted of what they consisted of, not overly processed.
And then!
Orange Creme Brulée. Oh boy. That was good!
I might "have" to have another business trip to Helsinki myself just to sneak in for this jewel.

1  Thank jari L

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Food is really delicious: menu set was based on local seasonal products and it was fantastic! The restaurant is definitely suitable for couples and small groups. Also there was great and friendly staff that was ready to give all information on wine and food. Must visit!

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Recommended by a colleague in our Helsinki office, my girlfriend & I thoroughly enjoyed this up-market but local feel family restaurant.

We had cost concerns eating in a Nordic capital city but the 3 course daily set menu was excellent value and the food delicious - lamb tartare, grilled white fish then raspberry & chocolate dessert. Staff were friendly, helpful and attentive.

Wine list could do with a little work (don't understand the Nordic obsession with Reisling, awful stuff).

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

This place was short of nothing. We went there on Saturday evening with my wife. I had managed to screw up with reservation but they still managed to get a table for us.

I took a menu with 4 (surprise) courses. Wines were really suited for the food. All tasted brilliant, but the dessert rocked the evening. Liquirice and yoghurt - I was checking this out in the menu and hoped I wouldn't get this. But got it, and it turned out to be the best dessert I have eaten in any restaurant.

All along the service was absolutely brilliant and the athmosphere relaxed.

Reviewed 26 February 2017

For our anniversary we usually like to find a great restaurant. We were so lucky with this find
It makes our top 10 list. (We live in the greater New York area and have experienced a lot of top end restaurants and also travel quite a bit and consider ourselves foodies ;).)
We tried their signature Menu Aito with matched wines. It was absolutely fabulous. The food scrumptious and delicate, the wines a perfect match. Our waitress was attentive and knowledgeable, the atmosphere was great too and not too loud, so that we could carry a conversation. What a treat. We ended up asking for the list of wines we tasted and they prepared that for us. Too bad we live so far away. I would make this my go to celebration place.