Review Highlights
Love love love!

I have traveled to 76 countries and 7 continents, and this ranks among my all time favorite travel... read more

Reviewed 27 February 2022
go12345
Miami, Florida
Amazing experience: reindeer, icefishing and snowshoes.

We loved it all! Everything you read in the other reviews is so true. It was an amazing experience... read more

Reviewed 26 February 2022
kirstenhW4791XE
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Kittila
from US$177.15
More Info
All reviews ice fishing reindeer sleigh ride super fun great guide reindeer farm petra snowshoeing outfitters winter activities
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

We spent 4 hours with Petra and her team. After a bit of a walk through the forest we got to a little cabin beside a frozen lake.

We spent our time ice fishing in the lake.

we caught a couple of fish which they gutted and grilled for us over the open fire.

We ate some salmon soup and our grilled fish for lunch.

Simple but wonderful!

Date of experience: December 2016
1  Thank Cory18
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

Don't even bother reading the review that was rated 'terrible'.. unless you want to have a laugh!
This tour was fantastic! Petra is a character and both her and Kael (her husband) are very accommodating!
We did the ice fishing by kick sled.
Kael went out to survey the lake to ensure we had the best spot for fish.. we were shown how to drill a hole into the ice and drop a line in.. sure enough we caught a nice 32cm Rainbow Trout after about 1/2 hour of patient waiting..
The fish was gutted and cooked to perfection over an open fire.. We were also served some nice salmon fish soup and hot berry juice.
For kick sled and fishing, we were told it was 65€ for 3 hours but time was not an issue.. we ended up there for the best part of a day all for the same price!
Kick sled is fun, but after seeing the reindeer sleds, I would prefer to do the trek by reindeer sled!
Overall a great day with great hosts and a dry sense of humor!
Highly Recommended!

Date of experience: December 2016
1  Thank benx88
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

Had a great time, nothing at all bad about our packed outdoor adventure. Would love to do it all again.

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank kevin l
Reviewed 30 March 2016 via mobile

Our second visit to Levi and we have taken a number of trips through the tourist information there and they have always been extremely enjoyable and lots of fun. Petra never even said hello or welcome before she enquired if I had a jacket. Had she bothered to ask and not just assumed I was going to whinge with the cold she would have learned that due to my viking ancestors I do not get cold in the snow and 2 degrees is almost balmy. She repeatedly insisted that I was cold. I was hungry, tired and thirsty but definitely not cold. There are no toilets there and my youngest son arrived desperate and he refuses to go behind a tree. She repeatedly insisted I should help him even though my husband, who was with us and has always done this for the boys, and my youngest son was utterly mortified. Then she started her incredibly slow spoken as.... you ....are.... obviously ... an ... idiot... patronising. ... introduction.... to... reindeer driving... that irritated both me and my eldest son. She assumed we knew nothing but never enquired as to our reindeer experience as this was our fourth reindeer trip plus we have fed them twice so we knew not to be noisy. I had not realised that the Forest Reindeer trip involves driving yourself and your child in the snow and she made us quite aware that we may end up in a bush at this point I decided I couldn't do this. She then went on to insult us by saying UK drivers are worse than the Finnish drivers there. She assumed that we were poor drivers and never bothered to ask where we are from or to find out that we are Scots adept at snow driving or that we are so attune to driving on the left we had a hire car at the tourist information in Levi and my husband is an excellent driver in Europe and the UK. I did not sign up for this trip to be patronised and insulted and as her husband does not speak English all comments and communications would have to be with her. Her husband would not even speak to us as he does not speak English at all and I got the impression that being from the UK we were just a nuisance to them and probably a bit of a joke too. The thought of spending 4 hours with patronising Petra and her incommunicative husband along with not wanting to drive my son into a bush and my youngest needing the bathroom we asked for a taxi and went back to Levi to our hotel there. Obviously this was an utter waste of both time and money as we never got the trip we had paid for. I am a former curator and a museum educator I know all about talking to people from 4 to 84 and getting them to engage and learn and patronising and insulting them is simply not the way forward. Highly disappointed with the manner we were dealt with and they also have no facilities which is ridiculous if you are running trips and having visitors. There are so many other reindeer trips coming out of Levi I strongly suggest you book them and do not use Petra and her incommunicative husband.

Date of experience: March 2016
5  Thank Sofabear
Reviewed 28 March 2016

My wife and I spend several hours with Petra and her reindeer. We also tried ice fishing and spent plenty of time in the warm Yurt. Great experience with a great guide.

Date of experience: February 2016