All reviewsnorthern lightscottagecloudysnowwinterlakeaurora
Reviewed 15 April 2018

My wife and I spent two nights at Holiday Village Inari in late March and found it adequate though nothing fancy. We arrived shortly after 10am by shuttle bus from Ivalo Airport, but the reception office was closed with no one inside. The bus driver kindly advised us to use the intercom at the front door to talk to the reception desk at Hotel Inari, an affiliated entity of Holiday Village Inari. A woman answered the call after a while, and promised to send someone to check us in. So we stood in the snow for about five minutes, and a young man came in a car to do the check in for us.

We were given sauna cabin No.9, sort of right in the middle of the resort village, a short walk with the office. It seemed like most of cabins were locked up for the winter, as evidenced by the pile of snow that has accumulated by the door. Our sauna cabin was rather small, with two single beds (one stowed under the other to save space), a wooden couch, a small table and three chairs. There was no luggage stand, so we had to put our two suitcases on the long coach. There was a small pantry with two electric stoves and a few plates and other essentials. The toilet-shower room was very basic with a small washing basin and a toilet. There was no separate shower area, just a shower faucet near the toilet. Half of the toilet-shower room, however, was taken up by the sauna room at the back.

Although the facilities and furnishing were rather rustic, things were clean and in proper working condition. Most importantly, the whole cabin was very warm, a key comfort factor for sub-zero life.

We had chosen this place for its proximity to the lake, which was completely frozen. Even though not that many cabins were occupied, the village was still too bright for photographing the aurora and we had to walk some 30 meters or so to the lake where it was much darker. We saw a weak display of aurora on our first night, and managed to take some decent photos. Unfortunately, the second night was very cloudy and there was nothing to see.

All in all, the cabin was adequate but basic for watching the aurora.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Small wooden house next to the lake with fully kitchen facility, heater is warm enough even there's -12 degree, a very good place to watch aurora, it's really amazing.

We went there by self-drive, very convenient.

Room Tip: If you are four person or more going there, book a bigger house in front of the lake
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Camper van site was nice power worked. Internet worked well reception friendly and helpful.

Only good thing about the bathrooms was the water was hot. Very shabby in need of a serious clean and upgrade!
Laundry room too.
Cottages were very basic and need some new linen.
Didn't sauna as it was also a bit shabby.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 105dewyw
Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

Location was amazing in front of the lake totally iced. Ideal place to catch aurora.. unfortunately we didn't cause the weather was cloudy.. cottage very comfortable sauna inside. We wonder in summer is a fairy tales place.. common kitchen totally equipped. Recommended.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Botteguccia
Reviewed 7 January 2016

In this little "touristic" town, expected everything to be relatively expensive, and this nice little cottage provides everything you need to prepare your own meal. I went there during the winter, and there was nothing much to do except paying to join safaris, waiting for northern lights and building snowman, so I had made a good decision in choosing a place which allowed me to cook and spend time. Read reviews that people had problems with check-in (no one there and had to wait for some time before someone came and open the door for check in) but I didn't have such problem at all - probably I had well informed them of my flight and transfer bus schedule? Of course, do not expect hotel services (I would say that there were no direct services apart from checking you in) and would be more like a hostel, but this is the idea of staying in a cottage :)

If you are chasing northern lights, this was really a great place as it is not located directly at the town center (10-min walk); better view of the lake, less people, less street lights, more cottages (less modern buildings) as background for your photos :)

The only thing I didn't like is the mattress. Bed was not really that comfortable, and had a feeling that the bunk bed was not that firm and stable. Also, the cottage was built on a slight slope and I could really feel it when sleeping on the upper bed. Felt kind of weird, but got used to it before my check out. Cottage was also kind of too small for 4 people (we were a group of 2 staying in a 4-person cottage - I guess all their cottages could accommodate at least 4 people?)

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends