“Rude Waitress”

Price range: US$15 - US$22
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2022

We made a reservation at the restaurant over a month prior to our visit and we were truly looking forward to it as a central part of our mini vacation in Kuopio. Not everything went as planned due to the waitress being rude. Her impoliteness made me burst out in tears.

The older and dark haired waitress was like a black hole, sucking in all the postive energy, leaving the atmosphere negative. Moreover, I’m a beer enthusiast and the waitress made me feel like an idiot for requesting good quality beer. On top of that, I felt like she was questioning my ability to finance the meal.

I didn’t deserve to be treated the way I was as I was only being sincere and excited to be there.

Date of visit: May 2022
Write a reviewReviews (285)

Reviewed 17 April 2022 via mobile

Good local Finnish food, very nice and attentive service. A true window into Kuopios past and a local recommendation. We enjoyed our food and stay.

Date of visit: April 2022
Reviewed 27 July 2021

Not funny to see full tables and service colllapsing. Really hope it was just one time broblem but waiting one hour for simple snack food (muikku) and what Peoples when the kitchen can not provide good on time. We walk Off after an hour and the only excuse was that they had in so many People it was 50% full so I had to ask why they have so many tables.

Fiid good value and Finland 5 stats service and waiting Timo zero 0

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank 857mikko
Reviewed 19 July 2021 via mobile

Interesting place with a long history. Decoration is of a period well passed. It honestly looking a bit worn and not in a good way.

Price wise it’s ok neither cheap or expensive.

Service is polite but the wait for the food to arrive was unacceptable around 50mins. This is too long even if it’s an iconic restaurant.

Muikku portion is satisfactory. I would say the mash potatoes are the highlight of the dish. The side salad is lacking.

Overall save your money and eat Muikku in the main square …

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank christianr776
Reviewed 23 June 2021

This restaurant is iconic. It was opened in the same house in 1931. The style of the restaurant is old-fashioned but food is delicious. They are a fish restaurant and they specialize in vendace (European cisco) food. Both vendace soup and shoemaker's stew were extremely delicious. Shoemaker's stew included mashed potatoes, vendace, bacon, onion, tomato, cucumber, lemon and dill. A table reservation could be a good idea here. The restaurant was almost full.

Date of visit: June 2021