All reviews someone's home take home evening buffet lenin books unusual bath spa
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We needed a place to stay on an unplanned stop, and found this hotel on the web. They had a room that our dogs too could stay in, in an annex cross the street. We got a warm welcome, and the room was like staying at someone's home - where you study the walls crowded with prints and photos, and shelves filled with books. Price a bit steep, but an evening buffet was included so we saved on dinner.
It's right next to a nice little park, and a short walk from the harbour and old fortress. We didn't have time to try their Lenin bath though!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2016

The hotel is full of books and old Soviet Union nostalgia. The "Lenin bath" in the basement is beautiful, relaxed and nice.
The general service level is good. The staff is very friendly and the owner is quite a character. It is like staying in the middle of a library decorated with pictures of Lenin and all sorts of propaganda posters from the old Soviet Union. The rooms and the rest of the hotel are in very good shape.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Nice rooms and wonderful staff. And probably the only Lenin Spa and hot bath in kombination with 15,000 books. Lots of portrait of Lenin. A rare experience to enjoy the luxury that Lenin enjoyed in S:t Peterburg in the 1910th.
The owner Lars Diding is probably the last Leninist in Sweden (unverified) and he made the Hotel Gastis in Varberg his project in life. His soul mate Jan Myrdal (more of a Pol Pot fan) donated Lars Diding his complete Lenin Library for future management.
I enjoyed the stay. Well worth a visit..!!
(Footnote: I'm not Leninist myself. I'm liberal.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

This hotel is a one off. It is full of books and quirky bits and pieces. It feels more like a cross between an oversized family home and a University residence than a hotel.

The rooms are all slightly different, and ours was reminiscent of a student room. The beds were comfortable (it's set up as twins but they leave a kit to join them if you prefer), there were two comfortable chairs which is unusual in a hotel and there was a fridge for your own drinks. They had complied with my request for no beams or sloping ceilings near the bed. On the down side there was no drawer space. There was no safe but I felt fairly comfortable leaving things in my room.

The lift only goes to the second floor and the stairs are quite steep so anybody with any mobility problems should request not to have a room on the third floor.

There is a large L shaped dining and living room where he meals are served. These are traditional Swedish food. In the morning there is loads of choice from cereal to baked omelette and you could make your own waffles, toast and porridge. There is a small gluten free selection. In the evening there is a salad buffet and one or two main meals and one desert plus cheese. There is not an a la carte menu. As part of the DIY feel you may be picking up you serve yourself and clear up after yourself. My husband has special dietary requirements which we had informed them about in advance and, apart from one evening when the message didn't seem to have got through, they made sure one of the main dishes was suitable for him and when they had forgotten they managed to find something for him in the kitchen.

There isn't a dedicated bar but there is a hatch at the back of the reception where you can buy bar drinks to drink in the living/dining room. There is a separate smoking room and a roof terrace but you are not allowed to take alcoholic drinks to either of those areas. There is coffee and hot water always available without charge in reception though as a Brit I still missed having a kettle in my room.

The staff were friendly and helpful and there was a good atmosphere.

The thing that would put me off coming back here was the noise - not from the hotel guests who were a very well behaved mix of mature couples and families- but from the environs. There are church bells and level crossing signals at frequent intervals but the main issue was the open air concerts in the park. I know that they are a traditional part of the summer scene and I was quite prepared to put up with it on Saturday night but there seemed to be one nearly every night and they went on until late. This will only be an issue in the summer and if you have the windows shut it helps but then, even in this lacklustre summer, it gets very warm.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

Good location and a cozy hotel. Provides dinner for hotel guests. Building itself is a bit cold, and it takes a while to get warm wather in the shower in the mornings. Both breakfast and dinner are excellent. The hotel provides some free parking spaces for the guests in a parking lot across the street, but they were always occupied during my visit. Tv has a few basic channels. In my room tv remote was not working, so I was relocated to a new room witha working tv instead of fixing the remote. Why not. A bit strange was to find my room door unlocked and not even properly closed when comming back to hotel one evening. When I told about this at the reception, I did not seem to raise any big interest to investigate what happened. This leaves not a safe feeling. I would never leave my valuables in the room while at this hotel. Otherwise, ok place, as long as you dont leave anything which may get stolen in the room.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
MikeyCarlzon, Kundansvarig at Hotell Gastis, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking your time to review your stay at our hotel.

First of all we are glad that you found our hotel cozy and we hope that you would like to stay with us again once in Varberg.

Like you write in your review, we have almost 20 parking places that belongs to the hotel across the street. Some are available to reserve in advance, while other are free of charge based on availability upon arrival. If all parking places are occupied you will always find a public parking lot within a few minutes walk.

I am sorry that your remote control didn't work in your first room. The reason you had to change rooms was probably that you arrived after our technicians left for the day and was not able to solve your problem. We are also very sorry that you experienced a problem with your room not locked by the housekeepers after cleaning it. That is of course unacceptable and I will talk to our staff about it so it won't happen again.

Once again, I hope that you would consider staying with us again so we get the chance to prove that we can do better!

Kind regards,