This was my 16th stay in a Leading Hotel in 2011 – and it was the most disappointing one.
I booked two rooms for two nights from Dec. 26 – 28, 2011 via Leading Hotels. I booked a standard and a superior room as the GH-homepage says that all superior rooms „contain a comfortable seating area“ and we looked for a bigger room whre the family could meet for tea time. Rates were SEK 1.690 (190 Euro) for the standard and SEK 2.190 (245 Euro) for the suoerior room, breakfast inculded.
At arrival no doorman was available, an emloyee of the security team called a porter after we requested help with our luggage (the second and third day doormen were available, during bank holidays obviously not). As a Leaders Club member we got an upgrade from no view rooms to harbour view rooms. The habour view superior room (no. 229) was surprisingly small, the „comfortable seating area“ were two armchairs, placed about 1,5 meters away from the bed! The room was newly refurbished, the quality oft he bed was above average and very good (in both rooms).
In total the rooms were not breathtaking, but acceptable for the luxury segment. Annoying was the service. Enough staff was available throughout our stay but they were not very well trained and a „culture to service“ was missing. For example:
- In the bar were no seats available. We asked for a dining option after our 7 hours journey. The waiter answered, not his problem, wait until guests leave the bar. I asked, if we could use one of the free tables at the restaurant and order a la carte. Answer: only if you order the christmas buffet, no other dishes like club sandwich or soups will be served in the restaurant. He finally offered my 70 years old disabled mother a barchair!
- Coats weren’t stored, a cloakroom was missing. All guests leave their jackets in the room by the seats – very nice atmosphere. Finally we got a table at the entrance. With our ordered soups we also got bread and butter. Bread knives were forgotten, we asked three times. After we finished our lunch, the service remembered: oh, now it’s probably too late.
- During breakfast: No smile, guests even take tea and coffee from the service stations on their own. The setting oft he tables does not include cutlery (never seen before; only napkin and a cup were on the place). I asked for cutlery when my ordered egg benedict was served and got the answer: please go to the buffet where cutlery ist available.
- Turn down normally puts a bedcover and decoration pillows away. Not at Grand Hotel, there the bedcover just was folded back on the bed and about six pillows placed on it - I never had this before. As a guest of Grand Hotel, you can start putting the heavy bedcover and the pillows away after turn down was present. Since the second night I knew the reason: The housekeeping maid has no storage for the bedcover in the small room, the wardrobe has not enough space. So she took the bedcover out oft he room as I asked to put it away from the bed.
- Shoe shine at Grand Hotel means moving the shoes slightly in front of the room, without cleaning them.
Why the only restaurant besides the bar serves buffets the whole day (morning buffet, lunch christmas buffet and on the evening „smörgasbord“ (=buffet)) is a secret of the f&b -anager. The Dahlgren restauarnt was closed all three days, the guest only had the chance to join buffets or to use the roomservice (besides the few snacks in the bar). For the hotel probably a perfect combination of revenue (the buffets are not cheap) and no service as there is a self service.
I guess, we had a „Grand Experience“ at Grand Hotel Stockholm – unfortunately the wrong way!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From its 1874 opening, Grand Hotel Stockholm has been one of Sweden' s leading hotels. Royalty, heads of state, celebrities and Nobel laureates make themselves at home in refined waterfront surroundings near the Royal Palace. Old Town, Stockholm City Hall, Vasa Museum, Millesgarden and the Museum of National Antiquities are nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stockholm Grand Hotel
- Intercontinental Stockholm