Open today: 08:00 - 20:00
Review Highlights
Highlight of our trip

Booked this trip as part of a weekend away for family birthday celebration as we were staying in... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
sarahsD4720PF
Looking up at the cliffs

I highly recommend this tour. I've seen the cliffs several times from above, but this is a great... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
salennon508
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Carrick
from US$47.96
More Info
from US$507.58
More Info
All reviews great trip sliabh liag local knowledge great captain two hours great value for money great stories his son bucket list life jackets highlight of our trip stunning views sunny day paddy skipper teelin cliffs
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 September 2021

My partner and I were excited to participate in this activity on Monday 13th September 2021, however to say we were extremely disappointed with it is a major understatement. Whilst waiting on the pier for 15/20 minutes prior to the boat departing a crying toddler was clearly uncomfortable with the idea of putting on a lifejacket/getting on a boat/being there. Paddy, the main person in charge, said that my partner and I would be getting on the boat with the families (including the crying child), I requested that, if at all possible, we could get on the other boat… staring at his phone, he coldly replied “yeah, no problem…. You go and pick another couple to get on that boat then”, slightly shocked I said no thanks. Nonetheless, we ended up boarding the other boat (that he himself was manning).

Whilst walking down the steps to board, Paddy once again made a scene in front of the entire group saying that I didn’t want to get on the boat because of the child… at this stage it was already uncomfortable but I was unsure whether this was some form of jesting or an attempt at humour – I soon found out it was not.

We had been out in the water for roughly 20/25 minutes when once again, on a boat of 12 strangers this individual decided to announce that I had requested not to be on a boat with a crying child, he then proceeded to explain how some children don’t have, and will never have the opportunity to cry and accosted me (whilst on a boat in the middle of the water…) about my request – please just imagine being in this scenario. I kept my cool and tried to converse along without getting involved in a debate about how utterly unprofessional he was being. I don’t know if the other passengers fully understood what was going on. In hindsight, I wish I did confront him back on the boat about his behaviour however it definitely would have put a dampener on the other customer’s experience.

Regarding the actual boat tour itself it was pretty despicable, and not at all what was promised. Two local people came aboard with us with a surf board and overall, I think 1 hour – 1 hour 10 minutes was spent watching them try to surf off the back of the boat with a rope – Paddy himself said this was an “unorthodox” boat tour… So basically, not what we were paying for then? I think we must have got about 2 and a half minutes of actual information about the cliffs. We could see the other boat in the distance continuing their tour as I gather it’s supposed to be done, whilst the priority on our boat was keeping the 2 local surfers happy.

When we were eventually setting sail for land again, following the most uncomfortable tourism experience of my life, I decided that I would have to speak with him about how he behaved. I made sure that we were the last people to get off the boat – again, not embarrassing him in front of his customers like he had done to me in the middle of the water. I said to him that if he had an issue with me, if he was so offended or annoyed by my request not to go on the other boat with the distressed child, then he should not have let us board and we would have left. He said “you know something, I was annoyed about that” and then started talking about how someone once didn’t want to get on a boat with a person with special needs… Ehhh, not remotely the same thing and also totally irrelevant - our issue was that he made sure to take us out in the water and then proceeded to accost and belittle us – did he not think how utterly uncomfortable this would have made anyone feel? Paddy said that it would not have been fair to refuse to take us out after my request – so it was fair to take us out and then verbally attack us when we had literally nowhere to go? And we are paying for this treatment? Furthermore, as we said to him, it is totally inappropriate to start a rant about dead children when providing a service to paying customers - you never know what someone’s history is in terms of child birth or raising children. When my partner said that he ruined the tour for us, he did apologise (sarcastically or not, I couldn’t tell) for ruining it - I’m taking this as some sort of agreement from him that he had. Following on from this comes the €50.00 payment that he then debited from my account later that evening. I am entirely shocked that he actually took payment for this - I don’t even care about the money but was just astounded at the gumption, that seriously takes some nerve.

Regardless of whether or not I was right to request to be on one boat and not the other, the issue here is this man’s sheer lack of professionalism. If he was so affronted at my request then he could have and should have told us to leave – trust me, I wish he had. I genuinely can’t get my head around the treatment we received here, it’s much less about the poor boat tour itself and more about the premeditated verbal bombardment.

If people reading this review take anything from it, please just be extremely weary of this person, what he did to my partner and I shows nothing but malice and some questionable and concerning intent to make paying customers feel uncomfortable. Having perused other negative reviews of this enterprise I see I am not the first person to bring up this individual’s approach to ‘customer service’.

On a final note, I’d like to say that negative Trip Advisor reviews are not something I take any pleasure in, I’ve never left a review, positive or negative and have only just today created a Tripadvisor account to give my review of this business and provide an open, accurate and honest account of events. Genuinely, I am still shocked by the whole experience.

2  Thank Ror1988
murdocb, Owner/Skipper at Sliabh Liag Boat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2021

To say that I am shocked by your review is an understatement I am sorry you felt you had to write it
I remember the trip very well and will try respond to respond to your points
Because of covid we always try divide up groups according to their size to maximise space on the boats
You and partner were picked to join the families on the other boat giving you more room to yourselves as there was only 2 social bubbles on it, where there was five couples on the one I was driving it is a bit bigger so social distanceing is easier.
I refered to you asking to be changed when we were going down to the boats to explain to the other driver that you won't be travelling with him
I remember you saying you didn't want to listen to the child crying because you had a hangover so maybe it was a bad idea to come on the boat in the first place.
The surfers was a once in a while trip and I was very careful to make sure that the tour was ran as normal as possible we were out a lot longer then usual and I gave the full tour and the surfing time was added onto the trip.
I asked different passengers if they minded and everyone I asked were having a great time.
At first I was a bit taken back when you asked to go on a different boat because of a crying child I thought it was a bit selfish of you and asked who you wanted to go in your place to give you an idea of the decision I had to make.
As for ranting about dead children I did not mention it at all that is totally wrong.

I am really sorry you felt you had to write this review and sorry that you didn't enjoy the trip
Paddy

Reviewed 16 September 2021 via mobile

Great day out with paddy..a must if in the area..and a gentleman. The trip is full of local knowledge...scenery that is just stunning

1  Thank baywatch80
Reviewed 5 September 2021

Unreal trip and a true living legend in Paddy Byrne the skipper of the boat too. We had originally planned to go on this trip earlier in the summer when weather was poor. The seas were rough and Paddy gave everyone the choice to go out of the bay at least and we all were chomping at the bit. Even though we were out more than an hour and had availed of Paddys knowledge and fantastic story telling, he insisted in not taking a penny off anyone as we hadn’t had the full experience.
We took our son who is wheelchair bound back the second time which was this weekend and WOW what a trip. The views, the stories, the people and the relaxed vibe had us all talking to each other and finding out each other’s stories also. This is a must for anyone coming anywhere near the area and I would even say to make it your business to come just for the boat trip. We are still buzzing and our wee man was made feel on top of the world by everyone on the boat especially Paddy the captain and the crew.

Reviewed 30 August 2021 via mobile

Lovely trip and enjoyed it very much. Lovely scenery. The boatman was pleasant and the boat was in good condition. Didnt bring swim things but if your hardy bring them and you can go for a swim.

Date of experience: August 2021
Reviewed 29 August 2021

An excellent experience at the majestic Sliabh Liag cliffs. A small group on the boat (twelve passengers on each of two boats) and good attention to social distancing, sanitising and other Covid precautions. The trip is outdoors on an open deck, so masks were not required. Lifejackets were available to adults and mandatory for children. The trip itself travels quite a distance up the coast to the point at which the cliffs are the highest (600 metres). The weather for our trip was fantastic, with sunshine, blue skies and very little swell. There was an opportunity to go swimming in the Atlantic for those interested. A highly recommended trip.

Date of experience: August 2021