“Plesantly surprised in Vesterbro”
Review of Annex Copenhagen

Annex Copenhagen
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed here for one night as a break in my train journey from Stockholm to Hamburg - solo girl in early 20s- in September 2011. Was apprehensive from some of the prior reviews of Absalon and also the Vesterbro district in general. I really didnt want to spend a lot of money on a quick overnight stop, so I wanted budget, and that takes you to this part of town. However I was plesantly surprised.
Location - really close to central station (and easy to find), to Tivoli, city hall, walking distance to national museum, Glypotek gallery and the tourist centre (check it out, free maps, brochures, get the Copenhagen Card)
Area - seriously, I come from Cape Town and felt much safer in Vesterbro than I do at home in the city. When it started getting dark there were some homeless junkie type people wondering around, but nothing sinister or threatening. Absalon is still pretty close to the main street, if you wonder further into the Vesterbro there are more tattoo shops and dingy bars, but where the hotel is its pretty chilled. Its actually quite a pretty street with nice building facades and lots of restaurants close by. I only felt a bit weird because I was a young girl walking around alone in the evening. However the next week when my friend and I were back in Copenhagen and went to a bar near the hotel, we were disappointed not to have seen more "red light activity" in the area. Felt very safe the 2 of us, saw like two prostitutes, no dealers, so not as bad as some people make it out to be..
Absalon Annex - one of the bonuses is that the ANNEX shares reception with the Hotel, so its got the service provided to the more upmarket hotel, there is ice cold water available, free internet at the lobby computer.
This also means that you get the same breakfast as the hotel guests - huge bonus!
This breakfast was a feast! all different types of tea, coffee, juice, then there was cereal and yogurt, bread, ham, salami, cheeses, philidelphia cheese, nutella, rolls and all sorts of different pastries as well. Definitely a good start to the day- would go back for the breakfast variety and standard, the dining room was also really nice and quite big to accommodate everyone.
The Annex rooms are in a section to the one side of the hotel, but still entered from hotel reception so you feel safe.
My room was TINY, but Copenhagen is expensive and space is money! however, it was clean and sufficient for my overnight stay. i could have stayed there about 3 nights and the size would have been manageable. there was a desk and cupboard, the bed was quite narrow, but it was still comfortable and I got a decent night's sleep. The decor is definitely outdated, there is nothing modern about the rooms, but if you are on a budget and want to explore this expensive city, its a decent clean safe place to stay. My section was fairly quiet, but the doors opening and closing are quite loud, so if it the rroms there were full it may have been noisier??
The bathroom, although old, was really big. Its a shared, but never had to wait long (but then like I said, my section wasnt full). the shower was clean and big. no complaints - and I was super apprehensive about shared bathrooms after the horror stories I had read about how they can be.
So all in all, I was very happy there. Would I go again? If I was on a budget short stop I definitely would. For what you are paying you are bonusing from the fact that it is affiliated to the hotel and the breakfast is of that standard. Maybe an upgrade to the hotel part, depending on my budget.
If you are looking for a hostel/backpacker vibe, this is def more of a hotel with a budget area with shared bathrooms ,than a hostel. there is no communal chill area to meet other travellers if you travelling solo and want that.. so keep that in mind.
Oh also, dont be alarmed, but when you check in they take your credit card and swipe it as a deposit, but with my credit card I still got a text to say a charge had been made. Then when I checked out they swiped the card again to make the charge. I was only charged on my card once, even though they swiped twice. I was worried they had made me pay twice, but they hadnt. THe second swipe was just to confirm the "pending" deposit swipe

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank TessaClare
There are newer reviews for Annex Copenhagen

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Basically what you are getting at this hotel is a hostel, breakfast, & wi-fi. I agree with other reviewers that the annex is pretty much a hostel. Absalon Annex is connected to the Absalon Hotel. You use the hotel's reception desk to check in. Once you cross through the door to the Annex things take a notch down or so as far as quality is concerned. It is isn't that bad but not great. We spent four nights there. Each floor in the Annex that we saw had 4 toilets and two showers for I think slightly over 20 rooms per floor. We never had trouble using a toilet but did have to go up to the next floor because the showers were occupied on our floow . The showers did work just fine. Water pressure and hot water were fine. The bad part is that on the second floor we could tell that the showes had not been cleaned in the 4 nights we were there because there was a somewhat large chunk of hair on top of the drain in one showers that was there the whole time we were there. The rooms are somewhat small but adequate. We felt like we were on an overnight train though as the twin beds were attached to both sides of the wall. You do have a sink in your room which helps when you have shared showers. The furniture is quite possibly 40 years old. The rooms have a small TV but no fridge. Our had a good size closet and a desk...... Breakfast was standard but good. It is served from 6:30 to 10:00. The bad part is that at 9 am when we ate everyone else was eating too and it was hard to find a place to sit. Also, the staff had trouble clearing tables and replenishing some food items. They did restock food right up until 10 am though..... Other notes about the hotel is that you could usually smell smoke. Either people were smoking in their rooms despite the sign that said it was a smoke free floor or that for years they allowed smoking and the smell is trapped in to the fixtures of the hotel. We didn't smell it in our room but once you went in the hallway you could smell it..... The hotel itself is in a good location for sightseeing being only a few blocks from the train station. However, it is in a somewhat seedy part of town. There are sex shops, a men's mission home a few blocks down, and what appeared to be some prostitutes milling around within a block or so. We even saw a man urinating in the street right by the entrance to our hotel one night and saw a few drunk people stumbling around.....The hotel staff were pretty friendly and were able to answer our questions regarding train options and allowed us to check out two hour late. Wi-fi also worked pretty well in our room although it was sluggish at times but it was free.......One other last note is that they do have an on-site laundry machine if you happen to be in need of one. It cost 30 Krone per wash and 20 per dry. Ask the hotel staff. It is in the basement. The price is comparable to what you would pay at the self serve laundry mat down the street.

In summary you could do worse and if you are used to staying in hostels of varying degrees of quality then you'll be ok but I would probably explore other options first. The price they are charging is a little bit high. We paid about $100 a night It should be more around $60 per night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tngl4ut
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Arrived in Copenaghen on october, 17th, left on october, 20th. Arrived to the hotel, at the entrance we found boys and girls in the hall making noise, one in particular was wearing her pyjama and laying on the ground using her PC... OK, we went to our rooms, the corridor smelled horribly, and the room was not better. The room had orrible and old decor, the bathroom's towels smelled not exactly clean. Internet connection was a disaster, I was never able to work with my devices. Breackfast was of average quality. Absolutely not advised!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank venm
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We were looking for something clean, affordable, and centrally located and that is what we got! There is nothing fancy about this place but the rooms are clean, large and light and offered everything we needed. We had shared toilets/showers but were glad to have a sink in the room. Great location a block or two from the train station. They also offered relatively affordable bike rentals (about $20/day) which we happily took advantage of.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

On Istegade near the similar price Nebo.
Had rooms with shared facilities on two separate occasions. Rooms are basic with twin beds and handbasin. One room had a fridge other did not not. Rooms on second floor better than rooms up steps by reception because the shared facilities are much better. Rooms up steps share one old fashioned shower and WC. Rooms on second floor have many separate shower cubicles and WCs. No coffee making facilty in rooms.
Buffet breakfast was surprisingly good. Plenty of room on two separate levels. Lower level attracts less people but all same foods are available without climbing stairs. All the usual cold foods available and tea, coffee, fruit juice and Danish pastries.
Area is a bit of a red light district but it is near the rail station. You cannot get a much cheaper hotel room in Copenhagen. Only hostel dormitories cost less.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor near the shared facilities
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends