“One of the best!”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We’ve been coming to Rethymno several times per year, summer, winter, spring or fall... Over time we’ve found our gems..
Vassilis restaurant is one of them..,
The restaurant is close to the Fortezza and defining it as cozy is not an understatement. Staff and Vassilis himself makes a wonderful ambience.
The food here is homemade!! It’s a mix of Greek and Cretan specialities, and it’s so well made. It’s like having you’re mother or yiaya in the kitchen cooking superfood for you!! Work your way down the menu.. let the staff help you explore the Cretan/Greek kitchen...
This is a place not to be missed in Rethymno!!

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Dr_Nico

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We had the best dinner at Vassilis, was recommended to us by locals for a romantic dinner. We went in late march so we were able to get a table easily but would say you'd need a booking in summer. We had yummy Cretan food and great service, and then the Raki shots with the owner and his wife! Classic Greek experience xx

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank ZarahH17
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

I was here 2times and I love it. The best food in Crete. Only fresh food and with good quality. Thank you, Vassilis for that:)

Vadim.

1  Thank 104vadimb
Reviewed 16 October 2017

It would be an injustice to NOT leave this place great review. First of all, we stumbled upon this place as we walked back from the fortezza. Not looking for anything special, but soon realized we lucked out and found just the opposite - this place is definitely special.

It's not a big restaurant and with all the places around the area, you can easily miss it. Tucked away next to the old museum building, you can easily walk right passed it thinking it's someone's living room, if not for the outdoor seating in the alley way. I would recommend getting a seat inside to get all the old memorabilia from an establishment that has a lot of history. While this place used to be restaurant near the marina (decades), this location is just 3 years old. However, you wouldn't think so, based on the welcoming decor of old pictures and novelty items from the past. Ask for a brief history of the place and you'll soon realize that this is not just your regular tourist trap place with pictures of food on the menu.

The menu and food selection is not that extensive, but you will realized that whatever they do have, they do it well. My wife and I make it a habit of ordering the most interesting items on the menu, and always try something new. Let's just say that we avoid anything we are familiar with, so this way, you get to try any and all exotic flavors. Again, this is not a place that has pictures of the dish. (Do yourselves a favor and please avoid those places at all cost). In any case, our meal here was probably the best we've had during our visit to Greece. And we've been to several places in Athens/Santorini/Crete. This is a family business and they treat you like you're a guest in their home. The taste of a home-cooked meal amidst their cozy decor, paired with the right wine selection, is just... perfection.

Lastly, as we capped off our meal, I politely asked if they had some Mastikha liquer which we had been exposed to at another restaurant during our Greece trip. (It goes without saying that I'm somewhat obsessed, at this point) Our server, who was the son of the owner said that he will check. It was just a simple inquiry and I did not expect what was to come next... He literally left the restaurant to purchase a bottle and ran back to serve us a couple servings!!! Of course, as incognito as he could but my wife and I certainly noticed it. He also indicated that it's on the house! Now, I've noticed that restaurants will often add a little something at the end of meals, but to go out of their way to get something for us is just above and beyond. How could you not LOVE this place?!

If you are ever in the area, PLEASE, PLEASE visit this quaint little restaurant and you will not be disappointed.

3  Thank egargantiel
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

The friendliness and welcome we received made this an instantly relaxing meal.

All the food we had tasted great. The menu is fairly small which made making a choice fairly easy.

We started with courgette fritters. Then I had pork with vegetables in a light sauce. It was excellently prepared and I enjoyed every mouthful.

The evening rounded off with some amazing doughnuts and raki.

Great place.