All reviews large room old town pool sea wifi
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

A comfortable hotel but with its flaws, some quite large

On arrival, the exterior of the hotel appeared OK, if not slightly less pleasing on the eye than surrounding hotels. I think a nicer outdoor sign would make a vast improvement.

I immediately noticed the smell of cigarette smoke when walking into the small lobby. This was due to the sports bar/internet cafe connected to the hotel, in which people would smoke indoors. I would recommend that the management of the hotel ban smoking indoors, as it wasn't a very nice first impression.

The hotel itself looked well kept, renovated and modern enough. There is a fairly large breakfast room which was never full ay breakfast so there's no rush. The hotel also had a pool, but it was in a concrete courtyard and received almost no sun throughout the day. I never used it as the beach was about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.
WiFi was free but very slow at times, and often cut off every 15 minutes. This was especially bad on nights where the football was on downstairs, and everyone not staying at the hotel was using the WiFi. Very frustrating, but otherwise the speed was good. I think separating the WiFi for the hotel and the cafe could improve things.

The room was generally nice - spacious and modern. As typical, the walls were whitewashed and the light was pretty dim and harsh. The air conditioning was strong and never failed though, which was great. Each room has a balcony too, and the bathroom was nice. The bathroom door, however, was too small so a wooden plank had been added to the bottom, which looked slightly cheap. The room also had a small kitchen area with a sink and crockery and cutlery. Supplying dishwashing liquid would've been even better. There was also a really nice landing and upper floor, which I thought was unique and a nice touch. Ideal if you are a family of 4 but can only afford 1 room. It did get extremely hot up there though, even with the fan provided. Additionally, we asked for a room with a double bed, and instead we were given 2 single beds, pushed together. Upstairs in the annex, however, a proper double bed was there. I found this a bit strange, and would've liked them to be swapped around. The view was nice from the room too - you can see the sea, even with obstructing buildings.

My sleep was generally good. The rooms were pretty good at insulating sound. However, beware when there's football downstairs. The screaming was very loud and kept me awake until around 1am some nights.
The pillows were very comfortable. The mattress was a bit hard and had a dip in the middle which was slightly uncomfortable but bearable.

Another frustrating aspect was the water. On 3 occasions out of my 10 nights here, the water stopped working completely. The first time was resolved almost immediately. The second took a little longer, and the third was on the morning of my departure, which forced us to buy bottled water to brush our teeth and flush the toilet. The staff explained that this was because the area couldn't meet the demand of the tourists, but the fountains in the opposite hotel seemed to be working just fine...

The hotel and rooms were always kept well cleaned. However, the cleaners often give us the bedsheets to put on ourselves, which I would've thought would've been done for us considering this is a 4 star hotel. The cleaners also didn't replace soap, and when we arrived, our room had no toilet paper, which was a very had introduction to our room. They also didn't clean our rooms or replace towels/sheets or make the bed on Sunday. A warning of this at least would've been appreciated.

The staff were always friendly and polite, giving us help whenever we asked and we especially appreciated that they always gave us the cheapest options as well as the most convenient. It was very honest of them.

Breakfast was plentiful. There was a selection of hot and cold dishes and pastries, jelly, fruits, cereal, tea coffee and hot chocolate. The eggs were quite oily though, and I stopped having them by the 4th day because it would make me feel sick. Other than that, I have no faults here.

It's location was pretty central, 15 minutes walk from the buzzing old town, 20 from the bus station and 10 from the beach. This was one of the best points of the hotel.

Overall, a nice hotel which was comfortable for the most part, and in a great location, but a little more attention to detail in the cleaning, the external appearance, WiFi, and first impressions would go a long way. This would allow it to truly live up to its 4 stars.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2017

Good choice for business trips, large room, renovated and clean, but not the ideal choice for holidays especially our back room of the first floor, as it was facing two buildings, no view and not the kind you would like to spend some time in it, except for sleeping. Regarding the high season ratings, it was the cheapest (70 euros) I could find down town
Rethymnon city. Excellent front desk stuff, welcoming and helpful!

Room Tip: sea view noisy, more quite in the back
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed for first week in April, three couples. The rooms were clean and a fair size, en suite, reasonably priced with nice views of the city as we were on the 3rd floor at the top. The centre was about a 20 min walk away, and the beach about 10 mins. It was a lively small hotel with a sports bar frequented by lots of students playing board games. Overall it was a good place to stay to discover the town, restaurants and lovely beaches.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Stayed for three days as a family with teenage children in a one bedroom apartment. Very clean, even spotless room. The staff is nice and helpful.
Free wifi, nice deep pool, comfortable double bed, very good location – 5-10 minutes walking distance to the sea, shops, restaurants and bars + 24H shop in the corner.
Ideal hotel for the group of friends but also suitable for families with children for a citybreak.
The kitchen equipment was little bit poor for an apartment hotel - I washed our dishes with soap and without sponge :))

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

We reserved a 5 person room. Good location 5 to 10 minutes from the city center. Also next to the sea. Clean and plenty space for all of us. Also there are two bathrooms.Good price also and friendly staff.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends