Ideon Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Casa Dei Delfini(Rethymnon)
Casa Vitae Hotel(Rethymnon)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssea viewold townvenetian harbourhotel doglovely hotelair conbed and breakfastthomas cookbreakfast was buffet stylerooms cleaned dailysea frontreturning guestssmall chargesmall poolgreat positionsummer holidayhotel staff
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Nice hotel situated in the old town of Rethymno, close to the Venetian harbor and lots of good restaurants and shops. Quite new and simple hotel with all you need of appliances and ammenities. Nice back garden with pool and sunbeds. Breakfast served in the lobby and outside, but the selection could have been better and so could the service of the staff. Small uncomfortable beds, but a nice balcony.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tyler S
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We (2 adults and a 4 year old) visited the Ideon in Sept 2011. On arrival in the early hours of the morning, we were given our room key and tiredly proceeded to our room. We requested a pool view (a year in advance) but were greeted with walls and rooftops (from what we could see in the dark) and also no where for our daughter to sleep! After complaining to the reception, the sofa was made up into a bed and we were told to see reception in the morning although the hotel was full. After a further complaint to our rep, we were moved to the 3rd floor with a pool view and a bed for our daughter.

After our initial glitch, we enjoyed the rest of our holiday.

The hotel was a good 3*, nothing more, nothing less. The rooms were smallish and the beds not the comfiest but adequate. The cleaning staff did a goodish job, if you don't look under the bed.

The staff at breakfast were fantastic, especially Sophia and always greeted us with a smile and the food was good too, a great start to the day.

The hotels location is fantastic, right on the edge of the old town and a 10-15 minute walk from the beach. The pool is small, but we only spent a couple of days there as we always enjoy the beach.

Overall, we enjoyed our holiday, but unfortunately would not return to the hotel, just not our cup of tea!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms looked nice.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SmithFamilyCarlisle
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I stayed 5 days in this hotel. While the greeting at the front desk wasnt all that friendly, and we were a bit surprised that we had to take our own bags to the room, though there was a lift we were quite happy with the hotel overall.
I had requested a sea view, front room and had said I would even pay extra but they said they could not guarantee it even though I booked 6 months in advance. I did request a double bed and not 2 single put together. This request was more important. The room had a small balcony over the pool on the 3rd floor and a view of the other rooms acrross the courtyard and a very very small sea view way in the distance. The room was quite spacious, very clean and the bed very comfortable, The pillows were terrible they were either so thin that I had to use 4 and had a problem getting that many, or so high and hard like rocks (the new ones) that I couldnt use them. However they managed to find me 4 old ones that I was able to sleep on.
Breakfast was adequate and there was hot food sometimes. We didnt use the pool but it was vey small and not a lot of room around it. There were a lot of package guests from what we could see and they sat around the pool all day with the children. That did cause a bit of a problem if you tried to have a late afternoon siesta as they made a lot of noise from 9am to 7pm, so a nap was out of the question.
The hotel was very convenient to walk everywhere in the old town and all the restaurants, also to explore the castle.
The reception desk were helpful when we needed information during our stay.
Altogether I thought it was an excellant hotel for the price of 79 euro with breakfast, which is what we paid.
Janderra

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a higher floor (3) if you can, as the lower ones at the back look at a brick wall and there is no natural light. Also one of the front rooms if you can, but they wont guarantee that, I think they book them for the package tours.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janderra
Reviewed 22 November 2011

There are many excellent reviews of the hotel and the town here and on the whole I agree with most of them. I therefore propose to concentrate on other points.

We spent a fortnight in Room 306 overlooking the pool at the end of August. Front of the hotel has lovely sea views but not much sun on the balconies. It was not noisy and AC/fridge worked well.

The lid of the safe is extremely heavy and I often thought quite dangerous should it slip and fall onto your hand. Please be careful. Balconies in Rooms 01 to 05 face the back of a building and a blank wall and should be avoided. We like having breakfast outdoor by the pool. The fruit juice was more squash rather than juice but it was no great hardship to get Peach Nectar from the nearest supermarket for €1.50. The breakfast was cereals (no British Cornflakes – bring your own if you must have Kelloggs), Greek Yoghurt (thick but they claimed only with 2% fat), tinned and fresh fruit, six hot dishes which varied daily, cheese and ham, toast making facility, various kinds of bread, numerous jams and Cretan honey and some Greek specialities which were tasty and enjoyable. The staff kept refilling the trays all morning with fresh supplies. Excellent food.

The Breakfast was however totally ruined by the number of visitors smoking nearby, some without a break. Even when we sat away from others by the side of the pool, the smoke was smelly and sickening. Why people have to smoke right first thing in the morning and why non smokers have to put up with so much selfishness I have no idea. Ever since smoking was banned indoors, we have been plagued by this problem every time we go away on holiday. I can only dream of having smoke free al fresco meals abroad now a days.

There was an amazing show every night – with what seemed like hundreds of thousands of birds – swallows? – swarming all over the town trying to find suitable resting places on overhead cables.

We went on B and B basis. Evening meals in the hotel looked good value for money for the choice on offer. However, we ate out every night. Cost roughly €40 for the meal including a bottle of wine €15. I recommend Loggia, To Pigadi (The Well), Agira (in Panoramo), Taverna Castelo, Taverna Sokaki (Lemon Garden), Alana, and Othonas. I regret I don’t remember some other names but for lunches especially, I highly recommend a Restaurant called Fanari just across the road from the hotel by the sea wall. The view of the sea in the warm sunshine was lovely and so was the food and the service. Dimetri, the waiter, is friendly and attentive and brought us a complimentary half carafe of wine when we became regulars! If you go to have a meal or a drink say Hello and wish him the best from us.
We had to pay €20 to keep the room until 6pm on the day of the departure. It was worth it and allowed us to take advantage of the whole day in the resort. There are large lockable storage cupboards for the cases and the hotel supplied the towels for a shower before dinner! We enjoyed our stay and we may visit again. However, Crete is a large island and to see it properly, we may have to stay in different locations over a number of visits.

Room Tip: front has sea views but little sun. avoid 01 to 05 rooms on any floor as they face a wall and not the pool Restaurants in the harbour area are expensive - check the prices before you order
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank outdoorliving
Reviewed 29 October 2011

After booking this hotel for a special treat I was slightly dissapointed.
Unfortunately the flights were at silly o`clock and we arrived in the early hours. Our room was in the annex next door on the ground floor. The first impression was that although we had a garden the room wasnt very spacious. In the room was a kitchen area which had no utensils, pots ,pans etc and completely un-neccessary. the space(cupboards) was used as storage for the cases and shoes !!
the bathroom was tiny and needs a facelift, the shower curtain was totally useless and the place flooded daily. Out of 11 nights we had hot water for only 5 .
The restaurant serves a selection of buffet food all of which is ok but not too hot.....
Some evenings it was difficult to put a balanced meal together with the collection of food available .....which was quite funny at first !!
The pool is very small and the sunbeds all need new mattresses apart from 2 ....yep we had to fight for those 2 !!
The only bad thing I can say was the night before we left the room next door became occupied by 9 youngsters !! yep a double room occupied by 9 ,...........the noise was horrendous , the amount of rubbish from takeaway food in the garden was disgusting. After several complaints by phone to reception starting at 12 midnight to 3.30am which had no direct effect I had to visit the reception in my pyjamas and it became apparant that the visitors were known to the staff !!
The whole experience of those 2 nights , loud music, loud partying, rubbish, and bad management actually has marred our holiday and would think twice about staying here again.
In short ..the hotel is ok , dont take the half board option, get to the pool early to grab a good bed, the annex rooms are great on the ground floor but small , and the staff really dont help you with noisy teenagers partying till 5am .

Room Tip: the annex is better than the main hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends