“A great 4* plus hotel but lacks the wow factor of a 5 star”
Review of Elounda Bay Palace

Elounda Bay Palace
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Elounda Bay Palace for a relaxing break in the sun in June 2011. In my opinion it's a great "4 star plus" hotel but lacks the wow factor of a 5 star. If you stay here you'll have a really good holiday with nothing major to complain about but it won't blow you away. It wouldn't for example stack up against the Amathus Beach Hotel in Cyprus.
The Best Bits:
* The hotel grounds are beautiful and it has a couple of private beaches which are visible from the main pool.
* The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Elounda village which has a lovely harbour - head down there for lunch or drinks in the evening.
* Service is of a very high standard, all the staff were polite and friendly.
*Food at the buffet was excellent as was the local wine!

The Niggly Bits:
* Air conditioning in the rooms isn't particularly strong and it's centrally controlled so you can't make it cooler which caused a few issues sleeping at night.
* The drinks are a little expensive resulting in not many people staying in the bar at night - no atmosphere. Not a huge issue though -just pop down into Elounda instead.
* The rooms are a little bit dated in terms of decor but still very clean and tidy. Don't bother upgrading to a garden room - it's not worth it. The sea view rooms are great.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BGTravelLondon
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel. Our WOW factor as you put it is in our location, which is a cove with 2 sandy beaches and waterfront accommodation. The style of the hotel has been deliberately kept in the Cretan village style and cannot be compared to more modern styles of hotels. It is our Cretan style and hospitality that makes us unique and able to provide the kind of holiday that leaves our guests feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. We enjoy a very high repeater guest rate and combined with a very loyal staff go to make a happy and familiar atmosphere in our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the food and wines here at the hotel and we will be delighted to welcome you again for another holiday at The Elounda bay Palace.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2011

We stayed in the new seaview rooms in the hotel, and they were lovely. All the restaurants for lunch served great food with really friendly service.
The spa was also an amazing treat although more expensive than most in the UK. We booked half board and did'nt realise that meant only dinner, instead of lunch, as we prefer to eat out of the hotel in the evening, However when we did eat in the restaurant in the evening the food was very nice and we did again have good service.
I would go back for a relaxing couples break or with young children. The hotel, beach, staff and setting was fantastic and we would love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fi7676
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Thank you for your review about the holiday experience that you had with us at the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel.
The anniversary 35th year of the hotel has given us an ideal opportunity to offer our guests a credit of 100€ for use in our spa which is part of the Herni Chenot philosophy of spas.
Our relaxing ambience and hospitable staff, whose aim is to make all our guests feel special, all set in our mature Mediterranean gardens right on the waters edge with our private beaches go to make the ideal holiday setting.
We are looking forward to welcoming you for a future stay at the hotel and hope that your memories of our Cretan paradise bring you back soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

My friend and I took a room each for a week's break in September. I had stayed here several times many years ago when it was Astir Palace so it was a trip down memory lane. Some areas have hardly altered and their charm maintained but I was delighted by the changes that had taken place. My biggest surprise was how quiet the hotel had become. It was always exclusive but seemed to have a very low occupancy on our visit. We both wanted a rest so it wasn't a great issue. It had the atmosphere of an exclusive club. The staff said the hotel had been quiet all season because of the recession. I cannot praise the staff enough. I constantly travel with work and have stayed at numerous four and five star hotels all over the world but I have never encountered such consistently friendly staff. I kept expecting someone to be indifferent but the staff are exceptional. It's incredible. The restaurants and food quality are superb. The buffet in the main restuarant was somewhat limited because of the hotel's low occupancy but what was on offer was outstanding. The dolcelatte sauce with the roast pork at the carvery was sublime. My only criticism was breakfast. Coffee was average, poor omelettes and horror of horrors - no smoked salmon!!! I disagree with the reviews that say that drinks prices are absurdly high. I felt they were about right for a five star hotel and there were some very good value wines on the menu which were similarly priced to the tavernas. A wide variety of watersports are available. Waterskiing is reasonably priced but jetskiing is absurdly high. All in all a fantastic experience and will definitely be returning. I hope business picks up for the hotel as it deserves to be busier.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2011

Thank you for writing about your visit on Trip Advisor and your kind praise for the staff of the hotel. Many of our staff have been with the hotel since it opened 35 years ago and are proud to be celebration this special anniversary with us this year. We have many new benefits for all our guests this year and we are bringing in new policies. We have been carefully listening to the suggestions of our guests and are now putting in to action many things that they would like to see changed, for example complimentary gym and tennis facilities, complimentary water, to name a few. With this anniversary year it is an excellent time to make changes and new policy, which we are sure will delight all our guests. We have just launched our new website and it is now possible to view all of our dining venues and their menus, complete with the prices, winelists and bar menus.
The ambience of the hotel as it nestles in its exotic gardens is one of relaxation and holiday. From the Cretan hospitality at the Traditional taverna restaurant to the Sail In jetty bar to the wide variety of choices of entertainment and dinning venues with in the resort all go to make the holiday experience at the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel an unforgettable one.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit to this holiday paradise.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hotel is just outstanding. I've been staying there for 7 times and only once we were a bit irritated about a big group of Coca Cola Greece. All the other times we were completely satisfied. I've been visiting a lot of other 5 star hotels recently all around the world. And this hotel is incomparable because of the very friendly and helpful staff as of the absolutely beautiful location. Of course the all extra services are quite expensive but no more than in other luxury hotels.

It's not an action hotel but if you're looking for a quite recreative holiday you'll be right there. The half-board restaurant is not exceptional but for the price alright if you go to one of the other hotel restaurants it's at least about 200 euros per dinner but definitely delicious.

In the main building not all rooms are perfect. The first time we had the two rooms next to the elevator and heard it all night. Since the rooms have been refurbished they're all very nice. The whole family very enjoyed our stay and the amazing beaches we reccomend the hotel all our friends.

While we were staying the third time we got even a free upgrade to a villa with private pool and that was just incredible. I think it's the structure of the hotel like a small village with differents restaurants and private villas which makes it a very unique resort.
There was no issue I had to worry about and even if there had been one a call would have settled it.

As soon as I find the time again I'll visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Blickpositiv
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2010

As one of our loyal guests we greatly appreciate your having taken the time to write a review on The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel. As you have stayed at the hotel so many times over the years you have been able to watch the changes that have been made to ensure that the resort stays in the ways that our loyal guests enjoy and how we have adapted to meet new standards that our guests expect of us.
We take very seriously the opinions of our guests, as through this we have built our repeater guest rate to the extent it is and we hope that our guests will continue to give us the feedback to aid us in this on going process. It is the little things and the fine tuning that makes all the difference. Our staff who have been with the hotel for years become like old family friends to our guests and look forward to welcoming them year after year.
We look forward to welcoming you next summer with the family.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

Yes this is a lovely hotel in a lovely location and the staff are very friendly and will do as much as they can to help however there were too many niggles and issues I found with this hotel which should just not happen in a 5 star hotel.

We paid for 3 deluxe sea view rooms for myself,my fiance and 11 month old son and our parents back in March 2010. As my mother uses a wheelchair and has limited mobility we checked with a large number of 5 star hotels in the area and the Bay Palace was practically the only one to say they could accomodate us. What we got (see pictures) was 3 huge rooms on the ground floor (101, 103 & 105) but with views of the beautiful olive trees (you could hear the sea!) I appreciate that the room adapted for disabled customers was on the ground floor but please do not charge us sea view rates when we clearly got garden views. After complaining, we were upgraded free of charge to a beautiful (although small) suite on the 4th floor. My fiance's parents were offered the standard of room we had paid for originally but declined it as it was very small. My parents had to stay where they were due to the facilities. The difference in room size and quality was vast and I was surprised to see the state of a couple of rooms we were offered first of all before we were upgraded. Even the finish to our suite was very poor (sockets coming off the wall, wardrobe jamming, silicone seal splashed all around the bath) and not what I would expect in a 5 star hotel.

I was also very disappointed that despite booking when the half board lunch or dinner option was advertised, when we arrived we were told that this had been withdrawn. Our travel agent tried to sort this before we arrived (thanks to another review I read warning about this) but we got no reply and only when I complained once there that it was false advertising did I get one days voucher.

The cleaning of the rooms were sporadic. When our maid went to Athens we had to phone to get our room cleaned at night. When you have dirty nappies in your room from 3pm, its an essential service and you should not have to chase it at 9.30pm. Towels were not replaced every day (again phone calls resolved this) and our balcony was never mopped down (the reason I know is that we had rain on our 3rd day there and the stain came off the wood - the stains of the furniture were still on the floor and the splashes still on the glass)

The hotel was not full but there was an obvious lack of staff every where (we spoke to another couple who had been here 2 years ago and said it was very noticable, especially around the gardens and at the pool, the restaurant staff were there morning and night - a very long shift). On average you had to wait 20 - 30 mins for a drink at the pool (not the lovely Irini's fault, she was the only one on) - you would not want to be dying of thirst. And yes, the cost of drinks were silly. Yes I expect to pay premium prices at a 5 star hotel but this was more expensive than New York, Vienna and Tenerife (and they were 5 star too) This was obviously felt by most of the people staying as you constantly saw everyone with supermarket bags full of bottles and cans and balconies with people sitting enjoying cheaper drinks - and the bars were empty. We were the only couple at the Sail in bar and the bar by the restaurant so it speaks volumes. Perhaps the management don't want their bars full as they may have to staff them?

On the plus side, room service was one of the best I have ever experienced - I thought very reasonable for the amount of food we got. The main restaurant had fabulous variety (salads the freshest I have tastest) although the hot food was generally only luke warm - unless you got the fresh pasta made for you from the pan. The views from the 4th floor were spectacular (sunrises a must thanks to our son's early morning rise)

I feel the hotel is trying to cut costs but still expects to charge (who ever heard of paying to use the gym in a 5 star hotel) top rate. My comments to the management resulted in a bulk standard letter offering a free nights stay .... when I return next year. I think they may have missed the point............

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank AirdrieToots
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2010

Having read your review and already knowing the story behind your booking and subsequent stay at The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel, a holiday hotel and resort, I feel that it was perhaps you who has missed the point.
Our staff went out of their way to accommodate you and your extended family in an area of the hotel where you could be together and in comfort as per your requests. The rooms you were allocated are Deluxe seaview rooms 60 of 60 square meters and some of the most sort after rooms in our hotel with direct access to the beach. Style and décor of our rooms are a purely a matter of individual taste.
I hope that some of our loyal guests who will read your comments will reply in kind.
As we are a hotel who trys to accommodate the every wish of our guests and as you point out, we were the only one in Elounda area who was willing to fulfill your requests, we would be pleased to welcome you next year for another family holiday, especially as you now know the types of accommodation available to you so enabling you to make a choice of room category to suit your needs.

Manolis Rassoulis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
0.7 km away
Creta Maris Beach Resort
#6 of 174 in Hersonissos
4.2 km away
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection

Been to Elounda Bay Palace? Share your experiences!