“Amazin food”

Indian Haveli
Ranked #7 of 2,836 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Neighbourhood: Thissio / Makriyanni
Description: Indian Haveli is an Authentic Indian Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian,North and South Indian cuisine in Center of Athens,Near Acropolis Metro,with variety of curries that are made out of fresh ingredients with diverse tastes and decorative elements while at the same time maintaining the hospitality traditions of India.We are Serving Delicious food with reasonable prices.
Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

We din expect such yummlicious indian food in athens...amazin.....would highly recommend haveli.veg n non veg both were equally delicious.and service was very warm n friendly.good going guys

1  Thank Radhika B

Reviewed 11 November 2018

1. Misleading ranking
One more case of rigged ranking on TripAdvisor. This restaurant is full of 5-star ratings, many of which are from members who seem to have joined recently and have reviewed this place and nothing else. I realised this after I fell victim of trusting the top ranking. I was so disillusioned by the restaurant that I started doubting myself for having such a different opinion until I had a thorough look at the reviews. Too bad I hadn't done my research beforehand. One spoilt birthday celebration.
High time TripAdvisor did a serious cross-checking of members and reviews and a thorough clean-up of all these misleading factors.
2. The review
Saturday evening and the restaurant was packed. On the plus side, smoking is not allowed. Staff consisted of East Asian women, presumably Filipinos, which was a bit disconcerting. So much for authenticity. One didn't speak Greek, the other took the order with a smirk and in the end didn't bother to clean up the table when we were done eating.
We ordered two main dishes, two side dishes and a naan. The Chicken Madras was below average. The meat was overcooked and the sauce lacked the characteristic coconut flavour. I found the Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes with spices) inedible. It had been overly fried in some kind of off-putting oil. The only dried fruit in the Zarda Pulao were a few raisins, as for the Pineapple Raita, it was plain yogurt with a chopped slice of canned pineapple and a cherry tomato. The butter naan was very greasy and the mango lassi had such a chalky taste that it was obvious that it was made of some sort of powder. Prices at about 8-10 euros a dish would've only been justified if the dishes had been properly prepared.
One more thing. When one calls for a table reservation, the management ought to state that they do not accept credit cards. We were lucky we had a credit card and didn't have to search for an ATM in the night, which would've made the whole experience even more unpleasant.

4  Thank RexTsatsaroglou
Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

The food and the atmosphere was amazing. This is a really cool find for anybody wanting Indian food.

2  Thank annaroberts96
Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

Arrived in Athens with a few work colleagues... promptly ditched them and went out to see if I could remember my way around from a brief visit a few years back.

Inevitably, I quickly got lost. Luckily I stumbled upon this place whilst deciding to take a different route back to the hotel.

The restaurant is right on a major road junction, but take one step inside and you cannot hear the traffic at all. The lighting is wonderfully subdued and atmospheric, and the Indian music is at just the right level.

Staff are super-friendly too.

I had the prawn vindaloo (as I almost always do). It was not what I’d expect in the UK... but it was spicy and tasty, so ‘different’ was certainly still ‘good’

If I was here for more than two nights I’d certainly come back and try something else. Well recommended.

2  Thank Al_Gale777
Reviewed 7 November 2018

I like to try new dining establishments as it always feel a little risky - a bit of a roll of the dice. Fortunately, my dice have managed to bear fruit. Of course using a site like TripAdvisor can help to mitigate risk. One could be forgiven for thinking they were on to a "dead cert" when the Indian Haveli turns up at the top of the list for this category of restaurant. Moreover, the restaurant has acquired the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence!

The restaurant is situated in a very touristic area with Hadrians Gate only a stones throw away and is flanked with numerous hotels. It is also on the corner of one of the busiest roads in Athens the noise of which does not exactly promote an atmosphere for an enjoyable meal. The music played for atmosphere inside the Haveli was more suited to a nightclub than any haveli and caused me and my partner to raise our voices to an uncomfortable level in order to communicate even the most basic of sentiments.

Upon arriving relatively early at about 18:30, with a craving for a slap-up Indian meal, we were shown to a table immediately adjacent to the main shop window. When we looked around we were given the impression that it would ruin the evening service should we chosen to sit elsewhere. Obediently, we took our places.

Menus arrived and shortly after our waitress arrived to take our order. She also informed us that their POS card machine was not working and that payment would only be possible in cash. At this moment, we should have decided to leave as it was early on a Friday evening and we could have easily found somewhere else to eat. Admittedly, thoughts did begin to circulate that at least two very important things were not working in this Indian Haveli. It could be argued that the POS terminal card machine and allowing a guest to choose where they would like to sit, are fairly essential to a guests comfort.

Despite these facts, we agreed to order and then go in search of a cash point - ridiculous as it sound for the centre of Athens. Our order arrived very quickly, at most ten minutes after ordering. When my partner eventually returned from the cash point, at least 25 minutes later, the food had lost a good deal of heat.

The menu clearly indicates which dishes are spicy with the classic series of chilli pepper icons - 1 for mild and 5 for very spicy. The dishes I tasted were very mild indeed and so I was left to conclude that the chilli pepper icon machine was also broken... The waitress kindly offer to bring some chilli paste to allow me to top-up the heat, but she neglected to followup her offer until very much later - mistakes happen.

At some point later, the "chef" or someone purporting to be in some authority began to circulate among the guests, with smiles and nods of satisfaction from most as far as I could understand. When chef arrived at our table, he asked whether everything was ok and I informed him that the food would have been better had it not lost so much heat due to the hike undertaken to find a cash point. The chef then served up a plethora of excuses and kindly suggested that we could return in three days to use the POS card machine. He was kindly advised to not hold his breath... There was no attempt to address any of my complaints.

The bill came to €39.50 for two chicken curry main courses, two naan bread, a portion of rice, a 330ml beer and an orange drink. The dishes were passable but very average in my humble opinion. It is flummoxing, to understand how this restaurant earned a certificate of excellence of any description, as I could not observe even one shred of excellence. Perhaps there is a disconnect between the Trip Advisor platform and actual reality?

The Indian Haveli is did not live up to the expectations its reviews lead one to believe by any stretch of the imagination. The Indian Haveli is loud, unwelcoming, and the food is mediocre at best served in meagre portions.

3  Thank Heston1A