“Excellent hotel”

AVA Hotel Athens
Ranked #2 of 282 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the AVA Hotel. We travelled with our 4 children aged 2, 4, 16 and 18. The suite we had worked so well as the bedroom is separated from the living room. We had our 2 year old in a cot with us and our 4 year old on the sofa bed (which was also very comfy). There is a flat screen tv in each room and we were able to hook up our laptop with our HDMI cord so we could play the kids movies for them. The rooms were lovely and clean and spacious. Our teenage boys were in a room of their own across the hall. The breakfast was great with a selection of juices, fruits, cereals and bacon and eggs. The location was superb! Just a short stroll to restaurants and all of the ancient sites. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Athens. We were in Athens last year and stayed in Omonia and quickly discovered that Plaka is definitely the place to base yourself when staying in Athens. The area has a great feel to it. Definitely recommend!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Touringwithtots
Write a ReviewReviews (1,749)

Reviewed 23 October 2011

WOW! We were VERY surprised by how amazing this hotel and staff are! Seriously everything is awesome! We had a room close to reception on the first floor with a private patio, kitchenette and spacious room. Upon arrival we were even comped a bottle of champagne. During breakfast the staff is at your service and constantly making sure you have everything you need. The hotel is in a very convenient place in the Plaka neighborhood and a minute walk from Zeus' Temple and less than 10 minutes from the Acropolis. Also close to nice restaurants and the helpful staff will point you in the direction of these! The only negative thing I could say about this hotel was that the shower was small (but really with everything else so great, I would give this place !) stars if I could!)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My 80 yr old Mother and I arrived by ferry and took the Metro to the Ava hotel, which I chose based upon the reviews and the fact that strikes would not be conducted near this hotel. Big mistake taking the Metro. We each had 2 suitcases and had to change trains and continually locate an elevator for my mother, who also fell and miraculously was not injured. When I bought the tickets for the Metro, I was warned to be careful. Later, someone had unzipped my Mom's pocketbook and then removed her wallet halfway when I saw it. When we exited, we were sent the wrong way by 2 passerbys and headed to the Acropolis museum. After we asked a police officer, a helpful man with an Iphone and a man in a booking joint, we made it to the hotel exhausted and hot. (However, if you only have one suitcase and do not have anything worth stealing exposed, this is the cheapest way to get to the hotel, as later explained below).

A very friendly Asian woman at Ava helped carry the luggage to our room, brought us a bucket with ice water and some desserts. A very appreciated touch. The rooms were better than 5 star establishments we had stayed at on Crete and Santorini. Every convienance was there from a cooking area with a stoves, microwave, pot to heat tea/coffee, a frig, 2 desks, a separate living space with a television, another television in the bedroom, a balcony with a view of the Acropolis and Hadrians Wall, and a big bathroom with a recessed celing complemented with artwork.

My only criticisms of the accommodations are that there were two single beds too close together, as my mother snored, and the wireless internet did not work. I had to plug a DSL cord into a wall at a desk near the entryway after making several calls to the front desk trying to get the wireless connection to work.

Ava hotel is within easy walking distance of the Plaka that has endless restaurants and better shops than we had seen on 3 Greek islands. However, we did not like the aggressive restaurant owners trying to lure you to their tables. Much to my surprise, Athens was immaculate. A cab driver told us that mainly the tourist areas were clean.

In the room, there is a helpful comprehensive book of where to eat and tours. The price of the Acropolis/City tour is much higher, (@67 Euros) than in the book, and, in my opinion, was way over priced. However, you cannot see the Acropolis/city in a short time without a tour guide to truly appreciate the highlights. Plus, the Acropolis museum would have been monotonous without the guide, who was an archeologist, explaining everything to us. We were also given extra tickets, but we were only there 2 days and could not use them.

Breakfast at Ava was average. Along with the standard Greek breakfast fare, there were hot scrambled eggs the first day, and I don't recall what type of eggs the second morning. I later learned that you can request whatever type of egg preparation you would like and gourmet coffees such as cappuccino We only had 10 minutes for breakfast the first day, because we did not get a wake up call and almost missed our tour. The second day I had to run to the bank to get Euros for transport and only had 10 minutes again to eat.

Now, for what tainted the conclusion of my Greek trip. My Mom was told by a couple that it cost 30 Euros for transport from the airport to the hotel. Ava told us 100 Euros without a taxi strike, so someone is making a big profit. We were planning to take a cab to the bus stop and then the bus on a straight line to the airport. However, there was a taxi strike at 10pm the night before. Ava staff never told us until I called at 6am for a 10ish am departure. On TripAdvisor, I read someone paid 130 Euros for Avo to arrange a private airport transfer. We were told, because it was last minute, it was 160. I was upset but felt we had no option due to my mother's age. She was also angry, so she wanted to pull the luggage 15 minutes to the busstop.

At the bank, as I exchanged my money for 160 Euros, the bank teller began talking to the other bank personnel and a customer, all of whom were outraged that I was being charged this much to get to the airport. What also bothered me was that I was not allowed to use a credit card (no doubt so the money would never have to be reported). Anyway, one of the bank employees went to another hotel, and we had someone take us to the airport for 50 Euros. In response to my survey, the manager of Avo said that they will not use off duty cab drivers, as it could be dangerous. My thought is that they should have other transport at a more reasonable price than 130-160 Euros. Fortunately, I left Greece with memories of the kindness of bank staff who had helped us.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
ManagerAVAHotel, Manager at AVA Hotel Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate your detailed information and we are glad to hear that in general you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments. We hope that you and your mother will keep all the good memories of this trip! On the day of your departure, there was unfortunately a taxi strike, which was not announced until the evening before. The Front Desk had put an announcement to inform all guests.
Because of this taxi strike, only private transfer companies could be used for transfers to the Airport, which costs are much higher than taxi fees. The cheaper transfers referred to in this review, are done by individuals who operate (illegally) outside the city’s regulated taxi/transfer laws and as such are regarded unsafe and unreliable. As a reputable hotel, caring about our guest’s comfort and safety, we can only offer regulated transfers.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

It's walking distance to everything you want to do in Athens. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They provided a map and gave us lots of tips on what to do. They smiled and greeted us every time we returned to the hotel. They made us feel welcome.

We stayed in a Regular Suite. The bathroom was comically small. We actually laughed. The room itself was large, so it was surprising. Avoid staying on the same floor as the lobby if possible. The noise from the lobby made sleep difficult. We learned to leave our hood fan running to create some white noise. They charged one night to my credit card a week before we arrived, so they're obviously very strict on their cancellation policy. Just something to keep in mind while the strikes make travel difficult in Greece.

Room Tip: Avoid the same floor as the lobby.