“Best food we ate”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Thissio / Makriyanni
Description: Small, simple, family-owned taverna serving traditional and local Greek home-style cooking for over 30 years. Menu changes daily and written on the blackboard outside. Cash only.
Reviewed 15 May 2018

Without question this was the best food we ate in Athens. Is it fancy? No. Go to Balcony if you want that in this neighbourhood. But it it top class food? Absolutely! So, so good. All cooked fresh, the waiter takes you through what's on offer that day - always grilled meats, salads, moussaka, etc all the usuals but cooked fresh on the day til they run out. Right on the door step of the Acropolis museum and duty sightseeing bus route. Do here and the Acropolis and you'll be happy with your holiday!

1  Thank FoodfiendWinchester

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We found the portions generous and the price reasonable. The spot is busy but they always try to seat you. The grill cook also plays the bouzouki and it really made the visit special. The specials vary from day to day and can be viewed at the counter.
We really enjoyed the Tzatziki and they don't skimp on the garlic! Dinner for 2 with salad, wine, and meat dishes was 29€.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

The lamb I had here was delicious, much tastier and 60% cheaper than the one I had yesterday around the corner at one of the many restaurants opposite the Acropolis station. The friendly lady let me taste various meats, and the lamb was the most juicy.
Rick Steves was right in recommending this place.

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

It is a very humble but enjoyable reastaurant. They cook traditional greek food, which was very tasty and cheap.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

We came here because of a Rick Steves recommendation after visiting the Acropolis museum, but we were pretty disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the food was ok, but it was nothing to write home (or in a guidebook) about. I did like that they had the food out so we could look at it and decide what we wanted (mostly helpful for our 3-yr-old, though he still didn't want to pick anything), but the food wasn't that good. I had the chicken and it was a big piece, but pretty dry. At least everything was cheap.

*if you like my review, I hope you'll click the 'helpful' button; those of us who write reviews love to get them and it motivates us to do more :) *

1  Thank skipitgood