“Vegetarian and Gluten-Free Options”

Restaurante Nova China
Ranked #899 of 1,954 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Finding restaurants in Porto that serve meals that are both vegetarian and gluten-free can be a challenge. Restaurante Nova China has it covered with several options incorporating either rice or the home-made rice noodles. And there are plenty of options for meat-eaters like myself.

The restaurant makes its own noodles, both rice noodles and chow mein (egg noodles), so two of us chose noodle dishes. They also make their own (optional) chilli sauce which certainly helped to put a kick into my chow mein with shrimps and vegetables.

For appetisers, the mushroom soup and the chicken and corn soup were both very tasty.

The hostess was friendly and helpful and speaks English. We had an enjoyable dinner and the price is excellent (less than €30 for three of us, including drinks).

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

I’m from Singapore which has many high class and good quality Chinese food, one of the best in Asia actually. I came with my family to Porto and started craving my Chinese appetite after a week. It was new year so all restaurants were fully booked. We managed to find this restaurant just as we lost hope, the area was packed with people, however the owner still managed to find time to seat us and talk to us about specialties and her family history. She was very kind and patient, as well as efficient. We started with some chicken and bean sprouts as well as a tofu dish. I wasn’t excepting much and thought the meal would be like other European country Chinese restaurants. However, this food blew my frickin mind. It tasted so similar to singaporean Chinese food, it had that authentic Chinese taste. Many would think it’s salty or over flavoured etc. However, having come from Singapore I can tell you it’s so similar to that Home cooked food u can only find in such places. It really took my tastebuds back to Singapore and I loved the food so much we returned 2 more times just to eat it. I highly recommend the AMAZING BANANA FLAMBÉ ITS SO GOOOOOOD. Like pls order it, also take the time to talk to the owner ( she is quarter Chinese despite not looking like it ). At first sight the place seems a tad run down, however don’t let looks deceive you because looks don’t mean food is bad, the look is also very similar to that of a Chinese shop house in Asia so I hope you take that from someone with a lot of background in an Asian country and someone of Asian blood too :) pls visit it is very worthwhile!

Reviewed 8 June 2017

It´s a restaurant that i go a lot since i was a child, it´s a very old restaurant , it´s open since 1973 and it´s stays the same over the time.In my last visit at dinner for the first time the girl who´s usually the waiter was concern because the only table left was by the door, they had a big group coming from indonesia and there weren´t many tables left and the girl knows me and she knows i don´t like the table by the door but my friend didn´t mind and she wanted so much to eat there , she is vegetarian and the food is fresh made . I choose one dish that I usually choose , duck with orange I my frind choose fried noodles with vegetables , tofu and chinese mushrooms and it was everything perfect and good as usual. My friend choose the noodles because the waiter told her that they make ther own noodles and it´s something you don´t see much these days and my friend love it because she once had the chance to eat fresh noodles in lisbon in a chinese friend hause made by his mother and she never found in chinese restaurants or any other.Chinese restaurants usually use already prepare dry noodles .I knew that they had noodles but I didn´t knew that they make them .It´s an old restaurant and the decoration is simple but the food is very good and you have to be deaf not to hear the noise of the pans in the kitchen .The waiter being portuguese explains everything you ask with no hesitation , and what she tells you is what you get .I recomend this restaurant to all the people who want to eat food and they got tired of the so called "Knew, clean, restaurants " because the decoration is not everything.

Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

Food was totally rubbish.
Ingredients wasnt fresh.
And next morning both of us had diarrhea. Very badly.
Owner is not chinese.

1  Thank Hongkyu c
Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

It was by chance we found this place as we were looking out for something light to bite before our journey to airport.

Greeted by a nice lady, who is the granddaughter of a chinese immigrant 40 years ago. Showed us pictures of the restaurant, grandparents.. etc... gorgeous and beautiful history.

Meal was good. Cooked by her mom who is a portuguese. Chinese tasting? Hmmm, a good fusion... we enjoyed our lunch very much!