6 people are viewing this hotel
US$168
Hotels.comUS$245
PricelineUS$220
eDreamsUS$220
All reviews the main hotel honesty bar former bank upstairs library great wine selection beautiful hotel private patio boutique hotel huge room recommend this hotel to anyone deluxe suite memorable stay apartment was spacious room number busy street high ceilings top floor
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 October 2020

Torel 1884 may be a nice place BUT what I find unacceptable for this kind of hotel is that they first confirm the booking (directly with Torel 1884) of 2 suites and the day after they USE Covid as an excuse to say there is no place anymore....BUT they propose us an upgrade in Torel Avantgarde with pool, Douro-look, free parking...it LOOKS attractive...BUT a month ago they did the same "covid"-proposition to a French lady (see her comment) and she was absolutely NOT pleased with her stay! A mediocre hotel even with an upgrade is still mediocre! EVEN WORSE , 2 days after we tried to do the same booking direct at 1884 as before for the same 2 suites at same dates and it was perfectly possible! No Covid in two days...do the have vaccine YET? SO they permit overbooking over and over again and then send you to a not so nice hotel with an upgrade...but with NO SATISFACTION at the end. UNACCEPTABLE and DISHONEST....and I have travelled a lot, see all my comments. Very pity. Now we made reservations at Le Monumental Palace, Maison Albar Hotels and then we go to SIX Senses Douro Valley. Torel 1884 has LOST a good client permitting overbooking and being dishonest.

Room tip: Don't accept an upgrade to Torel Avantgarde !!
Date of stay: October 2020
7  Thank Letiphil
Reviewed 10 September 2020 via mobile

The hotel is very modern and well decorated, but still preserves the classic style from which the name comes, the original stairs, the safe in the restaurant, the size and comfort of the rooms, breakfast, cleanliness and location are just perfect! The staff team are incredibly friendly and professional. I highly recommend staying in it! I’ll see you soon again.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank erivand
Reviewed 27 August 2020

I booked 3 rooms in this hotel for a pre-wedding pamper weekend - booked for the end of March 2020.

When the UK went into lockdown and all the bridesmaids were stuck in their countries (USA, Netherlands, Portugal and UK). I contacted the hotel to see what could be done. They were a little unhelpful and somewhat rude, but eventually, they agreed to move the booking to a later date (and being nice, I didn;t want the hotel to suffer because I knew the travel industry was worried about covid-19).
As they stay would now be after the wedding (though the wedding was also cancelled a few days later, so that was another blow), I converted the booking to a long weekend, and for one room instead of 3. We paid the extra money on top of the original price (which included a more expensive fee as the new booking would be 'peak season'). The new booking was for September 2020. We also moved/ rebooked flights (though we lost money on one airline), transport to/from the airport, dog sitters, time off work, etc. for the new dates.

At the beginning of August, the hotel emailed to say they were still closed and they would have to cancel or move our booking again (to a different hotel). We asked for a refund at this stage as 1. Portugal still wasn't on the safe travel list 2. we'd now paid out over €1500 to a hotel that we'd had to change twice 3. the whole thing was originally intended for an event that was now null and void 4. We also would be unable to get any more time off work (certainly for the next year) and 5. There was so much uncertainty. We cancelled flights and all the other stuff.
Earlier this week - just two weeks before the cancelled booking, the hotel contacted us to say that they were now open again (even though <they> cancelled our booking). They said that because they were now open, they would not issue a refund. We are now starting legal proceedings against them.

Therefore, be very careful!

I would not advise booking at the moment tbh, as the hotel may close again and you will be left out of pocket. I understand that travellers should be flexible, and we were - twice - but when the hotel themselves are the ones to cancel, a refund should be issued.

Date of stay: March 2020
4  Thank CovidBride
Reviewed 12 June 2020 via mobile

We stayed a long weekend and couldn’t have hoped for a better place to stay. The hotel is beautiful, very private and offers excellent service. We enjoyed brunch in the great little restaurant/bar downstairs and drinks in the upstairs library. One of the most beautiful hotels I’d be stayed in.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessOnHolidayAgain
Reviewed 17 May 2020 via mobile

First of all, if your thinking of visiting Porto you MUST stay here.

Should have written this review months ago but only just getting around to it...

Myself and my partner have stayed in beautiful hotels all over the world, we both agree this is our favourite!

From the moment you walk in the decor flows through the hotel with so much thought put into every detail, it really is just beautiful and so elegant but in an interesting way with exotic palms, gold finishes & incredible architecture throughout.

Not to mention the team, they are hands down the best hotel team we have ever met. From start to finish they took care of us, giving knowledge on the city, booking us dinner each night at different restaurants and booking tours.

The manager Goncarlo I believe his name was, from start to finish made sure our experience was perfect, checking how breakfast was each morning (incredible by the way, high quality food made fresh to order each morning) even down to using Nespresso coffee, we didn’t want breakfast to end...

The rest of the team where also amazing, Mariana I think was the Ass Manager / Front of house was also brilliant. The rest of the team, unfortunately I don’t remember all the names where just fantastic and should all be rewarded for all the hard work & the experience they create.

The hotel is in perfect location and not too far from the airport.

In short, you must stay here, it’s an experience in its self regardless of visiting Porto

Sophie & Anton