“Great Indian restaurant and even better service”
Review of Mendi

Mendi
Ranked #118 of 2,015 Restaurants in Porto
Price range: US$31 - US$39
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2017

Although I am not a fan of foreign cuisines while traveling, I was convinced by my better half and was more than happy to have eaten here.

As we were traveling with our 9 month old the owner immediately gave us a bigger table and even took time to introduce himself, play with our daughter and share his and our stories.

I love spicy food and even in India I had to repeatedly ask for "non-tourist spicy" but "loca-spicy". At Mendi, the owner asked me level 1, 2 or 3 of spiciness and I chose 3, which was superbly spicy, yet enough to taste the delicious mutton curry. My fiancee had a very delicious palak paneer and we shared a tandoori kabab.

Yes, it is a higher priced restaurant for Porto or Portugal in general, but as a reviewer before me said "great quality has its price".

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

Não há que enganar. There is no mistake! Near Sheraton and former Meridian hotel, Mendi is by far the best quality Indian restaurant in Porto. It is not cheap. Quality has a price. Rather small but cozy, this family restaurant has a fantastic and superb service. Not luxurious but rather practical and very friendly. I am a client for at least 10 years and am always surprised with the quality and friendly service.
Agora em Português: venho regularmente há uns 10 anos e fico sempre surpreendido com a qualidade e simpatia do serviço. Recomendo vivamente.

1  Thank jescalm
Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

We were here for 2 dinners and we enjoyed both the meals. The service was just great. One does get the feeling that it might be a little overpriced, but I guess the taste and the service make up for it. I would recommend it highly.

PS: if anyone from the restaurant is reading this review, then the only thing which can be better is the quality of the paneer used in an otherwise perfect dish :-)

Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

Typical non brit european indian. Average for a fix but nothing to have me singing higher praise. Nothing wrong though.

1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 30 November 2016

We were a bit anxious about having a curry in Portugal having had a stinker in Spain.It is a small restaurant and we had the lunchtime deal which was a tasty chicken curry with a very fresh nan.I then had some delicious kulfi.We were a bit taken aback by the a la carte prices as curry is usually a cheaper meal for us but as we did not try any mains from the carte it is difficult to say if the quality justified extra cost.The water was very expensive compared to what we had paid locally.The staff were friendly ,the service was a bit slow but the small restaurant was busy at lunchtime.