We went there as a young couple for a weeks winter break in November. We paid extra for a sea view and for an apartment with a kitchenette. The location was amazing - the view from our room was over banana plantations (not a full sea view!) but interesting and you weren't really overlooked by other hotels. The view from the outside pool was an amazing full panorama of sea. We had some awesome sunset views.
The breakfast has a big range, with some different things every day and very helpful staff. A good selection of fruit and breads, as well as the standard fried breakfast.
The suite itself was very large, with a big lounge, kitchenette in a cupboard, decent balcony with table and chairs, big bedroom (two double beds pushed together!) and bathroom off the bedroom. A/C in all rooms. The kitchenette was a hob with fridge and sink. Cutlery limited - no corkscrew! but sufficient to cook basic meals.
The service wasn't always very friendly, but they were always helpful and we couldn't really complain. Wifi is free in public areas but the codes change every day so you have to ask at reception. Pool towels are provided with the room. The layout of the hotel is slightly odd - three buildings on a slope so to go between you have to walk through long corridors and up to different floors in the lifts even though they are the same level. Slightly confusing! All facilities in the spa were clean and not very busy at this time of year. Huge and full range of facilities in the gym.
The hotel is a little out of the town, but the buses are frequent (#2 stops outside). The bus system is a bit like an oystercard - you load a giro card up with money and swipe this when you get on the bus. We hired a car from the Sixt hire scheme which was very close to the hotel near the Madeira forum. It was ~70 euros for two days which is equivalent to two of us going on one of the hotel trips. Great fun driving on some of the crazy roads up to the centre of Madeira! We did a very wet walk up to the tallest peak and along levada nova. The former definitely requires walking boots and a rain coat....! The latter was a very easy flat walk along a concrete almost canal path - we were in flip flops which was fine but everyone passing us was in full walking gear, poles and all, which were not required!
The Madeira Forum is a large shopping centre only about 5minutes walk away that has a decent supermarket for supplies and some restaurants. Very handy for self catering! The restaurants here are fast food pizza etc but there are a few 5min walk away from the hotel towards the sea. We had a very nice mexican dinner, but a more disappointing dinner at the fish restaurant above the rock pools. The rock pools are just below the hotel and look fun but maybe not in November weather! there is also an entertaining tunnel through to Praia Formosa.....
Overall, we had a very relaxing stay here. The facilities were never very busy so it was almost like having your own spa and indoor pool. The quality of the hotel was fantastic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Residence welcomes you to a enchanting 4-star hotel in an excellent location on the south coast of Madeira. Overlooking the sea and some imposing cliffs, the opportunities for fantastic sunsets are offered every day during your holidays. Once inside, the hotel is built with many open spaces to make the most of the natural light and a modern and luxurious design with comfortable and functional public areas to rest, relax, read or socialize with your fellow guests. The atmosphere is complete with the panoramic sea views and some of the banana plantations still existing in Funchal. More than a hotel, at the Golden Residence you will find the perfect solution for a holiday where well-being and relaxation will take on a new meaning for you. The excellent service and careful attention for small detail is what makes the difference. ... and we encourage you to discover its many charms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Agoda, TravelUp and HotelQuickly so you can book your Golden Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Residence Apartment Funchal
- Hotel Golden Residence Apartment
- Golden Residence Madeira/Funchal