2,965 results
All reviews main restaurant moonlight bar branded drinks all inclusive hotel pool area show cooking water and soft drinks themed restaurant all inclusive package lobby bar lovely hotel evening entertainment plenty of choice guest relations aqua aerobics beautiful island great holiday
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Not long been back from a week here. The hotel is lovely we had a lovely newly refurbished room on the eighth floor full sea facing, it was perfect. Housekeeping 10 out of 10.all staff was really nice,. Enjoyed the underground salt pool and jaccuzies. Now the not so good , evening entertainment was mainly round the pool and was aimed at the older senior age group, I am not young myself (early sixties) but felt young compared to the clientele here, so the feeling of the hotel came across as mainly catering for the older generation. This is why we felt it was not for us. But cannot fault the hotel. Mark and Diana.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diana L
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have just returned from a week at the hotel following a visit their three years ago which inspired me to return! It is a nice hotel and first timers will be impressed but in my opinion it was not as good as my last experience. My room was clean but on arrival the toilet seat was loose and the sink did not empty correctly (the seat was repaired but not the problem with the sink). I was on the 7th floor on the left wing and as been mentioned previously there are some noisy large air conditioning units outside the hotel at ground floor level with their motors running 24/7 which does not allow you to sit on the balcony with ease. Also another annoying noise comes from the extractor fan in the bathroom which continually runs I asked for it to be turned off but was told it could not!!! bizarre! There was also a smell of cigarette smoke on the corridors I am unsure of the smoking policy here I could not find one!
The restaurant (main dining room) sadly appears now like a school dining room with no tablecloths with not as many waiters serving the tables. There appears to be much less variety and I experienced some luke warm/cold food, the deserts were bland and again limited choice. The hot food at lunch available at the Poolside restaurant could again be cold having been left in the trays with no rotation to bring out replacements of fresh food.
The same problem with the sunbeds if you want to get one around the pool you will have to be down well before 8.0 clock as they are taken by towels!! the only ones left will be those that are grouped together with no room for movement. These are ok if you don't mind rubbing shoulders with your neighbour. Also for the week I was there they had a falcon and its handler walking around the pool area letting the bird dive bomb the guests which if you don;t like birds could have been traumatic.
The staff were not as pleasing to guests as before especially those in reception that appeared to be stressed out with work!
This review is my comparison to my previous visit, in conclusion the hotel has lost all that which to me made it special, I am unsure if they are attempting to reduce costs but there are much better hotels out there! I won't be returning as there previous past high standards have definitely dropped

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the refurbishment work or can be noisy!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank lawnswood999
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Returned yesterday after 2 weeks at this lovely hotel. i would agree with other reviews that it is more 4 star than 5, main reason for us was the pre mixed cocktails and the packed in sunbeds with no room in between for side tables. Also the awful enotel song that was blasted out several times a day. many people were dozing after lunch so to have the song suddenly played at 2 in the afternoon was not appreciated.
But the good points outweighed the bad.
We had booked a double room with side sea view on the top floor, we were lucky to be given a room with 2 double beds on 10th floor overlooking the sea with full pool view. I had also requested tea/coffee etc in room which was there waiting for us along with a bottle of bubbly for our anniversary,
Everywhere was very clean, communal areas and room, pool area was regularly hosed down in the mornings. Food choices were good in the buffet and the Italian snack bar at lunchtimes. We ate in the Brasserie which we didn't really enjoy as there was no choice and the beef main course was inedible. However the Italian was lovely with menu choices, we had 2 meals here. We also ate at the Brasserie twice, the menu choices here were good, different for the hotel guests than their normal menu but still good.
The temperature of the main pool was slightly cool but good when it was very hot and we were pleased with its size as it actually looked bigger than the pictures, we mainly used the indoor pool for swimming as it was a good size for lengths.
We explored the local area with a 5 day ticket on the yellow open top bus which for us was excellent value, we also did their half day north west tour.
The evening entertainment was of varied quality, piano players in the lobby bar, the lady player was the best and in the outside area we loved the saxophone player duet.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to combine chill out time with exploring the island as it is far enough away from the main bustle of Funchal but close enough either by walking or bus.

1  Thank robinsl
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hotel was ok but we would not say 5* by any means firstly we were allocated a room which was so noisey with generators for air con and traffic not at all peaceful and no tea coffee making facilities which we had booked after complaining we were given a much better room and were thankful for that.Food was okish but everything seemed to be cooked or marinaded in garlic which I have an intolerance to so I. lived on soup bread and cheese for 2 weeks.However the entertainment staff were really good and engaged everyone in a really friendly way

1  Thank Judith T
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Good location - 30/40 minutes walk to the centre of Funchal. Bus stop and taxi ranks within minutes. Hotel well maintained and very clean All staff friendly and helpful. Plenty of choice in the restaurants and food available at other times in the sports bar. Service in the restaurants probably the best we have experienced. Service at bars also good. Large swimming pool and adjoining small pool for children and an indoor pool. Gym and spa. Plenty of sunbeds although a bit close together making it difficult to get to sometimes when guests move their sunbeds to get full benefit of the sun and block the gangways between the beds. Varied entertainment in the evenings. Day time activities including water aerobics without pressure to participate. Falcon keeps pigeons away from the hotel. Really enjoyed Madeira and intend to return - would have no reservation in staying at this hotel again.

2  Thank Graham L