“One of those things you just have to do.”

Afternoon Tea Time at Reid's Palace, A Belmond Hotel, Madeira
Ranked #54 of 787 Restaurants in Funchal
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Choose from delicate finger sandwiches, freshly baked scones and homemade pastries, all accompanied by your choice from a selection of 24 teas or an indulgent glass of champagne. This elegant afternoon tradition is something Belmond Reid's Palace is proud to continue. Available daily from 3pm to 4:30pm.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This really is a classy hotel with lots of history and you can imagine Churchill walking through it’s corridors.
Afternoon tea was served on the covered terrace looking down to the hotel grounds and out to sea. A wonderful location.
For 2 people : 5x2 pieces of mixed bread sandwiches - prawn, salmon, cheese, egg and cucumber, avocado and tomato.
2 scones with butter, 2 small pots of jam, butter, cream
8 assorted small cakes, meringues, pastries
Choice of over 25 teas.
We took up the glass of champagne option. No refills!
The staff were very attentive. We were offered more of everything and it was difficult to decline, but it was very filling, even with pacing ourselves. We were finished in an hour.
Same comments as other posters about dress code - refuse entry if they can’t make an effort.
Location - wow, food - ok, ambience - good, service - good.
We booked 3 weeks before and only managed to get a booking for the day before we came home from our two week holiday. The overall cost was about the same, or even less, than many non-descript British hotels offering afternoon tea. It’s one of those things you have to experience. It’s now ticked off our bucket list.

1  Thank brist0lcelt
Write a reviewReviews (1,374)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked well in advance and really looked forward to this bucket list occasion.
Arrived early to get a prime balcony edge table and so with some time to kill from 2.30 to 3.00pm asked if there was a bar to have a drink to be told by the rather snooty female server that there was no bar open until 5pm. Not really believable in a five star hotel and it smacked of trying to keep us afternoon tea riff raff away from the residents.
We had dressed up for the occasion I might add. Dress standards were mixed with some men in shorts and even young children at tables which did rather detract from the atmosphere.
We were offered extra tea, cakes and scones without even asking and the quality of the food was good and decent value. Champagne was €19 per glass extra in addition to the €36 per head afternoon tea.
Didn’t feel that I would be rushing back to stay at Reid’s, but the view from the terrace was to die for. We had in fact visited a few days before just to see the lay or the land and were able to walk straight in to have a look.

2  Thank araf
Reviewed 10 September 2021

The location where the afternoon tea takes place is a beautiful balcony in a legendary hotel. I was not expected same quality food than 5 star hotels in UK but in my mind I thought that at least would be good. Sandwiches were on the simple side and scons were a disappointment. I have had better scons in any countryside tea shop in England way far better than these. The tea pastries were the worse. No taste at all and they dont know neither how to make macarons. So not only they defiled English pastries but also French.
I don't think they know that different teas need water at different temperatures, our tea came with boiling water that stripped away its soul. The teapot doesnt have a way to take the leaves out so our Sencha that normally needs 1 min brew was only potable at the first cup, after that it became super bitter.
Service was not particularly friendly and although we heard other tables were offered additional food we were not, so we had to call to ask for another pot of tea.
In regards of the ambiance we took effort in dressing up, however lots of tourists arriving in flip flops and sport shoes were welcomed to stay, despite the website clearly says that is not the appropriate dressing code. All in all you just pay for the views as if you think just on the food and tea served it is very overpriced.

2  Thank 316ceciliap
Reviewed 29 August 2021

Staying at the Reid Palace, I felt it was appropriate to try this afternoon tea which many were swooning about.

As noted by other reviewers about dress code, it felt a waste of time to dress up when other house guests come in shorts and sandals...I note that many come for the views but it wasnt anything special for me at least because the room I stayed had a more spectacular view.

Now for the food. I am writing this review in the perspective of comparing high teas served in 5 star hotels in London and the Reids Palace.

Sandwiches were dryish and the fillings were nothing innovative or imaginative. Only the king prawn sandwich was good. The pastries were very ordinary if were to be very generous....little cheesecake topped with some cream, meringues that were chewy and hardly edible (that was truly shocking) or even sponge cakes dressed with some flowers. Its not the garnishing that matters but the taste and fluff without substance is what I would describe the pastries. Overcritical as this would sound, try the high tea at Mariage Freres at Covent Garden or even Rosewood hotel in London and you will see what magic they whip up.

I was told that the teas from the establishment comes from Loja do Cha in Funchal and I do know that they supply very good quality teas. The Japanese Sencha I ordered was all brown and bitter, it should come out as luminous light green (I have tasted the same tea at the shop), they used boiling hot water...in my opinion if you are not able to properly serve teas which only require boiling hot water then dont bother serving the other varieties rather than flaunting a list of teas where the flavours are destroyed...oh and the strainer....old world charm of course but the tea came out with full of sediment at the bottom.

Scones were average. My high tea was half consumed and I completed the experience in 35 minutes. If you are not staying at the hotel and would like to sample a bit of the old world charm and ambience, then do go ahead - if you are looking for a high tea concomitant with the reputation it has garnered, I was sorely disappointed. One thing to note though in fairness, it was pretty cheap at 36 euros not including champagne.........

Date of visit: August 2021
3  Thank leeauntan
Ciriaco C, General Manager at Afternoon Tea Time at Reid's Palace, A Belmond Hotel, Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2021

Dear leeauntan,

Thank you very much for taking the time for writing your review.

I would like to take this opportunity to present my sincere apologies for the shortcoming you have encountered during your Afternoon Tea experience. It is indeed very disappointing when expectations are not fulfilled, and for me, every time that we are not able to meet our valued clients wishes, is a failure, a missed opportunity.

I would like to thank you very much for your feedback, it has been matter of discussion with all the people involved, and an opportunity to evaluate our performance and to correct what we haven't properly done.
Once again, thank you very much for your contribution.
With kindest regards,

Ciriaco Campus
Reid’s Palace
A Belmond Hotel
Madeira

Reviewed 20 August 2021 via mobile

We were lucky enough to get a cancellation during our stay so, firstly, a big thanks to the food and beverages manager for sorting and communicating so well with us.

The terrace setting offers stunning views of the sea and harbour.

As for the food- wow! The sandwiches were so fresh and the scones so light and fluffy. The waiting staff are so attentive and were continually offering more food.

The champagne was delicious as well!

Date of visit: August 2021
2  Thank LizzieS606
Ciriaco C, General Manager at Afternoon Tea Time at Reid's Palace, A Belmond Hotel, Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2021

Dear LizzieS606,

I sincerely thank you, on behalf of our staff, for visiting us and for the lovely comments you've shared.

I will surely share with our team your nice words, especially with our F&B Manager. These types of comments are indeed the greatest motivation and payback for the efforts we undertake to walk the extra mile to satisfy our guests.

I am happy to read that you managed to get a table and this has highlighted your stay.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Ciriaco Campus
Reid’s Palace
a Belmond Hotel
Madeira

Travellers who viewed Afternoon Tea Time at Reid's Palace, A Belmond Hotel, Madeira also viewed

Been to Afternoon Tea Time at Reid's Palace, A Belmond Hotel, Madeira? Share your experiences!