See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 January 2018

We are a well travelled older couple. We have stayed in hostels and hotels all over Western Europe from 1* to 5*. I can honestly say that this is the worst place we have ever chosen to stay through the internet. The whole building was shabby, areas that had needed repair had been shoddily patched up. In general the public areas looked clean and tidy but on closer inspection they were rough. Should there be a fire I am not sure how safe the building would be it was as if the whole place was crumbling.
More specifically we were offered the choice of two rooms. The first was on the second floor and was dark with a view into the building next door. It smelt of cigarette smoke. The second room was on the top floor, it was much brighter with a large window overlooking the roof tops of the city. It smelt of cigarette smoke. As it was 3 pm and we had now where else to go we booked in. Closer inspection of our room was as follows. The ceiling was old polystyrene tiles which lined a corrugated roof, the bedding was torn and thin, the shower basin was two pieces of plastic stuck together and semi sealed to the corner walls of a tiny cupboard of a room. The base of the shower was the floor of the room with a make shift drainage hole. If the shower was not hand held there was a flood all over the outer floor. The furniture was very very basic and rickety with no bedside lamps. The lighting was not sufficient to read by. Looking at our room from the street, it looked as if a terrace had been covered over with corrugated plastic and filled in with make shift walls and window. We went into the city, found another hotel and was able to book in the following day. However the female staff were very friendly and helpful. When we booked out the next day the male receptionist did not seem surprised.

Room Tip: There aren’t any.
Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2016

Port do Sol is very well located within walking distance from the city centre. Old building that would benefit from some restoration, simple but enough for sleeping, shower and quick breakfast. friendly staff. cheap place, not for everyone.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2016

I booked this place in January needing a break for health reasons. I saved about a £100 compared to a proper hotel. What a mistake indeed... When I arrived I noticed there was a dark, forbidding atmosphere to the hostel. Situated close to one of Funchal's main arterial roads this was never going to be quiet. My first room had barking dogs too all day and evening to contend with. That and a worn mattress, a sewage pipe that ran through my room from upstairs soon had me asking for a room change.The next was brighter but more noisy with non-stop traffic sounds.. Plus guests who slammed doors and one guy who had his tv so loud you could hear everything word for word in my own room; this at the small hours of the morning. culminating in my asking the night man to quieten him down. he had to enter the room as the man was unconscious and drunk and turned his tv off, removing the remote so I could sleep.This was a man who earlier I had helped up from the hallway floor in his drunken state at 7pm. Along the corridor was a young man who being deported from his North American country for at least one year was now making mayhem here by trying to deal drugs within the hostel. I heard him knocking on doors round eleven or twelve pm asking to sell drugs... usually a short conversation would ensue with regards to the price etc.. I now had words with the manageress who later told me she had spoke to both persons but they were "nice" men and obviously not capable of being as I described.. Clueless really.The rooms , all being with useless single- glased windows ,were generally light walled with almost black 1930's old /broken furniture usaully in a cramped setting. The shower rails were held up by string in two of them.. There was a good supply of hot water but useless as the shower curtains had no weight to them and were sucked into the shower when the hot shower was on; thus involving a constant fight. These rooms were so cramped that you either left the shower walking into the toilet or into the boxed mirror above the sink; which I did gashing my forehead badly. That and a wardrobe door that opened two inches only into my bedside table plus a worn mattress without a protector completed the picture.. The television did not adjust properly but they had no replacement and were not bothered... The lighting was abysmal in the first room but good in the second..As for the kitchen, dining area. Two small tables only which forced guests into a lounge area.. The breakfast choice was pathetic indeed. Cornflakes, puffed-up white bread rolls. jam if you were lucky, the same applied to pork and processed cheese slices .A cheap nescafe coffee was in the water heater plus tea bags most days.. So, basically I paid for £2.50 a day for a meal which was not always available !, The manageress did not care! I felt sorry fro the two German ladies who shared one bread roll betwen them on their last day due to the mis- management of this place.. The staff were overall friendly but nevertheless ineffectual so what was the point indeed? I would never stay here again and would ask that you look elesewhere ;indeed there are plenty of hostels here, surely none worse than this? As my ex-wife used to say; "Buy cheap, get cheap!".. she was right...john

Room Tip: Want a good room ? Go elsewhere ! !
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank valuematters
Reviewed 26 July 2015

We stayed here for a week, since the price was fantastic, considering the closeness to the city centre. We were able to go out to the clubs on the weekends just walking, and to do some shopping there was a nearby Dolce Vita Shopping Mall. The rooms were cleaned daily and very well.
We did saw some bugs, but for anyone who has been to Madeira knows: it's normal. Several years ago I stayed with my parents in one of the 5 star hotels in the Lido area (can't remember the name... something Bay) and we saw the same, even worse, to be honest.
I liked it, and can only recommend :)

Stayed: May 2015
Reviewed 26 July 2015 via mobile

The first thing I noticed during my stay was the kindness of the staff, which began as soon as I checked in. The breakfast is a bit basic but tasty, especially the freshly baked bread. I stayed in room nr. 25 which had a balcony with an amazing view of Funchal. The room was cleaned everyday and always looked neat. There's also a terrace on the first floor where I usually had breakfast. What I really enjoyed about the hostel was that it's full with young people and you can really get to know different people from all over the world (mostly Europe, though). I will surely stay there in my next trip to Madeira.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo