“Beware of Bait and Switch”
Review of Fragil Mar, Lda

Fragil Mar, Lda
Ranked #3,632 of 4,304 Restaurants in Lisbon
Reviewed 24 June 2015

You know how they say that if everyone is sitting at one place, and no one is at the place next to it, go to the one that has all the customers? Well, don't do that here. They have all the customers because they practically gang tackle you to get you in the door. Also, they have mouthwatering pictures of the food open in the menus at each place setting. Beware.

The meal did not seem so bad while we were eating, although it really did not taste like fresh fish and was the worst we had so far this week. Then when we got the bill, it definitely became our worst meal! The prices charged were not what we expected.
1) They charged for the bread --- OK, I guess that is the norm here
2) They added a service charge -- once we complained, they took it off but
Here is where it gets worse.....
3) The tuna I had was 4 Euros more than the price in the picture.
4) My husband's mixed seafood was supposed to have a squid in it and instead had the boniest part of some unknown fish.
5) The wine we asked for (at 12.95) was not the wine which was served or charged for (17.50). When we complained about that they whisked the empty bottle off the table.
6) As we were complaining, they started shouting at us:
"I've been to America -- I always pay for service there!"
"You used this much [his fingers were showing an inch on the small bottle] of olive oil, and we didn't charge for that!"

Do not go to this place. In fact, as you go past it and please warn other potential customers away.

There are newer reviews for Fragil Mar, Lda

Reviewed 10 February 2015 via mobile

The fresh fish looks very good from the outside but is not so good once u eat it inside the restaurant. The mixed fish grill is poor. The chicken peri peri was better but still lacked flavour. The wine was not expensive but still overpriced for what it was. Would not return.

Reviewed 23 September 2014

We were out walking on our first night in Lisbon. We were literally hustled into this outdoor restaurant. We ordered wine (house wine, we said) and the waiter brought out a bottle. I asked him what kind of wine it was and the cost. He said 37 euros. I asked him not to open it. He said "cheapskate". That should have been our first clue. The rest of the evening (we KNOW, we should have left) went the same. The food was fine. The service was absolutely horrible. When they brought the bill, they said their debit machine was down. We insisted and suddenly it was fixed. They had added the tip onto the bill. When we commented that the tip was included, this waiter again said "cheapskate". When my husband and our friend went inside to use the machine, the waiter said to me "Are you from the U.S.". I said "No. We're from Canada." He said "That explains why you are so cheap". It got worse from there and we reported the abuse to the manager. The manager said the waiter was having problems at home and he had sent him home. Not our problem! I also want to thank the people who stood up and supported us during that altercation. I would NEVER go to that restaurant again. There are so many good restaurants with friendly waiters and good food. Don't waste your time! Nobody needs that - especially on vacation!

Reviewed 11 September 2014

We hadn't read any of the reviews before going there, and I guess our experience was better than some. We were upsold to a much pricier entree, grilled and filleted fresh sea bass, and it was the best I've ever had. This was our first meal in Lisboa and we were not aware there would be a charge for bread but didn't object to it. What WAS unusual was an unexplained €20 charge!! When we questioned it it was removed with the comment "the boss made a mistake". Be sure to check your bill!!

It's interesting to note that Fragil Mar Lda was very busy and some of the other establishments had fewer or hardly any customers. Our rating would've been very good to excellent based on the food alone but I've reduced it due to mediocre service and ripoff attitude.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our 1st dinner out in Lisbon and we were being ripped off and cheated. They have aggressive waiters waiting on the street selling you the "Portuguese-ness" of their restaurant, and if you don't follow them, they tell you all other restaurants are not portuguese.

We ordered some over-priced dishes which was good for our 1st portuguese meal, but at the moment you finished, they can't wait to clean your table and give you the bill for the next round of big fish.

The waiter will come with the bill and act as if he is reading (from the bill) to you the dishes you ordered, he than put the bill on the table and you naturally will pay the amount as indicated in the bill.

BUT - we find out there's an items they added on the bills we don't know what it is - it is written "diverse - 8 euros" and when we ask the waiter to explain to us, he tell us this is the tax, we have no clue so we pay for whatever he said. While swapping my credit card, he literally ask me to put down some tips on the table. (?!) and he refused to give a copy of the bill for me to keep. All the action is taken in a very fast paste you just feel it is very natural and normal while he is cheating.

After a few dinners in Lisbon, we realised that this "diverse" items is not tax since tax should be indicated as "tax", so we guess was being cheated.

They are the 1st restaurant in this street to be packed with tourist-customers everyday, so it's very attractive to tourists. Basically we shouldn't have go to this tourist trap. :```(

2  Thank KitHung