“Loft in the sky!”

and 1 more site!
Happy@Chiado
Ranked #115 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed at this quaint cozy loft in April for a couple nights. It's a good hike to this 5th floor walk up...no elevator...but what awaits you is certainly worth it for the very affordable rate (€25) and super accommodating, kind, cool, and hospitable hostess, Patricia. She is awesome! My room was adorable...nicely decorated....spacious....and comforting. Beds were very average...but again...rates very cheap and I wasn't in Lisbon to sleep too much. There is a great kitchen available to use for all guests if you desire to do so....I prefer to 'eat out' while traveling and indulge in a city/country's cuisine! Room also had a little balcony...view was somewhat limited but it was a cool bonus nonetheless to leave the doors open at night and feel a connection to the outside while sleeping. The balcony really added to my room! (Not certain if all rooms have balconies though) Bathrooms are shared...and very simple...so don't expect much there. But again...I was not in Lisbon to bathe in some luxurious 5 star bathroom. That is what my home is for... The bathroom certainly suffices for a bathrooms intentions! Two major things to point out.... 1st) There is no lighting in the stairway/hallway...so you need to use some sort of lighting to SEE at night. Download a flashlight app to your phone and you'll be fine. 2nd) Signage outside....there isn't any?! Know the address (#) and directions...and just ring the buzzer on the panel...they will answer and your anxieties will subside...lol! If not....go grab an expresso and pastel de nata from anyone of the pastry shops on Loreto up the street to the left of the hotels exit. Happy @ Chiado, which I definitely was, sits between the Bairro Alto and Chiado areas of Lisbon....it is a very short walk from the Baixa-Chiado metro stop on Loreto off of Praca de Camoes square (there are 2 churches off the square for reference). The metro from Lisbon airport takes you there. It is extremely simple to navigate. Enjoy your stay at this little delight in the sky....I did!

Room Tip: Ask for balcony....off of street (rear of hotel)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Timola26

Reviewed 13 May 2013

The way Chiado is organized I imagined an authentic Portuguese accommodation: old building attic with a small balcony and striking city view, complicated indoors, antique furniture. Bathroom units equipped and clean, the kitchen is fully stuffed with everything one may need. Liked, liked, liked! Best regards to the staff!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ninkhen
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed at Happy@Chiado in January for a few nights on a Lisbon break.

The guesthouse was great. The rooms were massive and amazing value for money, the bathrooms are shared, but during my stay i didn't even see another guest so felt like it was a private bathroom for me.

Location wise, i dont think you could get any better, it was smack bang in the middle of Barrio Alto, granted there was a large hike up about 4 flights of stairs, i really didnt think this was an issue at all, in fact maybe a positive as being higher up you cant hear all the crazy noise from the streets below.

The only slight negative maybe was the thin walls between my room and the next one. you could pretty much hear everything in the next room as if it was in your own room.

Overall though i would for sure recommend this guesthouse to anyone on a budget, it was clean and in a stunning location.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Melb1985
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I must admit, I am torn in my review. I think my conclusion is that it depends on what you want in your stay in Lisbon. I stayed in a front room with a single twin bed. Here are my thoughts:

On the one hand, the staff was very nice, the room and bathrooms were clean, it is really close to the subway (Barrio Alto) to get to and from the airport, the location is great, and 25 euros is cheap.

However, on the other hand, the front room was noisy, noisy, noisy, Barrio Alto is crowded and dirty, the stairs after a week of traveling are killers, the single bed is really small (I am 130 lbs and 5'7" and thought I would fall out) and you can hear your neighbors talk, open their closets, and sneeze.

As for the outside noise, they told me that it calms down at about 2am (wasn't thrilled to hear that) but the truth was that it may have calmed down at 2am but then what was left were the drunks screaming in the streets! As for the noise inside, glad no one snored and I had to leave at 6am for my plane. However, sleep was not what I got there.

I stayed in Rossio when I first arrived in Portugal and when I came back, I stayed in Barrio Alto. I think I am probably better off near Rossio. It is calmer and quieter, which is more my style at age 40, and is closer to more of the attractions that I wanted to see versus the night life and chaos.

So, it depends what you want while in Lisbon. It is a great price for a clean space and you are right in the middle of the action. Staying in the back rooms might be quieter, I don't know.

PS. If you stay, the light switches for the stairs are on each landing. Don't forget to turn them on or you are in the dark. They are also timed. Also, you are carrying your luggage. No one there to help you out on the four story climb.

Room Tip: I would ask for a back room and a double bed, even if I were a solo traveler.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank traveler1202
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Amazing place for only EUR20 a night. I stayed in the huge African theme room, which had a separate lounge, tv and balcony (room 9). Friendly and helpful staff. Kitchen to make food and or coffee/tea. Great location! I'd definitely stay here again and recommended the place to all my friends. In Porto I paid EUR23 for a room per night that didn't even had a window facing outdoors, the window opened onto the staircase, so no privacy.

The shower was blocked, so need maintenance.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo