“A great little place, right in the centre of Lisbon for a fantastic price!”
Review of Happy@Chiado

and 1 more site!
Happy@Chiado
Ranked #115 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2012

A great little place, right in the centre of Lisbon for a fantastic price. The place is really quirky, our room was lovely, clean and light with access to free wifi. Our room also had a little balcony with views out onto the street which was great for people watching. The shared kitchen and bathrooms were also fine, well equipped and cleaned every day. The hotel is really well located, Baixa-Chiado tube station is just a two minute walk away and the Barrio Alto quarter of Lisbon is right on the door step, which during the day is quiet, but at night transforms into a busy and vibrant place packed full of restaurants, bars and quirky little shops that stay open until late. As others have mentioned the only down side of staying here are the stairs, which after a long day walking around Lisbon were a chore to climb – but that wound’s stop us from staying here again!

Room Tip: Book a room at the front of the building which looks out over the street, they're probably a bit...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dogmax_1

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I liked very much this B&B. It quite clean, and very central. 10 minutes walk from Rosio station or 10 minutes to the Cais do Sodre, very close to city center and the shopping area and restaurants. Carlos was very nice and helpful. The kitchen was fully equipped for those that wanted to prepare something for breakfast. The only disadvantage was that the room are situated at the 4th and 5th floor, and after a day of walking in Lisbon, they seem quite difficult to climb. Overall it worth all the money, and even more I could say :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Madalina_eu
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I expected a mediocre place given price point and website photos. What a great surprise! I avoid staying in impersonal, cookie-cutter hotels, preferring places that reflect the culture. This is that sort of place.

Happy@Chiado is in a great old walk-up building. Yes, you'll have to drag your luggage up 4 or 5 flights. My room is large, includes a balcony and small lounge. It's clean and tidy, the wifi is excellent.

The bathroom and kitchen are charming and clean, making you feel right at home.

Service is also great so far, my only complaint is that there was no outdoor signage. Apparently someone took it on Friday so it hasn't been replaced yet. The street changes names multiple times so it was difficult to find until I finally deduced from trial and error that this was the right place.

Well worth it overall. I would recommend and return.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Trickey_travels
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Fantastic location, next Placa de Camoes, two minutes walking from Baixa Chiado metro station.Tram station is just around the corner.Lots of restaurants, pastelarias , a minimarket, shops for everything you need.Very easy to take the train for Sintra and Cascais walking five minutes to Rossio station .
I spent six nights in Lisbon .The guesthouse has more personality out of more hotels I've been.I was impressed by the decoration, specially the lively colors.My room was comfortable, spacious, with a little balcony.All was very clean:the bathroom, a modern kitchen with all appliances, an enormous lounge with a big TV.
No lift, just 72 steps but who cares?I am in Lisbon and I have a little balcony overlooking the city for 16 euro a night.
Carlos, the owner is a good guy, friendly and helpful.He gave me a map and helped me when I had a little problem.
Staying here I made an excellent choice and I hope to stay again.

Room Tip: This is just a guesthouse with few rooms, you need a reservation.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I had a room for 20 euros a night right in the middle of Chiado, on the very last floor, with a small balcony. The room was clean, with a load of light, spacious and exactly what I needed to work on my laptop between long walks in Lisbon. The hosts were very helpful and friendly. There is a kitchen with everything you need and a female/male bathroom, and I didn't have to once wait to use it as there's only a few other rooms on the floor. I would MOST definitely recommend this place for anyone with that sort of budget.

+ Location (right in the middle of EVERYTHING)
+Room (light, spacious and clean)
+ Price (very reasonable)
- Not much space to put your cloth es chest of draw + hanger)
- Can be a little noisy at night, but hopefully you will be out at that time :D Also by shutting curtains and so on you cut quite a lot of it
-No breakfast (but very easy to buy a few fruits and bread from around the corner)
-No lift (B&B is on the fourth and fifth floor). I didn't find this to be an issue myself, apart from taking my luggage up and down, but Carlos from the B&B helped me out), might be something to bear in mind if your physical condition is not great.

I am vegan and found it very easy in Lisbon... They sell a cheap brand + Alpro Soya in supermarkets, as well as alpro soya spread, there was loads of vegan option at a real cheap sushi place 5 minutes from my B&B... I had travelled with loads of food as I was scared of not being able to eat, but actually I could have survived on fruits only, who are so nice there (strawberries as big as apples, apricots, peaches, melon...)

Room Tip: Rooms with no view on the street would be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo