“Good stay”

Marques De Pombal Hotel
Ranked #46 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 27 August 2017

All in all this was a good stay. It is pretty far away from the river and the busy centre (20 minutes on the clock, powerwalking) and the return trip from the center is uphil. However, the subway is very close and I found it to be very useful during my stay. It also very close to the terminal for two companies of hop on/off buses, so you can have a choice between them. The staff was kind, provided me with directions and answers even before checking in and, furthermore, I felt blessed that they managed to provide me with a room when I arrived, earlier than the normal check in time. I booked a standard single room but received a standard twin which overlooked the side street. The windows were great, barely any street noise at the fifth floor (but I always left them closed and the aircon on). The room was spacious, it had two armchairs, a desk, a minibar big enough to fit your own 1L water bottle and a 0.5L one next to it, an iphone dock (which, unfortunately, was fit for older iphones which don't use lightning ports). Both the room and the bathroom were clean and well maintained. The safe in the room was positively huge, I believe it can fit a normal laptop inside. (my netbook fit with plenty of room to spare)

The breakfast may be the only thing I had an issue with - an absolute lack of vegetables. The selection of cold cuts was pretty small and not too mach variety in warm dishes but you could chose enough to have a decent meal each morning. If you are the type that likes some fresh cucumbers, tomatoes or bell peppers with your breakfast, though, you have no luck. There is nothing at all. The juices available also felt rather... not sure how to put it but not too natural.
The pastries selection was fabulous. The serving personnel was very attentive not to let dishes run out.

I didn't spot too many places to eat around and I prefered taking the subway to Restauradores/Rossio/Baixa each night for dinner. I am sure, though, that you can find options closer if you look or ask the reception desk.

All in all, I would recommend this place if you don't mind being a bit out of the way of the busy centre.

Room Tip: The side street was very quiet, not sure if the Avenida ones are the same.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)

Reviewed 21 August 2017

Great hotel and a great stay. We stayed here 3 nights. Close to center of Lisbon (within 15 min walk). Reception was fantastic, customer service top notch and breakfast was included. Rooms were very nice and comfortable, very clean.
It was my wife's birthday during our stay and they had left a bottle of champagne with some desert for us as well as a note wishing her happy birthday.
I loved this hotel, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigBlu4
Reviewed 18 August 2017

The hotel is right on the Avenida de Libertade and our room overlooked a side street but had a decent view over the city. Noise from the street was an occasional problem but OK if you shut the window and used the air-con. Comfortable room with a good bathroom, mini-bar and satellite TV. There is a gym and spa (We didn't use them so cannot comment) and a restaurant/bar. The bar is OK, at the higher price end but was very quiet when we visited. It doesn't appear to be particularly well advertised and we decided to eat out in the livelier parts of the city. Breakfast is buffet style with a decent choice but gets busy around 9.15 and another room is opened. Staff unfailingly friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the avenue
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

This was a very nice hotel. We stayed 3 nights before taking a train to Porto. The hotel itself is on the main shopping district, Liberdade. After having lived in Chicago, IL USA, it appeared similar to the Miracle Mile (Michigan Ave). It is also very close to the public train, which we used to get from the airport to hotel and again from hotel to main train station to connect with our train to Porto. It is a little far from the waterfront and Alfama if you are walking, but still only took us 20-30min to walk mostly anywhere. Cabs are fairly cheap and plentiful is walking uphill and distances isn't accessible.

The room itself was nicely appointed and quiet at night; we did not face Liberdade, though we were able to hear adjoining rooms and individuals in the hallways. The bed was very comfortable and the shower had great pressure, never got cold. We had complimentary breakfast included with our stay and very much appreciated the choices each day, as well as the early hours of operation as we usually were up early to go touring.

I would stay here again if back in Lisbon!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piggottk
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

This is my first visit to Lisbon, and I am pleased to have selected this hotel. After a quick and pleasant check in process, my room was expected and was big, and bright. The safe batteries were low, so I called the front desk for assistance. Within what seemed like minutes, the technician arrived and was already done installing and checking the functionality of the safe. Nice! This hotel is in a great location, clean, and has a very good breakfast selection.

Upon leaving, checkout process was smooth and they kept our bags as we ate breakfast. I would recommend this hotel. Great customer service and hospitality.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple