“Almost a Good Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Almost a Good Hotel”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The previous reviewer has described the hotel fairly accurately. I would call it an "almost" hotel. The rooms are almost big enough, almost well enough laid out, almost quiet enough. The shower head is good but I bump my knee on the tap in the narrow bath. The shampoos are quite good but not replenished. The library is comfortable but too dark to read at night. The terrace has great views but the chairs are hideously uncomfortable. Breakfast is good but replenishment is a little slow. The bench seat leaves my chin at table level.
Given the crowded and hilly nature of Lisbon I think the location is quite good, a little away from the centre, especially if travelling by car. There are some restaurants nearby and the recommendations made by the hotel were good.
Staff are efficient but a bit detached and lack warmth. Almost. There is no cause for serious complaint but some irritations.

Room Tip: We saw two, a roomier one on the first floor and another slightly smaller on the third. We chose th...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TukoPomojaAustralia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The hotel is located in a quiet area with few restaurants in 10-15 minute walking distance. One had to ring the bell to the main door to get in, but the door was always unlocked immediately 24h/d by the reception. There are multiple steps in the hotel, so it is not suitable for people who have mobility problems. Unusual and nice is the library, the terrace with river view and the garden.
Room size is borderline acceptable. Our room was equipped with a small flatscreen TV and a safe. There was no bed reading light, no possibility to switch of/on light from the bed, no possibility to close (not mentioning lock) the bathroom door from the inside, no coffee machine in the room, no mini-bar, no hair conditioner, no make-up mirror, a poor quality hair drier. The room was quite well acoustically isolated from the street. Disturbing was door slamming in the hotel, which resulted from old locks in room doors and the fact that these doors could not be closed quietly. Fortunately all hotel guests tried to behave extremely quiet. Windows in the rooms were also poor quality, with water pouring into the room during heavy rain. Furniture was old and creaking. There was an insufficient number of free electric outlets (2) and they were inconveniently located (far from the bed).
On the positive side: a carafe of complimentary Porto in the room, carpeting in the room, comfortable bed mattress, nice window view from our 3-rd floor room, free WiFi in the room (take a password from the reception for every laptop), complimentary coffee and tea in the Library, a computer with free Internet in the Hotel, good breakfast with fresh pressed orange juice, champagne and Nespresso coffee. Very pleasant – breakfast is until 12.00 (noon). The staff is very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: 3rd floor (close to the Library and better window view)
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank szynka
HeritageLisbon, General Manager at As Janelas Verdes, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments which will help us to clarify some aspects of our Hotel.
As you mention the Hotel is located in a quiet area, in the aristocratic Bairro da Lapa, where you find some of the best local restaurants and it’s also very close to Bairro Alto on one side and the Docas on the other.
Like in a private house, the main door is closed and can be open both by our staff 24h/d, as you say, but also with a key that is given to all our clients together with the room key.
We have different size of rooms and views and they range from standard to superior, Tejo and Eça de Queiróz rooms.
We want our guests to feel like in a friend’s home in Lisbon but with hotel service.
The décor is like a private Portuguese home and we try to keep everything in perfect condition without losing the character of the house.
We will keep on working to improve our guests satisfaction and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Diogo Laranjo - General Manager
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My wife and I stayed three nights in this lovely small hotel. We were very pleased with our choice but I did not give it 5 stars for a couple of reasons. The positives were: The library views were great and the peaceful garden area for breakfast was also great. The room we had was large and clean but with a view of the street. The staff was super friendly and always went out of their way to be helpful. The hotel was full of charm with nice sitting areas, free hot beverages including expresso, and free sherry which was always refilled in the room. We had a large king sized bed but it was a little firm but tolerable (too firm for me but my friends staying in the hotel liked it).

The negatives were: The hotel was kind of off the beaten path and in a very quite area. Some may like this as the bus stopped right outside the hotel but it was a long walk to most of the sites. Our view from the room was of the street and the building directly across the road. The pillows were very small and not very comfortable (however I did not ask for bigger ones). The shower was very narrow and I did not like having the shower curtain rub up against me as I showered. There was no separate conditioner and although there was good water pressure, the water temp was a little too cool so that I had to have only the hot water turned all the way up for warm water. The noise from the street was loud so you could not sleep with windows open, however with windows closed it was quite and we were lucky to be on the third floor. The breakfast although served in a lovely setting did not seem to be worth the 14 euros charged.

All in all I would recommend this hotel and I did enjoy my stay. For the price of the rooms it is a very good value and the staff as well as the cleanliness make up for any shortcomings.

Room Tip: If possible ask for high floor and view of the water our courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank luv2travel63
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Selected this delightful boutique "b & b" after examining all choices on the internet under "luxurious boutique bed and breakfasts". We were well rewarded. The whole staff was very helpful and friendly. Recommendations were excellent for restaurants and "getting around options". We stayed 2 nights in Room 10, and returned later for an additional stay of 5 nights in Room 14. We preferred Room 14 which was just over the street entrance (and larger and more charming). The breakfasts in the lovely garden were wonderfully satisfying. We would certainly like to return.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This is an authentic beautiful hotel off the beaten path but completely convenient to anywhere in Lisbon. I stayed one night in Baxia area which has many shops, restaurants and activity so when I moved to As Janelas Verdes I thought I would feel isolated but I did not. I liked the quiet and slower pace in this neighborhood but that's not to say there isn't night life, arts and restaurants within walking distance because there is.
The hotel staff, particularly Ana was extremely helpful and enthusiastic. The view from the library overlooking the water is breathtaking and there are several gathering rooms throughout the hotel which make it a perfect location for family reunions, birthday's or wedding groups. I am not sure if all the guest rooms have bath tubs but mine did which is a welcome relief after a long day of walking, particularly up so many hills. There are nice touches such as complimentary port wine in our rooms which was perfect for the middle of the night when I couldn't get back to sleep. The honor bar system works great and is well stocked with snacks and beverages. It's more like a small cafeteria with dozens of offerings. I haven't had breakfast yet so can't compare to others but everything I have seen I love and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a peaceful beautiful property.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo